REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
studdog

Highway Driving Rant

C.J.L.
5 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Now there you go , the left lane is for passing so If it were me , I would move over . I have no problem with anyone wanting to drive faster than me . I have a lot of problem for anyone that wants to stay in the left lane when there is opportunity for that driver to move over and let me by . 

I agree.  I wasn't going to say anything but since Al did ....... Some folks simply fail to understand the concept of sharing the road and respect for others.  The left lane is for passing.  Pass and get out of the way.  That is your responsibility to others on the road, the road that is to be shared by all.  You can go about your business and others will go about theirs.  Respect for everyone.  

Millriver

Might have posted this here before, but it was all put into perspective for me last year. I was driving home and on the phone talking to a friend who was driving I93 into Boston. I was about a mile from my house when I came upon one of the local farmers driving his tractor with 2 cars who wouldn't pass him.

I have no problems with the tractor, the farmer is a friend, but was frustrated with the drivers who wouldn't pass him. I made a comment to my friend on the phone who replied "We've been talking for 20 minutes and I haven't moved on the highway, don't complain!" . Snapped me back to reality and I don't worry much about traffic anymore. 

SEPAlander
On 4/20/2019 at 10:30 AM, C.J.L. said:

Another one is the jack hole that speeds up when you go to pass them.  Ive had to "talk" to more than a few of those types while on the road.  Disrespectful fiking ice hoes.

I’ve come to term these folks, “variable speed drivers”, forever speeding up and slowing down to prevent someone from overtaking them. The rank second amongst driving habits I hate, only behind ppl who know their lane is closed, but wait to the very last instance to merge. Glad I work a desk job from home, don’t think I could handle a commute by car.

Bullwinkle

I make a run between central ohio and florida multiple times a years. The left lane is for passing not to block folks you think shouldn't pass you!

WI Outdoor Nut
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 11:17 AM, quailguy said:

The reason we have Interstate Highways is simple: Eisenhower saw how beneficial the German autobahns were in moving military traffic across Germany.  Ike had once, back during WWI, been ordered to take a small convoy across the US from California-to DC. It took them almost one month and he knew that was not good enough. According to a Texas highway engineer I talked with, the Interstate Highway System was designed for cars to be able to travel safely at 120 mph. What he did NOT say was that the drivers of those cars had to be smart enough to DRIVE them.     

Regarding the Autobahn and our interstates, our roads are actually built safer IMHO.  They are wider, softer curves, and lower grades.  In Germany, when you come across a sharp curve, you slow down.  Here, people set the cruise to 85 so they can jump on their phone and catchup on the latest UJ postings and stop thinking about driving.  The biggest difference between the US and the Germans - way more idiot drivers here than there. 

chilly460

I'd rather a guy be speeding and paying attention to what he's doing, than doing 60mph and driving distracted.  I haven't been to Germany but was picked up by a car service in Italy, guy shows up in a big Mercedes with a six speed manual, pretty cool.  160kph on the way in from the airport, it was very early in the morning so traffic wasn't bad but I distinctly remember him barely having to roll out of the throttle the entire time because folks would stay in the right lane, or move when they saw him coming.  

jeff88

The late comedian George Carlin had it right - “anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac” -- according to a new survey on driving habits.

The survey by Michelin North America found that the majority of Americans don’t trust other drivers and say they witness unsafe driving behavior regularly. At the same time, an overwhelming majority - 81 percent - remain supremely confident in their own abilities behind the wheel.

jeff88
43 minutes ago, chilly460 said:

I'd rather a guy be speeding and paying attention to what he's doing, than doing 60mph and driving distracted.  I haven't been to Germany but was picked up by a car service in Italy, guy shows up in a big Mercedes with a six speed manual, pretty cool.  160kph on the way in from the airport, it was very early in the morning so traffic wasn't bad but I distinctly remember him barely having to roll out of the throttle the entire time because folks would stay in the right lane, or move when they saw him coming.  

Chilly,

Having driven in many countries including Germany and Italy, the German's are by far the best drivers I've seen anywhere.  They go through rigorous driving training especially compared to other countries and the US.  Two summers ago I spent a week driving in Italy on highways, in cities and countryside - the Italians are very good drivers, much better that we are.  

For left lane "turtles", in Germany all you have to do is flash your high beams and they quickly merge into the right lane to let you pass.  In the US, you immediately get the middle finger and then they slow down to jerk you around.  

