REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
mccuha

Wader shoes

Chukarman

Another alternative for stream traction are Stream Cleats - I have a pair from Dan Bailey - a rubber overshoe with felt and VERY aggressive aluminum channels riveted on the soles. I use these over my Simms shoes when the going gets really slippery. The work like magic for me.

Patagonia and Boa have Stream Cleat products and there are several makers of crampon type cleats made and offered. They are a bit like Korkers.

593417633_StreamCleats.jpg.e0744c110f63e28b52733f717ed662b5.jpg

E.Young

I wet-wade in saltwater multiple times a week, from sandy beaches to surf-pounded jetties to pluff mud and sod banks. I have two primary options: some old Orvis Christmas Tree Island boots for when things are soft, or a pair of felt-soled wading boots with carbide studs, paired with fold-over neoprene wading socks when I need traction or will be walking over oyster beds or other sharp things. 

With the felt/carbide combo (I buy them annually and my current pair are the cheapest Cabela's model), I can feel very confident standing on a washed-over jetty with snotty, slick rocks, and the stakes can be high in those situations. 

On felt vs rubber: Felt grips, rubber slips. There is no comparison - I've tried them all and I'll take cheap felt + carbide over the most expensive rubber + anything boots out there, and when the risk of slipping is the risk of going into the wash 100yd out on a jetty with a strong rip, great whites, idiot boaters, $3-4k in gear... my safety, staying put, is the priority. There's a lot more to the underlying idea of the felt vs rubber debate than soles... if invasives are transferred via felt soles, they're transferring at as high or higher rates via boat bilges, raft straps, boots themselves, laces, waders, gravel guards, etc etc etc. The list of places banning felt is pretty darn short and I'm quite confident it isn't getting longer for those reasons. 

shoot-straight

Another vote for Simms. My orvis ones fell apart ASAP. I think Mine are vapors as well.

spring

Skip the waders and these work pretty well....  😉

CEC07415-6699-4A38-9601-CECC67A53E17.jpeg

Swampy 16
6 hours ago, shoot-straight said:

Another vote for Simms. My orvis ones fell apart ASAP. I think Mine are vapors as well.

Orvis will replace those, ASAP !