REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Samuel Hoggson

In defense of a 40 year old whatsit.

bigdog MN

I thought a feeler gauge was std issue, along with a set of tools, when you left home to be on your own.

henryrski

What would life be without a feeler gauge?

aje4

I still use mine...though, like someone said, most plugs are properly gapped now out of the box.

Swampy 16
On 5/15/2019 at 3:06 PM, Samuel Hoggson said:

Good crappy weather day to gas and fire up winterized saws, and such.  Wife's Husky weed whacker wouldn't go.  Kinda wanted to but wouldn't.  Figured flooded it, so loaded 12s for awhile. 

That didn't help.  Finally gave up and pulled the plug.  Yup, it's getting gas.  And yup, carbon-ed up bad.  Figured just to clean it up, then my lazy voice said just put in a new one.  Cuz that's what we do, ever since unleaded gas and electronic ignitions. 

Then realized the plug I pulled was a new-ish one.  Hmmm.....wonder if I still have my......

ancientwhatsit.thumb.JPG.65769ec00262b3804c727c8c39dc29e0.JPG

Bought it in 1978 for VWs.  Last time used was on an XJ-6 about 1991.  Evidently when I fogged the Husky engine last fall musta dropped the plug b/c the gap was about 0.010.  Bent it back out to 0.025, cleaned, installed, and the thing fired up first pull and runs like new.  

Wife sez I keep stuff way too long.  When she gets home will show her this, prove her wrong. 

Well, maybe best not to mention it.   

And I thought it was a Chinese throwing star, lol. Tell your wife she’s kept you this long, to keep stuff like that for that long so you can keep things like her weed whacker that long. I don’t like throwing things out, I feel like I’m ripping myself off.

Tjasper

They still make the same style, but that patina is nice. There is also a round one with a kind of ramp. In the motorcycle world, we dont gap NGK plugs if they come straight from the box. Harley shops do gap everything it seems. Japanese bike techs dont though. NGK are good to go typically. Maybe you should make a necklace of it. You will need a good story to go with it though.