With all our infrastructure needs and an annual decrease in civility on the roads, I've often thought that the US could do good and do well to increase motorist citations by a hundred fold.  Perhaps even fund more LEOs which I believe we badly need.  It's on the books that reckless driving, failure to use the turn signal when turning or changing lanes, high speed driving and cutting off other drivers when changing lanes gather fines and points.  Heck, I've seen drivers do all four in a short space of asphalt - book 'em with each one of the above and get their @$$ off the road.  A year of massive driving citations would do a lot to help with highway funding and lowering the temperatures of drivers on the road.  It would also weed out those who do not belong on the highways at all.  

This is from our hotel just outside of Venice with our rental car:

Venice Hotel Larger Front Photo.jpg

jeff88
On 4/20/2019 at 7:39 AM, gunsrus said:

My wife and daughter are threatening to have my license pulled . I'M NOT THAT OLD YET !!!!

Al, I can help.  Do you recall that I offered to let you adopt me?  I'd back you up.  

quailguy
24 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

Chilly,

Having driven in many countries including Germany and Italy, the German's are by far the best drivers I've seen anywhere.  They go through rigorous driving training especially compared to other countries and the US.  Two summers ago I spent a week driving in Italy on highways, in cities and countryside - the Italians are very good drivers, much better that we are.  

For left lane "turtles", in Germany all you have to do is flash your high beams and they quickly merge into the right lane to let you pass.  In the US, you immediately get the middle finger and then they slow down to jerk you around.  

With all our infrastructure needs and an annual decrease in civility on the roads, I've often thought that the US could do good and do well to increase motorist citations by a hundred fold.  Perhaps even fund more LEOs which I believe we badly need.  It's on the books that reckless driving, failure to use the turn signal when turning or changing lanes, high speed driving and cutting off other drivers when changing lanes gather fines and points.  Heck, I've seen drivers do all four in a short space of asphalt - book 'em with each one of the above and get their @$$ off the road.  A year of massive driving citations would do a lot to help with highway funding and lowering the temperatures of drivers on the road.  It would also weed out those who do not belong on the highways at all.  

This is from our hotel just outside of Venice with our rental car:

Venice Hotel Larger Front Photo.jpg

I’ve driven all over Europe for years and I agree, the Germans and Italians are generally very good drivers. So are most Europeans.  Sometimes

when one mixes the cultures, Germans driving in Scotland, Italians almost anywhere, there are some misunderstandings. The Germans drive like hell unless there is a well marked speed limit. But, for example, there are sections of motorway in the UK where the speed limit is marked as “variable”. Which every German translates into. “Go like hell!!”

I’ve seen the Italians change a 2 lane piece of road into a 5 lane road, with one guy driving his damn little Fiat up on the sidewalk and around a red light.

Out on the Autostrada though its all good. BTW, Italian highway cops can and do drive Maserati’s. There is a sight to see.

In Germany the guy in the left lane better drive like hell or get run over. I’ve had speedy cars blink me out of the left land at night and then go by me so fast I couldn’t tell what model of car it was. I had a big Alpha Romeo Spyder, normally set at 160 or even 180 kph and get blinked over out of the left hand lane 20 times in 40 klicks of autobahn.  

Many Americans have remarked that all the speed is crazy, one does not really make up any time. Well, I’m here to say that if one drives from Munich to Frankfurt at 180 kph you do get there much faster than if you are going 100 kph, which seems to be the normal US driver’s speed limit. 

Oh, and re raising the traffic fine levels in PA and using that to repair the roads, PA already has the highest gas tax in the US. The dirty little secret hidden in that gas tax is that 1st all the money to pay and equip the PA State Police comes out of the gas tax fund, THEN the rest is spent on roads. Mostly.  If we were to give them even more $$$ they would spend it on BS.

https://www.abc27.com/news/pennsylvanias-gas-tax-highest-in-the-u-s-so-where-is-it-going/1108263370

jeff88
25 minutes ago, quailguy said:

Oh, and re raising the traffic fine levels in PA and using that to repair the roads, PA already has the highest gas tax in the US. The dirty little secret hidden in that gas tax is that 1st all the money to pay and equip the PA State Police comes out of the gas tax fund, THEN the rest is spent on roads. Mostly.  If we were to give them even more $$$ they would spend it on BS.

QG, help me out, don't understand the BS comment above.  If the state got more money from fines to spend on police and roads, then that is what I want to see.  Then changing behaviors and taking idiots off the roads is more efficient.  More road citation revenues can allay higher gas tax as well.  Then you get a "three fer" in PA.  

