Tesla popularity.

1 hour ago, jeff88 said:

If paying $100k for new ride is in the cards for me, I'm going out with a bang with a high-end ride as your write above.  Now that would be a fun exercise!  Would 1st test drive a Giulia Quadrifoglio.  Agree with your early adopters comment too, I think back to how much I paid for our 1st VCR/PC/Hi Res TV - the 2nd and 3rd versions of those were a lot less and substantially better products.  I see that happening with electric cars.  This topic spilled over to lunch yesterday with a really good work friend and fellow car nut.  We both agreed that in the next 5 years, driving, vehicles, parking, vehicle acquisition -- this will be radically changed.  Funny thing is, internal combustion engines today are incredibly better built combing power and efficiency that even 10 years ago we would be surprised.  4 cyl engines that greatly outperform older 6's, 6's that kick v8's @$$es.  Right as gasoline power achieves near perfection it enters the downward curve.    

https://www.alfaromeousa.com/

Yes, indeed !!!

Way back in my youth, when my Uncle Sugar sent me someplace one could easily buy used Alfa Romeos and the 1st thing I did was buy a 2600 Spyder.  That was back before US currency was so depreciated by the politicians one could actually buy good stuff overseas. (The last refuge of the incompetent prince is to depreciate the currency—me) That Alfa was one helluva car.  The speedometer topped out at 240 kph and I used to run at 180, pushing her up to 220 upon occasion. Although I rarely went on board US bases I did on one occasion and had 2 MP cars follow me all over the base. That Alfa looked like it was going 100 mph just standing still.

The car and I car went through some of the tallest mountains of Europe, top down, with me just loving life. And I only stopped ever so often at the local gasthaus or trattoria for a beverage.   I remain amazed at my moderation.     

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blanked

• quailguy

• jeff88

• Curt

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do you have electricity there for charging?  Could be a reason you're not seeing any.

One whole piece to the electric car and hybrids, is that these vehicles only pay a small portion compared to conventional fuels in taxes which fund our roads.  I am all for technology changing and imp

You’ve just hit my nail on the head.  I simply cannot see paying $100,000+ for a glorified golf cart when for the same or less money one can buy a new Maserati , or Corvette, or Alfa Romeo Spyder or a

Posted Images

7 hours ago, UplandHntr said:

youre not being realistic - Tesla 3 starts at about $35k. What new vehicle are buying for $15k?

New nissan altima and new toyota corolla are $15,500. 

Last i heard tesla dropped the model 3

1 hour ago, blanked said:

Last i heard tesla dropped the model 3

It is still available for order on their web page.  Price isn't as low as they make it out to be though.  Their published price is minus incentives and gas savings!  Can't say I like that kind of marketing.

Jazz4Brazo

A much overlooked issue here is the overall carbon footprint of electric vehicles...CO2 emissions over their lifetime are reduced over gas engines but electric CO2 emissions are heavily front ended loaded during manufacturing phase...where does the electricity to charge come from (renewable, fossil, nuclear) and what environmental issues do they come with? How are toxic batteries disposed of...are we just kicking the can down the road? How are rare earth and other needed metals mined (environmental issues and labour issues in under-developed nations)?

Given Europe appears to be all in with bans on petrol car sales by 2030...guess we will have to figure this out but we might be trading global warming for toxic environments...either way this planet is running out of time but just not in our lifetime (now where is that tin foil hat icon when you need it 🤔).

J4B

P.S. Tesla's have wicked cool acceleration factor!!

UplandHntr

If europe wont be using oil by 2030 then gas here should be $15 barrel!!!  Ill drive my Suburban using all the cheap gas I can find!!

Jazz4Brazo

Future plans for an F150 is looking better everyday if only my 13 yr old Tacoma would die 🤪😁 ...just call me frugal 😄

WI Outdoor Nut
On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:06 PM, Kemo Sabe said:

We also have the super duper charging station installed in our garage. I'm not into the Tesla hype or program. But, my wife loves it. 

What type of amperage does the charger need?  How much have you seen your electric bill go out as well?

topdog1961

I see them occasionally here in NW Ohio/NE Indiana, but I’ve never seen a charging station.  They must do it at home. But many businesses have a horse and buggy parking area, prolly got some oats for refueling. 

• 1 month later...

I finally saw a couple Teslas. One tooling along on the Mass Pike and another parallel parking in Hoboken NJ.

• 1 month later...

https://jalopnik.com/even-jay-leno-thinks-gasoline-cars-days-are-numbered-1837031875

I know a 30 year old that just got a Tesla and loves it. He loves driving it and everything about it. But his needs are in town and he’s not bird hunting out west. 

I had heard that China and other countries were banning Internal combustion engines -ice  and forcing their markets to electric vehicles. 

Per the attached link to Jay Leno’s opinion I think that they will continue to evolve and replace the ice and we will see the F150E one day sooner than we think. It’s just progress whether we like it or not. However we still will have the old ones to mess with just like shooting 1867 Damascus barreled hammer guns and fishing with split cane bamboo rods when it would be the norm to shoot a new Benelli semi auto with synthetic stock or a graphite fly rod.  

As long as progress is driven by technology and not political agendas I don’t see a problem with electric vehicles

when they make economic sense, and someday they will, I’d buy one

So I googled "How long does it take to charge a Tessa?"  I found this: https://www.energysage.com/electric-vehicles/charging-your-ev/charging-a-tesla/

It gives the cost to charge in multiple geographical areas and the time it takes to fully charge the batteries.  It's not free to charge but if you were doing short commutes and could charge every night I think it would be fine.  I don't care for the thought of sitting at a charging station for an hour on a cross county trip though.

I saw a Tesla Model 3 at the Minn. State Fair yesterday. There’s no dash dials just a computer screen and minimal trunk space front and back. So there’s no room for a kennel.  So forget it. I told my brother in-law who’s interested in them that they’re no good until they bring out an SUV model. He said they did in Model X. I looked it up and saw a fancy Prius with stupid gull wing doors. That would work well in a sand or snow storm. Nope that’s not for me. I asked the kid in town here who is excited about his about winter driving and he was thinking about snow tires for it. I question the ground clearance more than the traction. Oh well. 

C3FAC08C-7C4A-4F31-93E9-CFF21DFC7FF6.jpeg

BA4B6318-5E6D-4ED8-B33C-17CA70E9BFC8.jpeg