Highway Driving Rant

WI Outdoor Nut
3 minutes ago, ccavacini said:

I believe I have the answer to the left lane problem...this may be somewhat anecdotal, but it seems to me those going slowly in the left lane are old geezers.

I propose we pull the drivers' licenses for anyone 65 or older and.....ummmm, never mind.

I don't think they are all older.  Like I mentioned, I just returned from an 1000+ mile trip last week, and yes, I was one of the fast guys.  I came up on a green newer camero doing about 9 mph over the speed limit.  While I never felt like I was riding his rear, he must have thought I was and did a break check.  I am not one to engage in road rage, so I backed off until I knew there would be an opening on the right of him.  Then brought my speed up, passed on the right and proceeded on my merry way.  I saw him do the same thing to at least two more people until I could no longer see him in my mirror.  He was in his 30's I would guess.  Just a guy who has a fast car, hanging out in the left lane, thinking no one should go faster than him, is my guess what he was thinking. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• kgb

• mccuha

• WI Outdoor Nut

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who made you king of the road?     Common courtesy dictates take a few seconds to let the faster driver pass! 

I hate people who consider themselves the "traffic cop" and drive slow in the left lane . I drive fast and always pull to the right if someone wants to go faster . Let em go !!!

I was thinking about this yesterday as I made a trek back from gulf shores in one day, 1,118 miles in 17 hours straight through.  I will admit on trips like this, I drive fast.  But people simply don'

Posted Images

Greg Hartman
On 4/26/2019 at 4:33 PM, bobman said:

I love motorcycles the acceleration is a drug I crave. I’ve had fast cars but nothing close to the motorcycles I’ve owned.

Agreed.  Nothin' like a crotch rocket bike for thrills.  Sadly, I got too old for that, but I still miss it when I see the young guys out on nice days.

On 4/20/2019 at 7:30 AM, WMassGriff said:

I always drive 10mph over the speed limit so I don't understand their problem.

My practice too. And IMO that speed means you are allowed to be there. But I must admit that, from time to time, if an idiot (often young women in a small car, construction guys in a pickup, or anyone in an expensive German car) decides to tailgate me at that speed I will slow down for awhile before moving over to aggravate him/her.

14 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

Agreed.  Nothin' like a crotch rocket bike for thrills.  Sadly, I got too old for that, but I still miss I when I see the young guys out on nice days.

Ever been on 401 in Canada late at night?  You'll get passed by guys on sport bikes doing 150 mph or whatever their bikes will do.  Not sure how fast that is in that funny Canada talk but fast like a 1000 something??? 

23 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

Agreed.  Nothin' like a crotch rocket bike for thrills.  Sadly, I got too old for that, but I still miss I when I see the young guys out on nice days.

When the V max hit about 5500 rpm you better be holding on, it sinks my eyeballs into the back of my head and tried to pull my arms out of their socket

I had to get rid of it before I killed myself ...nothing like a 170 hp bike

Ive been thinking about getting a dual sport and putting around the north Georgia logging roads in the mountains, more my speed nowadays lol

It's not all gritted teeth and impending road rage. Around here there are enough deer, elk, pronghorns and moose that sooner or later I get to see a fair amount of the jerk drivers on the side of the road with a carcass near by and a deductible to pay. 

bullseyebill

Distracted drivers, it drives me nuts (npi) whenever I’m wondering what the problem is

inevitably someone’s dicking around with their phone. I wish cops were as concerned about 

that as they are about a few miles over the limit.

2 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Thanks, Rick!

Yeah, I still have it.  It's the perfect old man's car.  With the suspension, brake and other mods and the gumball tires, it will REALLY handle, but you don't need to run at triple digits to have fun.  Plus, it sounds good with the cold air intake, headers, pipes, etc.

I am frankly surprised at how OLD and grumpy many here seem to be (regardless of their actual age).  Maybe some were never actually yo9ung?

My grandson, TJ, said to me the other day when talking about crashing his electrically powered bicycle and breaking the second bike helmet in as many weeks: "Paw-Paw, goin' fast just makes me feel GOOD.  I don't know why, it just does!"  My daughter scowled at me while laughing - no doubt blaming me for TJ's genes - probably correctly.