BTW, in recent trips to W and C PA, I am impressed with the conditions of the roads compared to what I left behind in the '90's. 

--------

Not mentioned in this thread is the advent of autonomous driving.  The technology gets better year-over-year -- we may see this as reality pretty soon.  Guess what the biggest impediment to this is?  It's not gps or sensing gear in the cars, it's the non-autonomous driver, that's the biggest wild card in design.  No one can predict them.

chilly460
33 minutes ago, quailguy said:

Many Americans have remarked that all the speed is crazy, one does not really make up any time. Well, I’m here to say that if one drives from Munich to Frankfurt at 180 kph you do get there much faster than if you are going 100 kph, which seems to be the normal US driver’s speed limit. 

It takes awhile to recalculate the brain and realize a 360mi trip in Montana/Wyoming is going to be a 4-4.5hr trip, I love it.   

frak
  • Trucks passing one another, or trying.
  • One car on cruise control passing another car on cruise control.
  • Someone zooming past you, and then slowing down.  (what the heck?)
  • Driving at the speed limit in left lane.
  • Driving with cruise control in right lane oblivious to a string of cars trying to merge on.
  • Driving very slowly in any lane until the text message is sent, then zooming back to speed. 
  • White van with ladders on top in left lane.
  • Pickup with anything in the back in left lane. 
  • Champagne-colored Toyotas.

I think that about covers it for me.

quailguy
47 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

QG, help me out, don't understand the BS comment above.  If the state got more money from fines to spend on police and roads, then that is what I want to see.  Then changing behaviors and taking idiots off the roads is more efficient.  More road citation revenues can allay higher gas tax as well.  Then you get a "three fer" in PA.  

BTW, in recent trips to W and C PA, I am impressed with the conditions of the roads compared to what I left behind in the '90's. 

--------

Not mentioned in this thread is the advent of autonomous driving.  The technology gets better year-over-year -- we may see this as reality pretty soon.  Guess what the biggest impediment to this is?  It's not gps or sensing gear in the cars, it's the non-autonomous driver, that's the biggest wild card in design.  No one can predict them.

I mean that PA Legislature would find some other deal to fund with the money so raised. Something more dear to the hearts of the “Legislature” than mere roads, some do gooder item, i dunno make it up. More electric car charging points or something.  More subway cars in Philly.   IF the money were all actually spent on roads I’d be all for it.  Much of the money is already spent on the State Police.  

Over $750 MILLION bucks is being siphoned off the gas tax fund to pay the Staties already. Lots of PA road user groups are complaining. 

https://www.tribdem.com/news/analysis-finds-too-much-gas-tax-going-to-state-police/article_012997e4-173b-11e7-81c7-07634921a7b3.html

The PA State Police are a benefit for the entire state; why should the vast majority of the money to have them come from one revenue bucket??

kgb
On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 9:14 AM, 406dn said:

A few things I notice about people who like to fly low to the ground. It is amazing how often I'll get passed by the same vehicle numerous times when on a longer road trip. They drive 20mph faster than what I'm driving but make so many stops that they aren't making any better time than I am. If you want to make a trip efficient,, keep rolling down the road.

Unless you are driving 400+ miles in a single trip,, the time you can save driving really hard, is a matter of minutes.

That's a rare event, but I have encountered the pass-and-re-pass phenomenon from speeders a few times over the years.  I have re-passed tractor-trailers or slower towing rigs many times as I do stop relatively frequently on long trips, no idea how often the truck is recognized by those drivers.  Stop times are what they are, and certainly add to a trip's length, the 900-mile trip to PGH is nearly always 15 hours so an average of 60mph comes from driving about 70 and the breaks.  Works for me.

I'm a cruise-control junkie, will use it if it'll engage in 25mph zones!  I usually keep it around or below the speeds of big rigs on interstates, depending on the terrain, and that way am not changing lanes as often.  Sometimes you run into a covey of big rigs swapping leads with one another and I'll usually speed up to get around them, works well in Illinois/Indiana/Ohio but can be a problem in Iowa and PA and course of action is situational.  There are days I'll just let the cruise control do its thing and wind up making a speed-limit-or-a-little-faster rolling road block for a few miles, occasionally a speed racer will then come up behind and get impatient.  The bruise to their ego can't be too bad, so far none have passed out from the stress but ultimately I think they got where they were going.