REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Official 2019 Garden Thread

Brad Eden

OK. Maine. Crappy cold, rainy spring. I have my potatos in and just planted broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage transplants. I may try and sneak in some onion sets, radish, lettuce, kale and spinach (sowed seeds) this week in between the rain. Probably won't plant anything else like to tomatos, peppers, squashes, cukes, or pumpkin transplants until after May 31st. Might risk some of that early and use a cold frame I built last fall over a  raised bed. Also may sow green and wax beens in a week since they won't emerge til after the predicted last frost date.  Vegetable gardening in Maine is an exercise in patience and dodging cold and rainy weather.

How does your garden grow?

Treerooster

Got broccoli, cabbage, spinach, peas, carrots and onions planted and already coming up in my NE Colorado garden. All sown from seed directly in the garden. I plant storage onions from seed and I usually have onions to eat until the next year's onions are big enough to eat, get green onions out of those when I thin them. 

I won't get home from turkey hunting until about June 1st, but I have green peppers and tomatoes already started and growing inside and will plant those then. I will also sow green beans, cucumbers, zucchini, cantaloupe and watermelon seeds when I get back. 

Have a raspberry patch and asparagus bed as perennials too. The asparagus was already harvested and some froze before I left for Wisconsin in early May. 

Remo

Pretty good. Same weather here though. I cut the first asparagus tonight. Planted quite a bit more of it two weeks ago along with a row of raspberries. The strawberry plants were planted at the same time in an old combine tire filled with dirt. Now I won't have to bend over. I thought the sidewall of tire would hard to remove but a sharp box cutter did the job. The wild berry bushes are just starting to have flower buds along with the apple trees, Haralson, Honey Crisp, and I forget. Oh yeah, Honey Red. I like perennials. But I did plant 5 varieties of corn before the rain . Two were sweet, and two were rainbow flint, and one was blue. We swap corn to the neighbor for other veggies from his greenhouse.

Brad Eden

I like the relative ease of raised beds. (Only real choice at this new to us place with gravel ground) but miss the huge open ground and tilled garden at old place. I had large blocks of different corn varieties and pumpkin patches. I just don't have much luck with corn and pumpkins in raised beds.

gaberdeen

Planted my tomatoes in pots today. Tomorrow I will turn over the garden bed and plant some Swiss chard, leeks, and broccoli. In another bed I will plant zucchini and spaghetti squash. The final bed will get pole beans and cucumbers. Yesterday was 85 here today it only hit 60. Hopefully the weather takes a turn for the better.

1971snipe

I planted tomatoes and jalapenos in containers this year, and committed my entire garden spot to field corn and purple Hull peas.  I planted everything on Good Friday, as is my custom.  The bad weather week before last knocked over the corn but it appears to have come back.  I've been picking blackberries for 2-3 weeks now.  Muscadine grapes are full of blooms.  The fig tree froze and I topped it this spring.  Same with the young pecan tree.  The plum tree is barren, as is the biscamp pear.  The pineapple pear tree doubled it's crop from last year, (1 pear last year; this year 2 pears).   In a couple weeks I plan to plant okra, and some pumpkins.  

I'm looking into planting hops.  Thinking about running wires from the roof of the house, attached to stakes on the ground.  We'll see.  

Brad Eden

I built a cold frame to go over a raised bed last fall and we enjoyed greens through November. I pulled that frame off to work soil and a lot of the old lettuce has sprouted again. And...as I type this there is a snowshow hare up in the bed eating that lettuce. He gets a pass today, and I do put chicken wire around most beds...but I'm only so generous...

Fire Marshal Bill
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

I built a cold frame to go over a raised bed last fall and we enjoyed greens through November. I pulled that frame off to work soil and a lot of the old lettuce has sprouted again. And...as I type this there is a snowshow hare up in the bed eating that lettuce. He gets a pass today, and I do put chicken wire around most beds...but I'm only so generous...

A little meat to go along with your vegetables!!!

Brad Eden

Sowed a bed with radish, carrots, onion sets and Kale yesterday. I'm resisting the temptation to plant squash and pumpkin transplants. I might construct a simple A-frame "greenhouse" to go over a 4 x8' bed with 3x2's and clear plastic and get an early start.

Oh, and we are inundated with them hares. I left a garage bay open by mistake last night. When I went out this morning I saw the motion light inside was on. I looked in and a snowshoe hare was in garage. It was comical watching it scramble around in circles when it  saw me. Bastage better not have chewed on my tractor. 

gaberdeen

Put in some raised beds today in an area that gets better sun. I still need some more soil to fill them with which probably won’t get done until next week. I have a flat of leeks, some broccoli and Swiss chard that still needs to be planted. I’m thinking of planting some raspberries in the older bed I have that gets more dappled sunlight.

Brad Eden

I built an A-Frame "green house",today; 3"x2" studs, clear plastic, hinged, etc. It fits over a 4x8 raised bed. I figured I'd use it if I get anxious about putting in cukes or tomatoes. Seeded wax beans and geeen beans too. Risky since soil isn't real warm, but weather looks just Ok for the next week and they shouldn't sprout for a spell. Will seed a bunch of lettuce and spinach on the next decent day...but we have more rain coming tomorrow. At end of month all the peppers, squashes, pumpkins, cukes, and tomato transplants will go in. Then I will fill in any extra space with whatever.

gwponr

Here in Cali I Started most all my seeds over the winter in a little green house on heating pads. I started planting into the ground around late March early april.  

Salad greens I seeded in raised beds earlier. Here are some of the lettuces I have been picking

IMG_2048_zpshxabfh5d.jpg

Mike da Carpenter

We are simple when it comes to gardens.  Today, we planted pickling cucumbers, Gypsy peppers, green bush & wax pole beans and just for grins we decided to plant 4 stalks of sweet corn just because it was $1.69 to see what happens.  

Our tomatoes last year were awful at best so we opted to skip tomatoes all together as they are relatively cheap at the market or already canned at the store.  The beans are a new addition, and we are looking forward to see how they produce.  The corn is probably not going to last as the GSP has obviously found an attraction to the growing stalks.

We bought everything already started as growing from seed has lost its appeal as we age.

Felix

I harvested my asparagus for the last time last week.  From now on I'll let it grow up and recharge the roots for next year.  Today I put the tomato and pepper plants in. And planted herbs and zucchini from seed.  I see garden salsa in my future. Oh, and put in some cucumbers for pickling.

gwponr

This pic says I took it on May 2

IMG_2051_zpsgprgjfru.jpg

I took this from the same spot this evening

IMG_2110_zpsy09rz6kk.jpg

I was surprised at how fast thins have taken off,  all but my peppers it has been 50's-60's and off and on drizzle most every week and they aren't liking it