$150 Off All Garmin Fenix Series GPS Watches

Cooter Brown

On 6/16/2019 at 7:57 PM, BIRDDOG 307 said:

Wish I would have seen this sale earlier as it looks like it would save time. Can the watch be paired up to collars on my 550+ and 430 at the same time or do you pair up each time you use different units?

Birddog 307

Allen, if I understand your question, you don't have to pair up the watch at all.  When you activate the dog tracking function on the watch it searches for a nearby handheld and shows the dogs that are being tracked on that handheld.  It doesn't matter which handheld you're using--the watch automatically finds it without having to set anything up.  Just activate dog tracking on the watch and as long as it's close enough to a handheld you're cookin' with gas.

At least that's the way the Instinct works, which is the one I got.  I bet the Fenix works the same.

I almost hate to say how much I like the thing because I'm such a damned old curmudgeon, but it's fantastic.  I don't think the absence of a color screen is a disadvantage, even with more than one dog, but the only use I intend for it is dog tracking.

BIRDDOG 307

Steve that is great to know as it would make my life easier than pulling the tracker. I need to get one.

Thanks Allen

Dogmountain

Hi Allen,

I would pair the handheld you use most frequently as they will both send the same info to the watch.  There are a few apps that you can add to the watch via Garmin Connect IQ. I use the Dog Tracker Plus App which provides the following:

Features

Compatible with most Alpha, Astro, Atemos, and Pro 550 Plus devices

Full on-device customization - no phone app needed to configure 

Map with dog tracks / location + detailed map on compatible watches

Auto Zoom - keep dogs visible on breadcrumb map

Dog distance alerts - customizable tones

Dog moving/stopped alerts

Dog odometer

Dog location/trails on maps - limitations based on device memory

Movement indication for each dog

Battery status for tracker and dog collars

Distance displayed in yards or meters, depending on user settings

Up to 20 dogs - depending on your Tracker device 

If you're an outdoorsman the watch will do so much more.  I have the Fenix 5X and use it for out and back navigation for big game archery elk, antelope and deer.  I also ride enduro moto in the mountains and there is an app for trail riding.  If you golf, you can download course maps that will keep score and provide distances to the hole. Also a must for runners.  I basically got it for use with my Garmin tracking collars but found it ideal for many other things.  Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Cooter Brown
59 minutes ago, Dogmountain said:

Hi Allen,

I would pair the handheld you use most frequently as they will both send the same info to the watch.  There are a few apps that you can add to the watch via Garmin Connect IQ. I use the Dog Tracker Plus App which provides the following:

Features

Dog odometer

If you're an outdoorsman the watch will do so much more.  I have the Fenix 5X and use it for out and back navigation for big game archery elk, antelope and deer.  I also ride enduro moto in the mountains and there is an app for trail riding.  If you golf, you can download course maps that will keep score and provide distances to the hole. Also a must for runners.  I basically got it for use with my Garmin tracking collars but found it ideal for many other things.  Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Obviously this is better info than I gave--I'm not sure if any of this works on the Instinct, which does what I want it to do with the "widget" that came on it, telling me how far the dog is and pointing at it.

4 hours ago, Dogmountain said:

Hi Allen,

Features

Dog odometer

Onle one...when will they go back on sale...missed this 😞

J4B