Hunting Quotes

airmedic1
On 5/7/2020 at 2:13 PM, Chief Paduke said:

A hunting buddy after missing an easy shot. “Boys you just witnessed a miracle. There flies a dead duck.”

My buddy after he fired five shots at a rooster that got up at his feet.  “That is the first cast iron pheasant I have ever seen”

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rick Hall

• Scar

• ARKBRDHUNTER

• grouse28

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many, many years ago at an uncomfortable college-age dinner party with a blind date, whose roommate indignantly demanded "how can you shoot such a beautiful duck?"   Yours truly, with a brie

Best piece of bird dog (or, for that matter, "outdoors") writing I can recall comes from Charles Waterman:    

My late Father's reply to a very urban, co-worker asking him after his two week duck hunt...   "Did you catch anything?"   "I won't know for two or three more days."

Posted Images

On my first hunt carrying a shotgun, probably not cracking double digits in age  I asked my Uncle what would happen if I accidentally shot his dog instead of a bird.  He locked eyes with me under that furrowed brow of his and said in a bit of a growl, "The sun would never set again on your hound shooting ass."  Then he laughed in that pitch he reserved for when he had really tickled himself.  I miss that laugh.

My wife is fond of asking me, "How many birds did you get?" as her first question when I return from an extended hunting trip.  In the early 2000's when coming back from the Dakota's a lot of times my favorite reply was, "All of them!".

Robert Ruark may be my all time favorite writer.  "The Old man and the Boy " and "Old Man's boy grow Older" have always spoke to me and made me feel like someone watched me in secret and wrote my experiences 30 years before I was old enough to have them.  Ruark was talking about quail when he said, "It takes a Gentleman to approach another Gentleman".  I have never hunted wild quail in earnest, but the entirety of the chapter translated to woodcock in my experience.  Woodcock are gentleman.  Often times they will sit tight for even a bumbling fool of a dog.  They might only hop up and fly 40 yards when pushed during the flights.  If you want to be a sportsman and hunt woodcock you have to approach them as another gentleman.  You have to wait until they have been worked right.  You have to check the gun and tip your hat to the slow flyers as they make their way south.  If you miss them clean you have to call the dog back and head in another direction.  "It takes a Gentleman to approach another Gentleman".  

A quote from my father, circa 1976. Arriving the day before Thanksgiving from college for Thanksgiving break, ...a perfect day for a deer hunt, fairly cold with a nice light dusting of snow. I went out deer hunting in the afternoon with a good friend and shot a large whitetail buck. I hung it in my dad's shop and he and I commenced to skin it out. My younger brother arrived home from HS basketball practice and was complaining about how lucky I was. He'd been out a number of times and hadn't seen anything, I come home and the first day out bag a nice one! Anyway, after complaining a bit, my dad got a wry smile and told him "with your luck, you could fall into a barrel of tits and come up sucking your thumb." I cracked up and that shut my brother up.

Another one from a friend's father while elk hunting. A relative of theirs was hunting elk with us and had to relieve himself, but left his rifle propped against a tree, out of reach. Some elk streamed by him fairly close, while in the act and he couldn't get to his rifle without spooking the elk. When back at the rig the story came out and my friend's father commented on the lack of forethought by his relative, "typical N ID logger, a size 48 chest and size two head!" 

Ben Hong

Ever since I took him duck hunting for the very first time my young brother-in-law whom I raised like a son made the decision that he liked ducking far more than woodcock shooting, So it was a special treat for him and his best buddy when I took them out on a school holiday for a duck hunt.  After getting settled in we watched the sunrise as the first flock of ringneck ducks whooshed over our decoys, My b-i-l got up and fired 2 shots ...and 6 ducks, a daily limit, fell. His immortal words still resonate with every duck hunt: "Wellll...F*ck!"

Rick Hall
4 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

His immortal words still resonate with every duck hunt: "Wellll...F*ck!"

So that's where that line came from.  Have heard it quoted many times.

charlo slim

Crusty old duck-hunting mentor :

You gotta shoot 'em where the corn goes in, not where it comes out!

• 2 weeks later...
Windrider

Ran across this one this morning.  I know how this feels!

After a miss.

I could have hit him with a rock, but I didn’t have one.  I only had my gun.

- Burton Spiller

Rogue Hunter

Famous quotes?

"*&^%$#....$%^#^$".....%&$#@...."Damn gun".

Tony Moore

No man is so low that he cant find a woman, or a dog to love him.

“Neither can I, by logical deduction, prove a thicket without the potential roar of a quail covey is only a thorny place.  Yet every outdoorsman knows that is true.  That wildlife is merely something to shoot at or to look at is the grossest of fallacies.  It often represents the difference between rich country and mere land.”  Aldo Leopold, Round River p. 32.

paul frey

Justin Wilson ( Louisiana Cajun Chef) told a story ( he always had good ones) about a duck hunt. Ducks were coming into the decoys, he stood up to shoot, missed them with all his shots and said to his hunting partners “ you just witnessed a miracle, those dead ducks just flew away”!

Clueless1

I'm still fairly new to the whole bird game.  There's a few that my friends have ribbed me with.  My whitetail experience showed through quite often when I would pull up, shoot once at a spot the bird used to be and put the gun down expecting a bird to be falling.  Finally one of them piped in "You know there's more than one shell in that gun to miss with."

Or another as we were getting ready to start walking from the truck "If you could keep your dog a little closer I think you'd have better luck just throwing the gun at anything that comes up."

Another, while I was finally admiring a rooster I shot "That's definitely one of the most expensive birds I've ever seen." 

SelbyLowndes

Another "Old Man and the Boy" classic quote from Ruark: 'Other people's turkeys always taste better'...SelbyLowndes

3 hours ago, GLS said:

“Neither can I, by logical deduction, prove a thicket without the potential roar of a quail covey is only a thorny place.  Yet every outdoorsman knows that is true.  That wildlife is merely something to shoot at or to look at is the grossest of fallacies.  It often represents the difference between rich country and mere land.”  Aldo Leopold, Round River p. 32.

I wish I could like this 100X.