blanked

Tesla popularity.

rideold
1 hour ago, jeff88 said:

this group of posts are many good reasons why an all electric would never pass muster for me as an only car for what we do today. 

This is why I'm interested in plug-in hybrids.  For 95% of my driving it would be 100% electric but for those times when the range of the electric is too short the gas motor is still there.

chilly460

I'm as die-hard, old school, internal combustion loving as it gets, but I do see the attraction for sure.  My wife has a Prius and it's hard to deny 45mpg around town is nice.  Brakes/transmissions/filter changes....tons of service items will be a thing of the past with the full electrics.  

What I don't hear anyone talking about is how a grid full of electrics will influence pricing on electricity moving forward.  I'm seeing a lot of wind farms in certain locations, but it'll take a lot of them to support the amperage that vehicles would soak up. 

And to answer the question, 2-3 per day here in Richmond, and there's a dealer about 2mi from my house. 

Kansas Bound

I think some of you are stuck in an old way of thinking.  Electric vehicles are a lifestyle change.  Below are arguments for an all electric vehicle. 

1) Tesla Supercharging Stations provide a free charge for some models.  If someone had an Model X, roadtrips are potentially free.  Free charging, Free boarding since you can sleep in an air conditioned climate during the night.  Just think, you can drive all over the USA sight seeing and not spend a dime on fuel or lodging.

2) Maintenance Costs are virtually Zero.  No radiator to flush, No Transmission to Service, No Oil Change

3) No weekly standing at a gas pump in the summer heat or cold winter.  The vehicle charges over night in your garage.  People complain about a 30 minute charge on a roadtrip.  How long would a family of 4 spend at a convenience store for bathrooms, snacks and fuel.  Maybe 15 minutes???  So that extra 15 minutes on a couple roadtrips is nothing compared to the time saved on weekly fillups, waiting an hour at the dealership for an oil change etc.  I would say that a Telsa provides an average person more free time during the year. 

4) Technology updates actually improve the car over time instead of a traditional car getting outdated. 

Just some food for thought

WI Outdoor Nut

One whole piece to the electric car and hybrids, is that these vehicles only pay a small portion compared to conventional fuels in taxes which fund our roads.  I am all for technology changing and improving, but the gubernment needs to adjust to the technology as well.  I would suggest higher plate fees for these types of vehicles. 

Kemo Sabe

Tesla is an extremely popular car here in the San Francisco Bay Area. See lots of them, including the one we bought for my wife.

I'm not a big fan of them, but she really likes it -- and likes it a lot. Kansas Bound's post above is spot on, but there's a lot of other cars I'd rather have for what  one them costs. Our's was north of $100,000.  I mean, they basically are just a modified golf cart. 

We also have the super duper charging station installed in our garage. I'm not into the Tesla hype or program. But, my wife loves it. 

TB Owl

See them regularly in the Phoenix metro area including a couple in the parking lot at work.  

quailguy
16 hours ago, Kemo Sabe said:

Tesla is an extremely popular car here in the San Francisco Bay Area. See lots of them, including the one we bought for my wife.

I'm not a big fan of them, but she really likes it -- and likes it a lot. Kansas Bound's post above is spot on, but there's a lot of other cars I'd rather have for what  one them costs. Our's was north of $100,000.  I mean, they basically are just a modified golf cart. 

We also have the super duper charging station installed in our garage. I'm not into the Tesla hype or program. But, my wife loves it. 

You’ve just hit my nail on the head.  I simply cannot see paying $100,000+ for a glorified golf cart when for the same or less money one can buy a new Maserati , or Corvette, or Alfa Romeo Spyder or a BMW 7xx, etc, etc. 

IMHO we’ve got the so called “early tech adopters” paying way over the odds to be tied to a very limited vehicle. If all one’s drives are within the mileage range of the vehicle, or between charging stations, and that’s all you want, OK.

For a $100,000 that is NOT what I want.   Gimme a fine car and the freedom to go where I want.   

terrym

Seems electric car companies only survive on government subsidies. That could change big time. I’m not “against” them but they aren’t for most people yet. Someday maybe, but not yet. I see quite a few on the roads up here now. 

blanked

I dont see it as free maintenance and battery charges.  I see it your paying for the battery charges and maintenance when you buy the vehicle spending 2 to 3 times more for the car.  

Curt

Personally I don't think what's available in electric vehicles is the answer to replacing fossil fuel driven vehicles.  They're not there yet.  If they ever get to the point that the car charges itself as you go down the road, then you'd have something.  Solar panel technology is a ways from that capability at this point.  The other issue I see is what do we do with tens of millions of defunct lithium battery banks?  What we really need is something like that "Mr. Fusion' engine technology that Doc Brown had in his revised 'Back to the future" car in the movie of the same name.

UplandHntr
9 minutes ago, blanked said:

I dont see it as free maintenance and battery charges.  I see it your paying for the battery charges and maintenance when you buy the vehicle spending 2 to 3 times more for the car.  

youre not being realistic - Tesla 3 starts at about $35k. What new vehicle are buying for $15k?

UplandHntr

My neighbor has a Leaf. He was given a free charging station at home and is provided free charging at work. Its been a windfall for him as a dedicated commuter car.

jeff88
19 hours ago, Kemo Sabe said:

I'm not a big fan of them, but she really likes it -- and likes it a lot.

But, my wife loves it. 

Shortened your post to the salient points.  That's all I had to read.  😉

jeff88
3 hours ago, quailguy said:

You’ve just hit my nail on the head.  I simply cannot see paying $100,000+ for a glorified golf cart when for the same or less money one can buy a new Maserati , or Corvette, or Alfa Romeo Spyder or a BMW 7xx, etc, etc. 

IMHO we’ve got the so called “early tech adopters” paying way over the odds to be tied to a very limited vehicle. If all one’s drives are within the mileage range of the vehicle, or between charging stations, and that’s all you want, OK.

For a $100,000 that is NOT what I want.   Gimme a fine car and the freedom to go where I want.   

If paying $100k for new ride is in the cards for me, I'm going out with a bang with a high-end ride as your write above.  Now that would be a fun exercise!  Would 1st test drive a Giulia Quadrifoglio.  Agree with your early adopters comment too, I think back to how much I paid for our 1st VCR/PC/Hi Res TV - the 2nd and 3rd versions of those were a lot less and substantially better products.  I see that happening with electric cars.  This topic spilled over to lunch yesterday with a really good work friend and fellow car nut.  We both agreed that in the next 5 years, driving, vehicles, parking, vehicle acquisition -- this will be radically changed.  Funny thing is, internal combustion engines today are incredibly better built combing power and efficiency that even 10 years ago we would be surprised.  4 cyl engines that greatly outperform older 6's, 6's that kick v8's @$$es.  Right as gasoline power achieves near perfection it enters the downward curve.    

RuffChaser

Suburbs of Minneapolis/St Paul. South of Minneapolis maybe 20 minutes. I have a long commute, 35.1 miles one way, and I see several a day.