REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RGSIII

Garmin TT10 and TT15 repair

RGSIII

I have 3 Garmin TT10's and 1 TT15 electronic collars.  All four seem to have a case of dry rot that has exposed the GPS antenna cable and the material around it.  No sign of mice.  The GPS antenna repair requires soldering a replacement onto the motherboard---not an option for me to attempt.  

Which ecollar repair places would be good for this?  I understand Garmin does not repair TT10's anymore.

IMG_1058.jpeg

IMG_1059.jpeg

mccuha

Collar clinic.    Also could try locally at a battery bulbs plus store

CzechSM

Have you personally reached out to Garmin? I recently had a T-5 collar break wires on the collar and  Garmin “repaired” it. The repair was actually an exchange for a fee. ( The collar was out of warranty )

RGSIII

It is on my agenda for the AM.  Just found out about this yesterday and I am trying to evaluate all my options.   I thought that with 4 collars, one would always work!

RGSIII

From what I have gathered:

1)No Garmin support for the T10.  They will sell you a refurbished T15 with a 90 day warranty for $250.

2)Garmin will repair(replaced with refurb) the T15 for $110.

3)some companies will repair T10's, with parts from unknown sources for around $125.

4)new T15 $299.

Ridge Runner

Anybody else see an issue here?    No support for a product?  Maybe I am just getting old and am living in yesteryear.  But, this to me is ridiculous.  Was about to pull the trigger on getting a Garmin Alpha with 3 collars.  Not anymore.  Can't afford to be held hostage on my SS Entitlement check by corporations (robbers) such as this who hold no regard for their clients, just their profits.

RR  

CzechSM
6 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Anybody else see an issue here?    No support for a product?  Maybe I am just getting old and am living in yesteryear.  But, this to me is ridiculous.  Was about to pull the trigger on getting a Garmin Alpha with 3 collars.  Not anymore.  Can't afford to be held hostage on my SS Entitlement check by corporations (robbers) such as this who hold no regard for their clients, just their profits.

RR  

Perhaps it is a matter of perspective but I feel when I buy any electronics that they all possibly have a relatively short life span. The term "short life span" is a subjective term. Very few electronic items of any kind have a much for product support these days.

Back in the day when Tri Tronics was still Tri-Tronics and not owned by Garmin I had an old set up Upland Special Collars that no longer held a charge and I believe the beepers no longer worked. I'm guessing they were in excess of 6 years old at the time. I sent them in to Tri-Tronics and for a fee of around $150 they said they would repair and replace the batteries.  In about 10 days time after I sent them in I received what appeared to me two new collars, transmitter, beepers, etc. which worked perfectly until switched to the  Tri-tronics Pro 550 which had better features for my training style. I had no complaints.

Fast forward to this spring when I was running on spring grouse and I had a T-5 Garmin collar come in broke in about the same place as RGSIII from what I assume was a branch getting in there and busting it as there was no other deterioration. The collar was my first T-5 bought maybe 5  years ago and was out of warranty. I emailed Garmin and was promptly assisted via an email exchange. The service that was offered me was either I could send the collar in and for $99 they would send a replacement collar back out. I assume a refurbished one. Or I could pay them $200 and they would send me out a collar immediately and when they received my broken one they would reimburse my card $101. I chose the second option since I was still running the grouse woods and I had a replacement collar in about 5 days. I had no complaints. Refurbished is not an issue with me as I only use it as a tool anyway.

My perspective is that with my Garmin T-5 collar I had never had a failure up to the point of the collar breaking. I have never lost a signal and the collars take a beating day after day. Batteries have a life span as do plastic components so I feel I got my money's worth and I would buy another when the time comes.

The Garmin gives me a peace of mind when I run the dogs. Both setters push the bell range, wearing two hearing aids and struggling with directional hearing the Garmin is almost a must for an old man like me no matter what range the dogs are at. The Garmin broken down to cost per hour is cheap insurance.

GuyO

I had the same positive experience with Garmin’s replace service. My Alpha 100 first year unit for some reason would no longer accept the charging plug in the port. For $110 the sent me a like new refurbed unit after they received my old unit. I use my Alpha everyday because Rock doesn’t go out the door on my property without it on. I’d say that’s pretty good customer service on an original unit that’s what, 7 years old?