Going fast makes me feel GOOD, too.  I don't drive fast to save time or to get somewhere before someone else.  I drive fast (yes... under safe conditions; in a vehicle built just for this; and without engaging in any anti-social behavior such as whipping in and out of traffic, following too close, etc) because I like it.  I've always been an adrenaline junkie and, even though you'd think that would have disappeared long before reaching 72 years of age, it hasn't.  Heel-and-toeing a quick, open two-seater around a tight course, is great fun for me. I find it thrilling to hang it all out there relying only on one's personal skill to make it through (but note that I never endanger anyone but myself).

Yeah, ditto on fast driving.  I often say I got my drivers license at 16 in Texas, but I learned to drive in Germany.  Driving fast but competently is great fun in a responsive car such as that Miata.   

Greg Hartman
2 minutes ago, quailguy said:

Yeah, ditto on fast driving.  I often say I got my drivers license at 16 in Texas, but I learned to drive in Germany.  Driving fast but competently is great fun in a responsive car such as that Miata.   

Yep.  I drove in der Vaterland for some years as well.

WI Outdoor Nut
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:03 PM, Sage Hen said:

It's not all gritted teeth and impending road rage. Around here there are enough deer, elk, pronghorns and moose that sooner or later I get to see a fair amount of the jerk drivers on the side of the road with a carcass near by and a deductible to pay. 

I agree!  Near my home, there are times right near dusk I am below the speed limit as there are so many deer out and about.  My wife is proof, hitting 3 deer in less than a year.  Still working on her to scan ditches. 

On 4/26/2019 at 5:27 PM, bullseyebill said:

Distracted drivers, it drives me nuts (npi) whenever I’m wondering what the problem is

inevitably someone’s dicking around with their phone. I wish cops were as concerned about 

that as they are about a few miles over the limit.

Read somewhere that operating a cell phone for talking is equal to one hard liquor drink, texting is akin to 2 to 3 drinks.  Distracted driving is an enormous suck on insurance companies who return the favor in terms of rate increases and/or deductible levels to consumers.  

On 4/26/2019 at 6:15 PM, quailguy said:

Agree, driving fast on the highway under the right conditions is fun.  My favorite area in TX is the hill country with all the twisty and hilly two-lane blacktops.  A favorite run is between Fredericksburg to Lost Maples State Park.  We have an '11 G37 that has a ton of power and handles very nicely especially with a set of ultra high performance tires.  It's also fun to operate in manumatic mode with the tranny and let the engine's ya-ya's out.  BTW, really good performance tires make a lot of difference IMHO.  

Driving racing cars on tracks is a surprising sport the 1st time you do it.  A very close friend races as his main sport and owns a number of both open wheel and closed wheel race cars.  I've driven them upon occasion, it is not just a blast, it's really hard.  (I used to believe racing wasn't that hard, I was dead dog wrong.)  These cars have a singular purpose, get as much out of the car with as little functional help as possible.  No power anything, weight avoidance is key.  Steering has no discernible dead center, keeping the nose straight is tough work.  Plus you are literally jammed into a seat with belts everywhere and that seat is hard plastic or hard leather.  

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:15 PM, quailguy said:

Driving in Germany taught me lane discipline, and I wonder just how well Americans followed such discipline in the 1960's and on.  Is the kvetching about left lane banditry a newer phenomenon?  I didn't start driving until the 1980s and as a kid passenger didn't really pay attention to how adults drove except for my father when he got a car with cruise control telling me he was happy setting it below traffic flow (speed limit 55 back then) and loafing in the right hand lane.

A friend of my father drove for UPS and when I got to know him found him to have a highly developed case of Traffic Tourette's, also going so far as to drive what I considered well out of the way to avoid a couple traffic lights.  Thinking on it now, my parents, grandparents and friends of theirs did NOT ride bumpers like I see so often today.

Rogue Hunter

Ya'll haven't seen stupidity driving until your drive in St. Cloud, MN. Worst group is not students from area colleges, it's people 50+.

2 hours ago, Rogue Hunter said:

Ya'll haven't seen stupidity drive until your drive in St. Cloud, MN. Worst group is not students from local colleges, it's people 50+.

Are there a lot of non-native Minnesotans in St. Cloud?  Seems when you get a lot of "migrants" from other states or parts of the country they care less about their new area than those with generational roots there.  It's what I figured made the area around Ft Meade and likely the whole Washington-Bal'mer metro area so full of rude drivers.