REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

Tesla popularity.

Jacksdad

While I think the idea of an electric car makes the most sense in a city where gas engines get worse economy I also feel like the answer in cities is mass transportation-not individual cars.  So I'm not sold on the concept as a cure to any real or perceived earth health issues.

That said a buddy bought the model 3 and took me for a ride.  the acceleration is pretty darned cool.  I think I prefer knobs and buttons to screens but the car has a very neat vibe about it.  the door handles are kinda space agey and overall I liked it more than I thought I would. 

mccuha

back in the dark days a few years ago when gas hit all time highs. There was a guy that worked at a car dealership next to where I work. he was less than 2 miles away and drove his golf cart to work every day. here in SC it's legal to drive them on secondary roads within a 2 mile radius of your home.  You do have to have a special tag but that's no big deal.  Now that's what I'm talking about saving $ on gas expenses and you can get one for under $3000.

garyRI
2 hours ago, jeff88 said:

I can easily foresee an "around town" all electric ride in our future along with a gasoline engine utility vehicle of some sort for long trips and as a 2nd car.  

They seem like an excellant second car option. Driving around a place like Maine hunting & fishing or driving cross country, not so much.

Speaks

Its an interesting evolution in cars. Not to the point where I would buy one yet where I live, but will be interesting to see where it goes in the next few years.

Sage Hen

I haven't seen one in Idaho yet but I'm a little over ten miles from a stop sign any real pavement and an hour from any sort of town that might have a charging station. I would like to check one out.

Curt
5 hours ago, blanked said:

How often do you see a tesla

in Houston maybe 2 or 3 a week at most

Here in north/central Pennsylvania I think I've seen two, total.  My nephew and his wife live in Broomfield, Co., and they've owned two of them.

steveziv

NoVA / DC / Balto - Every time I take to the roads for the day.

Dogwood

Northern Michigan maybe 1 per month.  See Bolts 1-2 times weekly; cool looking little cars.

bobman

One of Tesla’s head engineers is likely going to soon be my son in law, really really smart young man, he loses me pretty quickly when he explains their technology.

I kid him it’s the first external combustion engine. I’ve never seen one up close. He’s out in Nevada.

I like the concept, think it makes sense but I want the opportunity to have a choice and keep normal fuel rigs also.  The market will sort it out.

I like real fast cars and from what I’m told they are.

gunsrus

Buddy has one , I too was underwhelmed . For local city driving and having charging ports near , a decent car . For long trips , very challenging . Meter on car will tell you how much is left in the tank to get to the next charging port . You map out your trip according to charging ports . Here's the problem  , you drive at night , lights on , more power you use . you drive in rain , more power to run the wipers . My bud had issues with ports not being where they said they were . Lost more power than anticipated and almost didn't make the ports . Also , ports were in garages with little light and in not so nice areas . Consider that they always had to be aware of their surroundings because you're driving a $100,000 car and people know you have money . Scary !

Not for me .

blanked
5 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Buddy has one , I too was underwhelmed . For local city driving and having charging ports near , a decent car . For long trips , very challenging . Meter on car will tell you how much is left in the tank to get to the next charging port . You map out your trip according to charging ports . Here's the problem  , you drive at night , lights on , more power you use . you drive in rain , more power to run the wipers . My bud had issues with ports not being where they said they were . Lost more power than anticipated and almost didn't make the ports . Also , ports were in garages with little light and in not so nice areas . Consider that they always had to be aware of their surroundings because you're driving a $100,000 car and people know you have money . Scary !

Not for me .

I read that Tesla can remotely give the car access to extra stored power if needed.  I believe it’s an additional 10%

dogrunner
7 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Not for me .

Sounds like a pain in the a$$, no thanks. 

WI Outdoor Nut
10 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Not for me .

And........

In cold the batteries have a lot less capability.  We had a cold snap this past winter and folks that could normally have no issues with their commute ran short on juice.  One other thing to keep in mind. 

Curt
10 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Not for me .

Good points, another is that when you get to that charging station you'll be there for at least 30 minutes.  It's not like filling up the old gas guzzler in 4-5 minutes.

jeff88
1 hour ago, Curt said:

Good points, another is that when you get to that charging station you'll be there for at least 30 minutes.  It's not like filling up the old gas guzzler in 4-5 minutes.

Starting with Al's, this group of posts are many good reasons why an all electric would never pass muster for me as an only car for what we do today.  This is the opposite of the 16 ga for upland, definitely not the all-around solution. 

Now as a 2nd car for just around town driving, perfect!  We do a lot of short drives in our area.  Personally I'd like to see Mazda do an all electric MX-5 with the hard top retractable roof.  Or the Audi TT with the inclusion of awd.  

But if we lived in a more urban setting an electric may work as an only driver - for overland/hunting/vacations we would rent.  Currently I rent SUV's from Avis when hunting PA, why not do it from home when needed?  It's a lot less than owning a vehicle.  Car sharing is on the rise too.  My son in the DC area uses Lyft via a monthly payment, not individual rides. 

This whole business of how we get around for personal need is changing rapidly.