Scar

Hunting Quotes

kgb

Sporting Classics always puts quotes in their back page and I kept this one for the sketch at the bottom. Good Hill quote on the page as well.  

IMG_20190512_171630_edit.jpg

IMG_20190512_171801_edit.jpg

Scar

"The world is a great book of which those who never leave home have read but one page."

--Richard Burton

See above.  What a wonderful unintended gift.  Thank you.

Treerooster

I like this one. It about turkey hunting but you could substitute other kinds of hunting, at least the dedicated/serious type of hunters.

"Turkey hunters are ornery because no one understands them, no one except other turkey hunters, who know they're just as crazy as they are and keep the hell away from them.  No one appreciates that turkey hunters aren't hunters but pilgrims, serious men devoted to an honorable quest, the pursuit of the world's most cantankerous bird:  the wild turkey, that blue-headed, evil-eyed, exasperating, beautiful son of a bitch.  Wild blood, every bit as weary and suspicious as the wolf and as tempermental as the grizzly bear.  Wild blood, a wildness that reminds a man of his own long-suppressed wildness, his frayed link to the natural world.  Longing, that's what turkey hunting is about, a longing for that disconnected past.  The turkey hunter seeks the company not just of turkeys but of wildness.  Pulling the trigger has nothing to do with it unless a man's got an empty stomach.  Turkey hunting is first of all a drama,, life lived completely and totally in the present, with no memory of the past and no worry of the future.  On entering the woods, the turkey hunter becomes different, something else, becomes, like the bird he's after, not thought but feelings, sensations undiluted instinct.  Come life's end, the turkey hunter still doesn't understand turkeys, but has lived a handful of memorable moments in their world.
     Stay clear of turkeys, boy, and lead a happy, normal life.  Sleep nights.  Have a regular family life.  Enjoy a rational future."…by Harry Middleton/”The Earth Is Enough”

gundogpa

"One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six.....Seven. It's bigger than yours!"

My daughter running up to her deer counting points and explaining she was the families deer champion for the year.

OHhamster

The first couple of years that I started hunting every weekend, my shooting was horrendous. I didn't get my first woodcock until year 3 I believe. One of the guys that got me back into hunting would joke that I'd be better off with a pocket of rocks instead of the gun. After a while, the hunts would start off with "you got your rocks"

ARKBRDHUNTER

After hunting with a man that always bragged on how great his dog was for the first time my father said "That dog is not worth the powder it would take to kill it" when he and I were back in the truck. 

One of my father's bosses had bought a big pointer and paid handsomely for it. He asked my dad to hunt it for a couple of weeks as he was not going to be able to go. The dogs name was Buster and after he ran up the first three coveys my dad said " At least they named him right"

stwilgefortis

A variation of Wayne (you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take)Gretzky – “you can’t shoot them if you’re not out there”

grouse28

Similar lines. An old PA Dutchman said to me in PA German. Translation was “if you don’t shoot, you miss also”.

Can’t remember the german phrase for it.

Rick Hall
9 hours ago, stwilgefortis said:

A variation of Wayne (you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take)Gretzky – “you can’t shoot them if you’re not out there”

8 hours ago, grouse28 said:

Similar lines. An old PA Dutchman said to me in PA German. Translation was “if you don’t shoot, you miss also”.

A shouldn't-be-guide at our camp paraphrases ("Every shot you don't take is a miss.") that Gretzky line to justify his "try those" approach to shot calling, and it chaps my arse just to read it. 

mccuha

Rabbit hunters( at least around here) have colorful language.  One thing that sticks in my mind that a guy said to the dogs.  As a beagle jumped a rabbit. He’d yell at the rest of the pack. “ help that man” 

Treerooster

I've posted this before...

You don't flush all the grouse out there

You don't hear all the grouse you flush

You don't see all the grouse you hear

You don't shoot at all the grouse you see

You don't hit all the grouse you shoot at

....Its why we count flushes and not birds in the bag.

RuffChaser

We have a saying - You never know until you pull the trigger.

quailguy
17 hours ago, grouse28 said:

The Bavarian version is: “Ver had nie vermisst hat nie gejagdt”. or “he has not missed has never hunted”.  

Perhaps “Nichts schiessen ist auch ein fehler.”   

grouse28
48 minutes ago, quailguy said:

The Bavarian version is: “Ver had nie vermisst hat nie gejagdt”. or “he has not missed has never hunted”.  

Perhaps “Nichts schiessen ist auch ein fehler.”   

That’s it, thanks.🦊

Big Al

Trout are almost as stunning as the streams they live in.