REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
studdog

Highway Driving Rant

mccuha
1 hour ago, kgb said:

Are there a lot of non-native Minnesotans in St. Cloud?  Seems when you get a lot of "migrants" from other states or parts of the country they care less about their new area than those with generational roots there.  It's what I figured made the area around Ft Meade and likely the whole Washington-Bal'mer metro area so full of rude drivers.

I believe it’s like that everywhere.  But I believe it all has to do with everyone having more things on there plate than they have Time. Rush rush rush everywhere.  It’s a change all over

C.J.L.
1 hour ago, kgb said:

Are there a lot of non-native Minnesotans in St. Cloud?  Seems when you get a lot of "migrants" from other states or parts of the country they care less about their new area than those with generational roots there.  It's what I figured made the area around Ft Meade and likely the whole Washington-Bal'mer metro area so full of rude drivers.

No one with options in life would move to St Cloud on purpose.  

Rogue Hunter

I think the underlaying cause of our disfunction is that there was never a 30-40 year growth projection done for the five town area. Each municipality added/changed roads without regards to their neighbors. Now that the five towns have combined into a small city, the road system is mismatched and doesn't function properly. Streets can't be expanded to accept current traffic levels, traffic lights are not synchronized, etc.  Also doesn't help when retired people drive 5mph below the speed limit at peak times! It all ends up frustrating drivers who start making poor driving decisions.

Rogue Hunter
50 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

No one with options in life would move to St Cloud on purpose.  

So, you know St. Cloud? LOL

C.J.L.

44 minutes ago, Rogue Hunter said:

So, you know St. Cloud? LOL

Former SI's talked my former MI into moving to St Cloud from Chicago (North Brook) to be closer to the SI's in Minn/ST Paul.  What a mistake.  

wijager

I'll be in the left lane going 10 over passing traffic In the right lane I guarantee that, so when you pull up behind me from out of nowhere flash your headlights and believe that's some right you have to make me get out of your way your going to be disappointed.   Why do you believe everyone is suppose to vacate  the area in front of your 20 or more over speed limit rant?  And then when u do pass u cut me off and dont use a blinker!  Go get bent!

kgb
3 hours ago, wijager said:

I'll be in the left lane going 10 over passing traffic In the right lane I guarantee that, so when you pull up behind me from out of nowhere flash your headlights and believe that's some right you have to make me get out of your way your going to be disappointed.   Why do you believe everyone is suppose to vacate  the area in front of your 20 or more over speed limit rant?  And then when u do pass u cut me off and dont use a blinker!  Go get bent!

In Germany the flashing is a fair warning of the speed of an approaching car and reminder of lane discipline that is enforced on the roadway, I don't think it was a feature of cars here in the states until the late 80s or 90s??  I have found them more useful here to warn other drivers of speed traps during the day and as high beam reminders for opposing traffic on 2-lane roads at night.  I have to say I've rarely been flashed by people wanting to pass and am not sure why.  Usually people just close the distance, sometimes tailgate, occasionally weave back and forth like they have to pee really bad until I finish passing traffic and move over for them.  If someone were to roar up flashing lights I'd figure they had an emergency on their hands and would speed up or slow down as required to let them by.  Perhaps I-80 drivers differ quite a bit from those in I-70, I-90 and others, at least the stretches I drive most.

jeff88
12 hours ago, kgb said:

In Germany the flashing is a fair warning of the speed of an approaching car and reminder of lane discipline that is enforced on the roadway, I don't think it was a feature of cars here in the states until the late 80s or 90s??

Once auto manufacturers moved the lights controls fully to the left stalk it became standard to have it control not just the turn signals but brights as well.  Do any of you recall when low/high beam control was on the floor for your left foot to operate?  That was a high end feature when some makes only came with auto trannys.  Some cars still have a separate control for on/off and lighting selections but the ability to flash brights seems standard today.

Like you, I see flashing brights as a courtesy for those coming up, much more polite than tailgating.    For emergency situations, if the driver also puts on their emergency flashers as well as flashing brights, that would be helpful.  

Another rant:  Why do vehicles that are sitting on the emergency shoulder of the highway not using their emergency lights?  Especially at night?  I see this all the time, even when fixing flats.  Idiots!  

Used to drive school buses, now there is a fun job to have especially during the early morning rush hour.  The training we received was much more complete than what regular drivers experience to get their license.  If everyone drove with the over road knowledge and behaviors of a PA school bus driver, it would be a lot nicer on the highway and far more efficient.  My view is that pi$$ poor driving also sucks a good 5-10% more fuel per person.

Anyway, a lot of this will be moot - autonomous driving is within 10 years or so.  Nearer term are drivers "aids" which soon will not allow us to eff up, we will be overruled in the vehicles we drive.  Insurance companies + auto manufacturers are busily engineering out bad driving behaviors.  Watch State Farm commercials.  In addition, a lot of Gen Z are just not getting their licenses.  Remember when we couldn't wait to drive?  They don't care nearly as much, especially in urban and heavily populated suburban areas.  Ride share with Lyft has become a mainstay with them.  If you can't operate anything w/o a cell phone, is it worth doing?  Not to them.

Bullwinkle
16 hours ago, wijager said:

Who made you king of the road?  

Common courtesy dictates take a few seconds to let the faster driver pass! 

kgb
38 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

Do any of you recall when low/high beam control was on the floor for your left foot to operate?  

For emergency situations, if the driver also puts on their emergency flashers as well as flashing brights, that would be helpful.  

The windshield washer pump was down there by the high beam control on my vans, a little forward, too IIRC. Worked fine, once I fixed the squirters.  

Emergency flashers are so often ignored it's like they don't exist.  I was guilty the day my old car sputtered to a stop from an electrical issue and the cop who stopped by asked me to activate them.  Turned out they were inop, it'd been too long since I had checked them.  Should have tried them as soon as my car stopped and I got out to check under the hood.

ccavacini

Here's an irony.  When I was going to school near Chicago, I would take hwy 30 west--single lane--.  If the weather was bad (and it seemed it always was), I would get behind a trucker and feel safe. Although, if he would have driven off the road, I would have followed. Truckers got me through plenty of snow storms.

But now.  It's the truck passing a truck going 68 and he's passing at 70.  

Dave in Maine

I have about 10k miles on the autobahn, back when I was stationed in Germany.  Cruising speed in those days was about 130 kph.  Left turn signal on in the left lane was pretty much reserved for 5- or 6-series Mercedes, 6- and 7-series BMWs, Porsches, the occasional Ferrari and idiots doing 120 mph or more in full leathers on some flavor of racing bike.  The turn signal on meant "this lane is mine", corresponding to the massive ego usually associated with drivers of such vehicles.   I poked along in the right lane in my crappy German-made Mustang II.

Here,  I do a bit of turnpike cruising in my Volvo.  It likes to go 80 but I don't push it.  If I nurse the throttle properly, I get 25 mpg or so at 70.  Averaged 28 mpg on a recent 420 mile run from Portland to Philly.   But, as others have noted, once I get past Boston the idiots proliferate and things get dangerous.  I lived in Jersey for a long time and have those skills in muscle memory, but I hate to pull them out.

One of those things you might see in Europe:

100_1315.JPG