REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Official 2019 Garden Thread

Brad Eden

I get excited about gardening, obviously. But not quite that excited. 

Im planning on planting Buttercup,  Butternut, Zuchinni, and yellow sunmer squash today. Maybe a couple pumpkins. Still holding off on cucumbers, haven't even bought any transplants yet. Tomatos and Peppers will be the last to go in. 

drummer's stump

I have been getting pretty anxious to get our garden going, but I wanted to give it another week before we planted everything. Sure glad I was able to hold off, the thermometer on the back of the says 27 the one on front says 26, not much would survive freeze like that. We have been behind up here, not much blooming, I did see some high bush cranberries with a few blossoms.

Alaskan Swamp Collie

It's official, we had the rainiest May on record, 4 times normal amount. Almost like our August which is the rainiest month. That said the covered boxes are doing fine, greenhouse looks great and the berry plants are blossoming well. For a miracle the haspkaps blossom can get in the 20's and not freeze, tough buggers. And with all the rain I don't have to water and in our area there are no forest fires so no smoke problems. The interior is the opposite, they are smoke covered.

gaberdeen

Finished one of the raised beds today. It got Swiss chard,  brussel sprouts and broccoli although it may be a little late for broccoli. Also purchased some raspberry plants for another area. 

Brad Eden

Planted my cucumber and pumpkin transplants today. Tomorrow will be tomatos and peppers. Then basil in herb bed in a week or so. (I LOVE the Pesto JoAnn makes!)

gwponr
18 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Planted my cucumber and pumpkin transplants today. Tomorrow will be tomatos and peppers. Then basil in herb bed in a week or so. (I LOVE the Pesto JoAnn makes!)

I am going to make a cilantro pesto this weekend, I have a bunch of cilantro ready and was looking for a way to use it. the recipe calls for pecans instead of pine nuts, looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

gwponr

These are my raised beds 

IMG_2102_zpsfdw2rvge.jpg

The closest bed has purple sweet potatoes and celery some of which is going to seed so I can collect them. The other beds I have swiss chard kale  lettuces cauliflower green onions and a topeana lunga  onion that is a torpedo shaped shallot looking onion(very flavorful raw or cooked) out of site is an old bathtub that has flowers and milkweed for the butterflies bees and humming birds. There is also a blood orange tree between the beds 

I covered all the open ground around between and around the plants with pine mulch to keep the weeds down

IMG_2097_zpstv8c7bx5.jpg

IMG_2098_zpsepup2btk.jpg

Chief Paduke

Does anyone use a cultivator attachment for their trimmer? Echo makes one for the brush cutter that I have, but at $200 I would like to like to know if it is worth it. 

Brad Eden

12 Tomato plants of a variety of types, green bell peppers and a couple Jalapeño peppers went in today. 

1971snipe

Picked the first tomato today, plus a couple jalapenos.  

IMG_20190531_164904930.jpg

Alaskan Swamp Collie

Saw the first little peppers today. Have cukes all of 3 inches. Haspkap berries are setting. Apple trees are blossoming. Needed to add dirt to some of the potato buckets today.

Mike da Carpenter

Since it finally got to 65* here today, I decided it was time to build a trellis for the pole beans to grow on as I think it would look neat on the side of the house and I had nothing planned for today...FINALLY.  My Sister-in-Law stopped by and said she “would love to have a trellis just like this one in her flower shop” (that she is opening in a couple weeks).  Well needless to say, probably not gonna get time to build another one this year, and just got done pounding in some 8’ long 2”x2” for the beans to climb instead this year.  She is the kind of person who would drop anything for us, so it is the very least I could do for her.  Next year I’ll give it some more thought and see what else I can come up with.  Simple design I came up with last night and it only cost $72 buying everything at Home Depot.  

8EB9111B-3C0E-470A-8192-07ACE65D908C.thumb.jpeg.c9c31c7605ae134930c29405f37dad69.jpeg

0521086D-1F15-4B3A-8D4E-511EB02EDA08.thumb.jpeg.efc180ddf4f224cf9b01cda448dad23f.jpeg

F94FDA88-881D-46B6-ACDE-7C249817EA61.thumb.jpeg.1dc83f4bc1b819df4fc3b556051418d6.jpeg

Fire Marshal Bill

Mike, I am always impressed with your work. It's just amazing what you can do with lumber, a saw, hammer & some nails. It's no wonder your services are on demand. 

Take care. 

OldSarge

Cool trellis! I hope you don’t mind if I poach that design for my grape arbor. I finally got my garden plot tilled last week. Garden goes in this week. 

1971snipe

Very nice trellis/arbor, Mike, and like Sarge, I may "borrow" from that design as well.