Highway Driving Rant

sharptail grouse

Some of you may remember this, but some years back Montana had no speed limit for a time. If you had a vehicle that seemed road worthy you could drive 100 mph and the patrolman would wave. If it was a piece of junk, you'd get pulled over and the fine (for careless driving or some such)was $10 payable in cash to the officer. Then it was raised to $20. Then the Feds stepped in and threatened to withhold federal highway $$$ if we didn't fall in line with federal guidelines. Now the patrolman waves and you pull over. I never owned anything that was very comfortable to drive over 80 mph so none of it ever made much difference to me.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• kgb

• mccuha

• WI Outdoor Nut

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who made you king of the road?     Common courtesy dictates take a few seconds to let the faster driver pass! 

I hate people who consider themselves the "traffic cop" and drive slow in the left lane . I drive fast and always pull to the right if someone wants to go faster . Let em go !!!

I was thinking about this yesterday as I made a trek back from gulf shores in one day, 1,118 miles in 17 hours straight through.  I will admit on trips like this, I drive fast.  But people simply don'

Posted Images

5 hours ago, sharptail grouse said:

Some of you may remember this, but some years back Montana had no speed limit for a time. If you had a vehicle that seemed road worthy you could drive 100 mph and the patrolman would wave. If it was a piece of junk, you'd get pulled over and the fine (for careless driving or some such)was $10 payable in cash to the officer. Then it was raised to $20. Then the Feds stepped in and threatened to withhold federal highway $$$ if we didn't fall in line with federal guidelines. Now the patrolman waves and you pull over. I never owned anything that was very comfortable to drive over 80 mph so none of it ever made much difference to me.

We had a day time speed limit just not an arbitrary number. Reasonable and prudent, was the limit. With dry roads in light traffic, I normally drove 80-85mph if I had a several hour drive in front of me. I do not remember the night time limit. One of the problems, I think, with our new limits on the interstates is there is not a reduced limit posted for night time driving. It is Russian roulette to drive at night at 80mph. There are just too many big game animals that find their way onto the road.

Much of Texas the posted limit is 85, and people were flying by me while I was at 85 last week

pretty crazy IMO

5 pages ! Holy good grief 😀

This thread has  shed some light on situations I have witnessed while motoring. I typically hang in the slow lane with cruise set about 4 mph above the speed limit and just take the road with the flow. Motorists are continually passing me and disappearing ahead of me.  I get a kick out of how many times I will pass the same vehicle  at a light or gas station after they blew by me at excessive speeds. 

That said yesterday while returning home on the highway two cars blow past me with one glued to the others bumper. I kind of smile to myself and as they start to get further ahead and  I see something on the roof of the front car.  As I stare at the front cars rooftop I  was able to figure out just what it was ....  the front drivers arm coming out of the cars moon-roof with the middle finger fully extended . At that moment I just shook my head 😃

Front alignment shops get a lot of business in states allowing speed limits over 70. Seems that 70 and beyond is when any inbalance in tires, front end etc., show themselves. Shimmy shimmy bang bang.

Natty Bumpo
2 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Florida plates.

+1 

And often associated with a "No Head Visible" vehicle ie. a Geezer gal standing less than five ft tall who can hardly see through the steering wheel.

2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Front alignment shops get a lot of business in states allowing speed limits over 70. Seems that 70 and beyond is when any inbalance in tires, front end etc., show themselves. Shimmy shimmy bang bang.

We took my wife's car to Idaho when we picked up our pups and at 70-75 I could feel a bit of imbalanced tire action through the steering wheel.  She was driving when we saw Speed Limit 80mph signs in Wyoming and the added 5-10mph showed it significantly worse.  Re-balancing was the cure.

In the 1/8th mile my car would run 90-91mph and track straight but the first time I took it to a 1/4 mile track showed the alignment wasn't as good as it seemed.  The car started pulling left and a fixed amount of correction held it in line to the end.  When I got it home the alignment shop corrected it, saying it was off "just a little bit". 

11 hours ago, bobman said:

Much of Texas the posted limit is 85, and people were flying by me while I was at 85 last week

pretty crazy IMO

Two sections in TX that I know of have an 85 mph speed limit; I-10 west of San Antonio and the toll road between Austin and San Antonio.  Were you on those sections or is there another I don't know about?

On the I-10 section, I've set the cruise to 90 on West TX trips and like you, watched in awe as other drivers passed me like I was standing still.  Not many cars are really great at road holding over 120, thankfully never saw an accident.  Both highways are wide open, probably the biggest danger would be someone puttering along at 50 - 55 especially in the left lane.  

3 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Brad, both my rides are under lifetime programs with Firestone - every 5k miles they are aligned, rotated and balanced.  I do this before every extended trip as well based on your point above, better gas mileage and less wear on the tires as well as the suspension.

stephen brown

I'm thinking how miserable the snow birds make driving during the spring and fall migration. You'd thing they have enough sense and money to fly.

On 4/20/2019 at 7:56 AM, grouse28 said:

And a semi deciding to pass another uphill. *#&@!!!

With highway signs expressly stating  "Semi with trailer prohibited left lane"!!!!!!!

There are days I'll just let the cruise control do its thing and wind up making a speed-limit-or-a-little-faster rolling road block for a few miles, 

in the left lane?

The funny thing is even on the highway I never use cruise control. The times I’ve tried to use it it seems to get me worse gas mileage   I prefer to not use it

Bobman, remember when those firestone tires blew out on expeditions around 2000?  That was in Texas.  I believe FS argued that people got into their massive suvs without making basic tire pressure checks and then drove 80+ for hours on hot interstates.