REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Official 2019 Garden Thread

Mike da Carpenter
31 minutes ago, OldSarge said:

Cool trellis! I hope you don’t mind if I poach that design for my grape arbor. I finally got my garden plot tilled last week. Garden goes in this week. 

Mind???  Here is the material list.  End panels were made with 2x4x7’ and 2’ wide lattice that is 66-3/8” tall (just for aesthetic purposes). The horizontal is 2x6x8’ and for the radius (horizontal beam and also diagonal bracing) I used one of our tomato cages that is being used for bush beans this year as I have no idea if they will hold themselves up or require a cage to stay upright (I’m new to growing beans).  The end panels are 6’ apart outside to outside measurement.  2-3/4” cabinet screws are holding the structure together along with some 1/4”x3/4” staples holding the lattice in place.  

Any questions, please ask.

OldSarge
19 minutes ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Mind???  Here is the material list.  End panels were made with 2x4x7’ and 2’ wide lattice that is 66-3/8” tall (just for aesthetic purposes). The horizontal is 2x6x8’ and for the radius (horizontal beam and also diagonal bracing) I used one of our tomato cages that is being used for bush beans this year as I have no idea if they will hold themselves up or require a cage to stay upright (I’m new to growing beans).  The end panels are 6’ apart outside to outside measurement.  2-3/4” cabinet screws are holding the structure together along with some 1/4”x3/4” staples holding the lattice in place.  

Any questions, please ask.

Sweet!, thanks Mike. When I get it built (maybe not for a while) I will post pics and apply credit where it’s due. 

WyomingArt

Coastal Pacific Northwest, warm weather comes about July 4th, so cool weather crops are:  raspberries, blueberries,  2 kinds of beets, 2 types of onions, acorn squash, leeks, mix of lettuces, and Ozette potatoes ( a small, lumpy, heirloom introduced to the Makah people in 1792, and "rediscovered" about  1980, raised by just a few people. Later proven  more or less that pure strain taken from Peru  a couple hundred years ago and raised by one tribe since then.

Warm weather stuff: 6 kinds of tomatoes go in a small green house or tucked into a sunny  corner,  a couple zucchini. Kitchen herbs go in a kitchen patch near the door.

Alaskan Swamp Collie
On 6/2/2019 at 12:43 PM, Mike da Carpenter said:

Since it finally got to 65* here today, I decided it was time to build a trellis for the pole beans to grow on as I think it would look neat on the side of the house and I had nothing planned for today...FINALLY.  My Sister-in-Law stopped by and said she “would love to have a trellis just like this one in her flower shop” (that she is opening in a couple weeks).  Well needless to say, probably not gonna get time to build another one this year, and just got done pounding in some 8’ long 2”x2” for the beans to climb instead this year.  She is the kind of person who would drop anything for us, so it is the very least I could do for her.  Next year I’ll give it some more thought and see what else I can come up with.  Simple design I came up with last night and it only cost $72 buying everything at Home Depot.  

8EB9111B-3C0E-470A-8192-07ACE65D908C.thumb.jpeg.c9c31c7605ae134930c29405f37dad69.jpeg

0521086D-1F15-4B3A-8D4E-511EB02EDA08.thumb.jpeg.efc180ddf4f224cf9b01cda448dad23f.jpeg

F94FDA88-881D-46B6-ACDE-7C249817EA61.thumb.jpeg.1dc83f4bc1b819df4fc3b556051418d6.jpeg

If I dressed like that outside up here I would die from blood loss rapidly. Cool design on the trellis. My big news is that it looks like my cherry experiment will finally pay off. I have blossoms all over my cherry"trees", more like bushes. If you can grow cherries in Alaska what else is possible?

61bhs

It hasn’t stopped raining and the river is near record crest but I have managed to get some garden going.

9ED3A255-01DA-484A-B1DF-CA76370B7663.jpeg

61bhs

552EBAD1-5D67-4E51-AA6B-F14B9E19E2CE.jpeg

Brad Eden

The two new empty beds from the photo I posted previously have finally been filled. It's been impossible to find any sifted loam or loam/compost mix. Everything has been too wet. Finally found a local farmer who had some and he dump trucked off 2 yards; 1/2 loam, 1/2 compost mixed. He dropped it next to garage and I used the sub compact tractor to move and dump into the beds. Dang handy. I went out on a limb and planted sweet corn in one along with a couple pumpkin seed mounds. I planted buttercup, and butternut squash in the other and a section of mixed salad stuff like radish, carrot, lettuce, spinach and onion sets. So that's it, I'm 'all in'. Now the tending and waiting begins.

gwponr
On 5/31/2019 at 8:50 AM, gwponr said:

I am going to make a cilantro pesto this weekend, I have a bunch of cilantro ready and was looking for a way to use it. the recipe calls for pecans instead of pine nuts, looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

clipped a bunch of cilantro Saturday and made the cilantro pesto from a recipe online.  it came out amazingly well, I also gave some to my neighbor and they loved it too.

IMG_2136_zps38jmgph3.jpg

I had only a small amount left after dinner and had some other things I wanted to do with it. I tried to add more ingredients to the blender and then the blender seized up, let vitamin cool cool and tried again and again it got hot and shut down.  In the end I mixed it to much, so much so that it was a paste, the change in texture killed it so I wound up dumping the second batch into the trash. Definitely something I will try again.

lettuce I picked yesterday 

IMG_2139_zpspqnzn6tz.jpg

IMG_2140_zpswer8np3b.jpg

1971snipe

My little corn patch was about 3' tall when rough weather knocked it all down.  I was out of town for a week and when I returned I found that it had almost all recovered.  

It grew, tasselled, began showing silk a couple days ago.  

IMG_20190603_155928327.jpg

This afternoon and tonight we've had more wind and between 9-10" of rain, and looking out back in the dark, I can just make out the corn all laying down again.  

1971snipe
10 hours ago, 1971snipe said:

My little corn patch was about 3' tall when rough weather knocked it all down.  I was out of town for a week and when I returned I found that it had almost all recovered.  

It grew, tasselled, began showing silk a couple days ago.  

IMG_20190603_155928327.jpg

This afternoon and tonight we've had more wind and between 9-10" of rain, and looking out back in the dark, I can just make out the corn all laying down again.  

Yep, some stalks laying over and some are broken.  I really feel for the farmers whose crops are getting hammered this spring.  

gaberdeen

Planted a bed of blackberry and raspberry bushes today. Rest of the garden is doing well. Tomato’s are setting fruit. Tomorrow I will plant a few pepper plants that I have in pots. My chard is finally starting to get some size to it.

1971snipe

Picked a few ears of corn yesterday.  Also got started on a batch of picante sauce with tomato's, peppers and onions.  Okra plants are a few inches tall, as well as the pumpkins.  

IMG_20190622_154816461.jpg

Brad Eden

I'll take a photo and Post later. The raised beds... Garden of Eden is doing well. Everything is off to a good start. We are starting in on the greens: lettuce, spinach and Kale. Typically we don't enjoy cukes, corn, tomatos etc until the deep warm days of August. And strawberries are ripening too, so I put bird mesh over those beds. 

gaberdeen

A few pics of my humble garden for the year.

6C6F6DD5-1811-4697-BA62-572AE0A64D6B.jpeg

905D5836-D19B-461B-8576-4F2D0AAD1E2F.jpeg

Chief Paduke

Mrs. Chief waded into the garden this morning, for the first jalapeños, cukes, and sweet peppers.