REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
gjw

Refurbished E-Collars - Thoughts

gjw

Hi all, anyone have any thoughts on getting a factory refurbished E-Collar?  Are they a good value or are you throwing your $$ away?

The E-collar is a Garmin/Tri Tronics product BTW

Thanks!

Greg

RGSIII

I have mixed feelings about refurbished items.  Many of the electronic items that are replaced under warranty are refurbished, some work well and on others you rapidly find out why they originally were sent back.  I have no actual hands on experience with Garmin's refurbs.  

Many refurbs have a shorter warranty, my understanding is Garmin's are 90 days vs. one year for the new ones.  I would hate to buy one for use in the fall, have it go out right before the season and then have to buy a new one.  If my recent experience with Garmin GPS antennae is any indication, I would want one that was new and not risk having one that was a few years old to start with.

gjw

Thanks for your thoughts RGSIII.  I should have mentioned that I'd be using this collar for training only.  For hunting I use my Alpha 100.

Best,

Greg

Mike da Carpenter

Bought a refurbished Alpha last year and it came with a 1 year warranty that I have not yet needed (knocking on wood as I typed that).  Have had no issues beyond the learning curve of all the needless info on the unit.