REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Scar

Hunting Quotes

Rick Hall

"Hunters cannot have their own way, they must fall in with the wind, and the colours and smells of the landscape..." - Out of Africa,  Karen Blixen, aka: Isak Dinesen

Liked that one so well it was my sig line on these boards for some years.

ARKBRDHUNTER

'Anybody's dog that will hunt with it' 

My father talking about a few bird dogs and more than a few women. 

ARKBRDHUNTER

In high school myself and two friends were duck hunting s slough along the Arkansas river. A group of ducks came in and myself and one friend both killed ducks, as the remainder of them flew off way out of range the other friend finally shot. We turned and just looked at him and he said ' I just like to shoot'. 

Tom Avent

My ALL time favorite is still "whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about puppies".

One of my hunting buddies had a good one from an old Virginia grouse hunter:

"If it acts like a squirrel, shoot it like a squirrel

If it acts like a rabbit, shoot it like a rabbit, 

Cause, if it acts like a grouse, you will probably miss."

walt lister

In my favorite quail hunting story Steve Bodio writes about a hunt in New Mexico. After an out of breath chase of a covey up a steep hill only to have them flush and fly back down to the bottom Steve writes---------------------

"Floyd, who at 65 is stronger, calmer and more cheerful than I'll ever be, turns to me and grins and says, so help me God, "it doesn't get any better than this!"

And despite the cliché, it doesn't, not in bird hunting anyway. This is hunting, wild hunting, true hunting however small the quarry; the country is in many ways as wild a place as you can find today and the birds are it's bounty and grace."

Story titled  "Western Quail in Their Querencia" From Game&Gun magazine, vol 1, #2, Oct 1992. 

T-Bone

With Mother's Day almost upon us, my wife and I still chuckle about a bank-side Mother's Day trout fishing trip we took at a local Spokane area lake some years ago. As we walked past a young mother with kids unhooking a trout...

"If this keeps up, I'll have caught my limit before I've had my first beer.."

MOM!!!😀

OldSarge

Use enough gun. 

rudyc

While bow hunting javelina in Texas one of the fellas came back to camp late and asked for some help tracking one he had shot.

When asked where he thought he hit it he said.

"in front of the rear shoulder"

SODAKer

My father:

"Son it's not about killing something, its about the sunrise, the sunset and everything else in between that you would not have experienced had you kept your ass in bed this morning."

atticus

I've been preoccupied (again) lately.  

“I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary, and the grim.”

– Theodore Roosevelt

“I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy.”

All I wanted to do was to get back to Africa. We had not left it, yet, but when I would wake in the night I would lie, listening, homesick for it already. 

– Ernest Hemingway

GSPpurist

"Always follow your dog."

Bob St. Pierre

Rick Hall
16 hours ago, rudyc said:

When asked where he thought he hit it he said.

"in front of the rear shoulder"

Fellow who guided with us in the "way back when..." was locally famous for similar "EJisms".   One of which was, "Here comes three, two by themselves and one together."  And when asked where the Gulf of Mexico was from there by an out-of-state guest: "Over there."

But my favorite EJism was related by a guest who noted that most of the guides used dogs and asked why he didn't: "Don't have a dog."

fourtrax57

ColdIron out grouse hunting: "OH SHT"

Same for myself multiple times.

Ontdon

After watching my South Dakota friend shoot 4 times and drop a rapidly departing rooster, that I knew was too far, I stood agape.

He turned, smiled and said "Birds don't die if there's no lead in the air!"

Dick Sellers

"Let the dog be a dog"  Ben O. Williams