Hunting Quotes

"If he is roaming the Elysian fields my fondest wish for him is that every alder run contains its quota of woodcock, and each sun-flecked sidehill its covey of grouse."

Burton Spiller writing about a fondly remembered pointer in Drummer in the Woods.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick Hall

• Scar

• ARKBRDHUNTER

• grouse28

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many, many years ago at an uncomfortable college-age dinner party with a blind date, whose roommate indignantly demanded "how can you shoot such a beautiful duck?"   Yours truly, with a brie

Best piece of bird dog (or, for that matter, "outdoors") writing I can recall comes from Charles Waterman:    

My late Father's reply to a very urban, co-worker asking him after his two week duck hunt...   "Did you catch anything?"   "I won't know for two or three more days."

Posted Images

Jacksdad
17 minutes ago, Scar said:

"If he is roaming the Elysian fields my fondest wish for him is that every alder run contains its quota of woodcock, and each sun-flecked sidehill its covey of grouse."

Burton Spiller writing about a fondly remembered pointer in Drummer in the Woods.

Brought me near tears.  Beautiful words.  

watermen

I have done two stupid things for sure in my life.....the first was miss that rooster,  The second was chase him into this sh**.  My father circa 1980 after we chased a very long tailed bird and our lab into a wet tamarack and canary grass  jungle.

Bluegill68

My hunting mentor was fond of saying " there's always one left for me" he said it in regards to  deer hunting after the PA rifle opener. Many folks would spurt out the fact that the opening Monday's harvest constituted the majority for the season, Dave would press on and more times than not tag a buck later in the season. 

I have adopted it for all species as I am primarily a public land hunter.  Just last January I called an acquaintance in western KS and told him I planned on hitting some WIHA tracts, I was told not to waste my time as they had been pounded.  Had a big grin on my face for 3 days in a row when I sent him tailgate shots, not limits but enough.  

Chief Paduke

A hunting buddy after missing an easy shot. “Boys you just witnessed a miracle. There flies a dead duck.”

ccavacini
On 5/7/2019 at 11:41 AM, T-Bone said:

My late Father's reply to a very urban, co-worker asking him after his two week duck hunt...

"Did you catch anything?"

"I won't know for two or three more days."

My neighbor's question to me....I regret that I didn't have that witty reply.

T-Bone

Another story with from one of my late Father's old hunting adventures -

In a Northern Minnesota bar after fighting the brush for ruffed grouse, he is near enough to over hear the conversation of two other hunters:

"How'd you do on grouse?"

"I limited."

"WOW...Those things are hard to hit! How far do you lead them?'

"Depends on how fast they're walking..."

Canuck

Two silly outdoor stories...

My father and I had just pulled into the dock after a successful day of fishing. There was a kid, about maybe eight or nine years old, sitting on the dock.

We got out of the boat and the first words out of the kid's mouth were "My dad is a Judge". 

My father didn't miss a beat and said "A judge of what"?

The kid didn't answer.

My brother and I pulled into the dock after a morning of fly fishing for trout. We pulled the canoe out of the water and grabbed our rods, fly boxes and the like and prepared to walk up  to our truck in the parking lot. Just then a fancy Land Rover pulls up and an Englishman, you could tell by what seemed like a very upper crust accent gets out and calls over to us "I say" he says "can you go spinning off the jetty"?

"Sure" my brother says as he hands me his rod and flybox. Next thing you know he goes spinning down the jetty and off the end of the dock, I mean jetty, and the water is deep. He disappears under water with just his hat floating on the surface. The Englishman looks at me in amazement and I just cracked up laughing. My brother stayed down for a while then walks out of the water, grabs his stuff from and sloshes up to the truck. 

WPG Gizmo

I have 2 for you

First for us Deer hunters "If it is brown it is down you cant eat antlers"

and for us Bird hunters "When there is lead in the air there is hope in the heart"

Windrider

There are bold duck hunters and there are old duck hunters.  There are no bold old duck hunters.

- Unknown

The red gods are calling and I must go.

- Burton Spiller

Upon accidentally tripling on pintails with two shots in a two pintail year “the master”  turns to his pot shot flock shooting partner and says:

”So I see you finally hit a bird in the air”

Pot shot flock shooter replies.

”As usual, I didn’t see anything fall I was aiming for.”

The master responds sarcastically 

”Well, there three pintails down and it’s a two pintail year. Let’s not quibble about your mastery of the scattergun arts.”

- unattributable 

Auto-5

My long time hunting buddy and I use an quote from a  John Wayne  western. Wayne and Jack Elam were in a gun fight with Indians who were quite a way off . Elam was blasting away with his shotgun and John Wayne chastised him for shooting at such long range with a scatter gun. Elam replied “ You don’t mind if I shoot do you?  it makes me feel better”.  So when one of us wiffs a shot or on the occasion we shoot the same bird we will usually say  “You don’t mind if I shoot do you it makes me feel better.”

fishvik

A wildlife professor of mine in college, " Never trust a wildlife or fisheries biologist that doesn't hunt and fish."  When asked by a biologist that I worked that was opposed to hunting and fishing, "How can you be a biologist when you hunt and fish", I replied, " I want to be a participant in the ecosystem, not just an observer".

dgfavor

"I just read a book on how to get control of my time and therefore of my life. My time has always had a tendency to slip away from me and do as it pleases. My life follows it, like a puppy after an untrained bird dog. Come night, my life shows up, usually covered with mud and full of stickers, exhausted but grinning happily. My time never returns."

Patrick McManus

insanelupus

"My feeling is this, give him plenty of time, plenty of birds, and a little direction, and he'll hunt his heart out for me. That's all I ask."

Mike Connally

The all time best quote on UJ

So I threw lead and cussed, and clawed my way up another mountain

Cooter Brown.