Craig Doherty
8 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

RR  

I think you don't understand the full picture here.  The product that is no longer supported is an older model.  Consider taking your older car with 100,000 miles on it back to the dealer and expecting them to repair it.  Garmin has always been very good about replacing failed collars and handhelds under the one year warranty for free and older units for a reasonable fee.  I just sent back a well used TT-15 mini that was losing communication with the Alpha that was a few yeas old with lots of miles on it and they are replacing it for $89.00 which is a lot better then the $299.99 msrp.  

I have sent back numerous collars and handhelds for various issues over the years since the first Astro 220s and DC-10s and the replacements have always been new units.  My assumption is that there is very little repairable inside these units and it's cheaper for Garmin (and us) to replace not repair.

If you have to depend on electronic devices that take a lot of abuse it's probably a good idea to have a certain amount of redundancy in your systems.  I would never head out in the woods without at least one spare collar in my bag.

IMG_2730.thumb.JPG.a2ad946520262f7530a97e9589a79213.JPG 

john mcg

Nice charging station.

LOL

Craig Doherty
4 hours ago, john mcg said:

Nice charging station.

LOL

When you have as much stuff as I do (my Garmin Pro 550 and three collars use the same chargers) it's the only thing that makes sense.

cajunl

I've had a bunch of collars that has happened to. Definitely the weak spot in them.  Garmin support has been nothing but great everytime I've dealt with them. I would give them a call and see what they can do. Good luck.

RGSIII

For Garmin to repair/replace my four units would be $860.  To replace three TT10's with refurbished TT15's with 90 day warranty $750 (or  $900 for three new TT15's with year warranty).  $110 for the refurbished TT15 with same 90 day Warranty.  

I honestly doubt the refurbished ones, with shipping and  hassle are worth doing anything about.  The TT15 yes.

I realize the my TT10's are older units, the newest is probably about 6-7 years old.  My TT15 is 4 years old.  Apparently this is a known problem, at least with repair people other than Garmin.   I assume some current production TT15's will  have the same problem as my older TT15 and eventually require a $250 replacement.   Not stocking a relatively inexpensive repair part, for a known problem is not acceptable. 

Having owned dozens of tritronic and Garmin products and have never problems, this is a let down.   BTW, I can get my 1994 Land Cruiser with 250K miles worked on at my local Toyota dealer ship and get parts. LOL

Ridge Runner

RGSIII

Same here.  My brother & I both own Toyotas, mine with over 200,000 and his with approaching 420,000 miles.  Similar age.  And still running fine.  Mine has never needed a repair other than normal maintenance but my brother's has seen some repair in the last 6 months.  AND Toyota still services them!  And, actually at a very reasonable price, at least by today's standards.  Definitely no where near 90% of purchase price.

We have had the same experience with Honda cars and the company.  

And, my antique Innotek beeper/shocker system and one of the first Sport Dog shocker/beeper units sold when they took over Innotek, are still functioning well.  Only had one issue and it was out of warranty by about 5 months, BUT Sport Dog Replaced the Transmitter and Collar free of charge with a newer model.  All I had to do was to buy the additional second collar for the new unit as they were not compatible with the old ones.  And, it was done all over the phone.  No waiting to send and them to receive and waste time during the short season.  Only reason I ever switched to Garmin was for the GPS over the beeper and Sportdog wasn't up to speed at the time.  Well, been dumping money down Garmin's hole ever since trying to keep something running.  Re backup, yes have 2 dogs.  Have 3 collars, and 2 transmitters to try to keep one system available in the field.  Oh, also have 2 Garmin watches for the same reason.  They are supposed to hook up to the Garmin Dog system.  And, when they work, it is very nice.  But, Both have been returned to Garmin and paid the ransom for replacements.   One isn't even a year old and the other is less than 2.   Still have my old Timex that is over 40 years old and still works well.  I did get a new crystal for it a couple years ago.  They Still had the part!  

So, in my case, time for a change.  I choose to go back to what has worked for me.  And if they have changed, as did Garmin, I will try something else.  It is when we get complacent and resist change that these companies are able to take advantage of us.

So, I am sure others can tell horror stories the various competitors.  Well, been at this for a long time.  And, my experience with Garmin Dog & related products has been the worst.  I can do without if it comes to that.  Never needed them for the first 25 years I ran dogs.  Dad never had one as he never heard of such a thing.  He still had good wild bird dogs that hunted with you and for you, so hopefully the genetics have not been ruined that much in that period of time.