REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Samuel Hoggson

In defense of a 40 year old whatsit.

Samuel Hoggson

Good crappy weather day to gas and fire up winterized saws, and such.  Wife's Husky weed whacker wouldn't go.  Kinda wanted to but wouldn't.  Figured flooded it, so loaded 12s for awhile. 

That didn't help.  Finally gave up and pulled the plug.  Yup, it's getting gas.  And yup, carbon-ed up bad.  Figured just to clean it up, then my lazy voice said just put in a new one.  Cuz that's what we do, ever since unleaded gas and electronic ignitions. 

Then realized the plug I pulled was a new-ish one.  Hmmm.....wonder if I still have my......

ancientwhatsit.thumb.JPG.65769ec00262b3804c727c8c39dc29e0.JPG

Bought it in 1978 for VWs.  Last time used was on an XJ-6 about 1991.  Evidently when I fogged the Husky engine last fall musta dropped the plug b/c the gap was about 0.010.  Bent it back out to 0.025, cleaned, installed, and the thing fired up first pull and runs like new.  

Wife sez I keep stuff way too long.  When she gets home will show her this, prove her wrong. 

Well, maybe best not to mention it.   

MNice

Haven't used a feeler gauge in years. Most of the time, plugs are gaped correctly out of the box.

Brad Eden

I have one of those and also one with the thin gauge blades. I can't break the habit of checking gaps when replacing plugs. 

Thats an antique. How much you asking for it...?

Felix

I'm pretty sure I have a feeler gauge around here some where. I haven't seen it in years but if I dug around long enough...   I can't believe I would have thrown it out.

Remember when the car would start running rough in damp weather?  Change the points, plugs and condenser and check the distributor cap for cracks. You were good to go. Now about the only thing I can do to my car is add washer fluid.

WyomingArt

Never know when you're going to need a gap gauge. I have at least three, someplace, or I think I did, maybe not. Maybe in the rolling box or in the truck. Or at the neighbor's.

Shoot... I have underwear older than 1991.... just sayin'. At least I can find those, most of the time. It's tough to get old....

Samuel Hoggson
10 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Thats an antique. How much you asking for it...?

Depends.  If I tell my wife she was wrong about something......anything, you'll buy it off my estate.  Probably, she'd give it for free.  But you'd have to move quick.  She might just incinerate it with me.   

Keep my mouth shut - likely - will keep it in case I bend another ground strap.  Never know when you're going to need a whatsit. 

Don Steese

Tell her you spent $$$ to get it running, just because it was her favorite power tool!!

sharptail grouse
1 hour ago, Samuel Hoggson said:

Good crappy weather day to gas and fire up winterized saws, and such.  Wife's Husky weed whacker wouldn't go.  Kinda wanted to but wouldn't.  Figured flooded it, so loaded 12s for awhile. 

That didn't help.  Finally gave up and pulled the plug.  Yup, it's getting gas.  And yup, carbon-ed up bad.  Figured just to clean it up, then my lazy voice said just put in a new one.  Cuz that's what we do, ever since unleaded gas and electronic ignitions. 

Then realized the plug I pulled was a new-ish one.  Hmmm.....wonder if I still have my......

ancientwhatsit.thumb.JPG.65769ec00262b3804c727c8c39dc29e0.JPG

Bought it in 1978 for VWs.  Last time used was on an XJ-6 about 1991.  Evidently when I fogged the Husky engine last fall musta dropped the plug b/c the gap was about 0.010.  Bent it back out to 0.025, cleaned, installed, and the thing fired up first pull and runs like new.  

Wife sez I keep stuff way too long.  When she gets home will show her this, prove her wrong. 

Well, maybe best not to mention it.   

That'll teach her....

Samuel Hoggson
17 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

Tell her you spent $$$ to get it running, just because it was her favorite power tool!!

Evidently, you want Brad to end up with the antique..........

Don Steese
5 hours ago, Samuel Hoggson said:

Evidently, you want Brad to end up with the antique..........

Eden is not to be trusted with a valuable antique like that! He'd lose it!!

max2

After hit'n 60 last month every time someone put's up something and claims it to be an antique that I own and still use ....... I'm feeling it.....

P1000697.JPG

WI Outdoor Nut

What is interesting, I have that exact same gauge.  And have not used it in decades.  But I do have my 2 stroke 25 horse merc running like a top FWIW.  Have not ran that motor in years.  But now with a 14 year old son who wants to take out the boat on his own, it is a great place for him to start.  And if he can't get it started, he can't go.  Love to see his determination. 

Chukarman

Yeah - I have feeler gauges, gap gauges, etc. I didn't know that they were 'old'. I figure that, if I buy a tool, I'll have it for life - or until someone 'borrows' it.

Alaskan Swamp Collie
On 5/15/2019 at 12:45 PM, Felix said:

I'm pretty sure I have a feeler gauge around here some where. I haven't seen it in years but if I dug around long enough...   I can't believe I would have thrown it out.

Remember when the car would start running rough in damp weather?  Change the points, plugs and condenser and check the distributor cap for cracks. You were good to go. Now about the only thing I can do to my car is add washer fluid.

Had a friend who got me going using his pocket knife as a gauge. Different blades different gaps he said, all I know was that he made it go. Also patched cracked distributer caps with silicon. I think I still know how to check the oil

settem
On 5/15/2019 at 4:06 PM, MNice said:

Haven't used a feeler gauge in years. Most of the time, plugs are gaped correctly out of the box.

I must be using the wrong brands of plugs, because my experience is a box of 8 will be all over the place on gap width. 

I have a couple of those same gauges in the top of the tool box. I don’t believe I have ever installed a plug without “gapping it” first.