REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Official 2019 Garden Thread

1971snipe

Picante sauce is simering on the stove tonight.  Tomatoes, peppers, jalapenos, onions, garlic and salt.  I'll add vinegar later and simmer some more.  

IMG_20190623_182546331.jpg

1971snipe
14 hours ago, 1971snipe said:

Picante sauce is simering on the stove tonight.  Tomatoes, peppers, jalapenos, onions, garlic and salt.  I'll add vinegar later and simmer some more.  

IMG_20190623_182546331.jpg

And after cooking down to the taste and consistency I like, I ended up with almost 7 jars.  We already ate the partial jar last night with chips and nachos.  

The way my plants are looking I doubt I'll get another 20 tomatoes, which is my minimum for a batch of sauce.  

IMG_20190624_084818112.jpg

Brad Eden

IMG_1125.JPG

Good start for a Maine northern climate. Far back beds are both dedicated strawberry beds. Far left are the new beds that went in late with squashes and mixed greens and pumpkins and corn. Next row from back to front are yellow and red potates. Summer, Zuke, butternut and buttercup squash, red cabbage; Radishes, onions, carrots, kale; Spinach, assorted lettuce types. Right back to front; broccoli, cauliflower; Wax and green bush beans; Pumpkins, cucumbers; Tomatos. Small herb bed on far right with basil, celantro, mint, chives etc.

C.J.L.

Question for those in the know.  I have three young apple trees.  Past 5 years all three always had blossoms and apples.  This year two never blossomed and have no little apples on them but the 3rd bloomed fine and has a fair number of apples.  Ideas? 

polecat

First small haul but happy to see some red ones.

2019 tomato 628 002.JPG

WPG Gizmo
On 6/26/2019 at 8:14 AM, C.J.L. said:

Question for those in the know.  I have three young apple trees.  Past 5 years all three always had blossoms and apples.  This year two never blossomed and have no little apples on them but the 3rd bloomed fine and has a fair number of apples.  Ideas? 

Did you do any pruning of the trees?  If yes you may have pruned to much or to much fertilizer 

https://extension.psu.edu/home-orchards-why-is-there-no-fruit-on-my-tree

WPG Gizmo

Right now the corn is knee high,  the tomatoes have a lot of buds same with the peppers,  cukes and there are a bunch of zucchinis growing. 

The Squash is spreading out but dont expect that till later in the season  

gaberdeen

Picked a fair amount of Swiss chard yesterday and had it sautéed with some garlic. Man it was tasty! Getting impatient for some tomatoes but they seem to be taking their sweet time. Should have some zucchini to pick by the end of the week.

gwponr

IMG_2160.thumb.JPG.bc3168e0e66aa0ddc6fa457ac6e5279d.JPG

That moment when you realize you didn't leave enough space between plants...  Back left, tomato back center tomatillo back right another tomato left front is my squash which is crowding out my broccolini front left under squash and front center you have a couple leaves from my cauliflower 

Brad Eden
4 minutes ago, gwponr said:

IMG_2160.thumb.JPG.bc3168e0e66aa0ddc6fa457ac6e5279d.JPG

That moment when you realize you didn't leave enough space between plants...  Back left, tomato back center tomatillo back right another tomato left front is my squash which is crowding out my broccolini front left under squash and front center you have a couple leaves from my cauliflower 

Nice.

I pack my vegetable plants in when I had an inground garden and now with raised beds. Once things are established I don't want to see any dirt, the vegetables act as natural mulch.

UplandHntr

Theres a local ice cream shop near by that has tomato plants every year that they grow on/in bales of straw.  They are always the biggest and fastest growing plants and are covered up in tomatoes. Anyone else try this? No dirt anywhere

Spiller

Even though the rhubarb was ready about 2 weeks ago and still is, I was only finally able to harvest 2 quarts of strawberries to have a strawberry rhubarb pie last evening. Maybe for the last week I could nibble one or two, here or there. We are way behind this year..... 

Brad Eden

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_1133.JPG

Lettuce, spinach and kale are out of control. Baby summer squash being consumed. And strawberries are booming if we can get to them before the squirrels and mice. I do have bird mesh over the strawberry beds but them rodents slip in. Broccoli and cauliflower crowns growing nicely. I even have some little cucumbers forming. 

Clueless1

Something has eaten all the leaves off my zucchini plants.  Got back from vacation and all the leaves were gone.  I am assuming Japanese beetles.  I haven't had problems with them the last few years but my neighbors have. 

gwponr

spent the last two hours shucking tomatillos, I grew purple and a yellow polish variety but One of the yellows ended up being green. I don't have enough peppers yet to make salsa so I will can most of  these to use in a month or so for tomatillo salsa.  The ones I don't can I will make a batch of tomatillo chicken soup and vacuum seal what I don't eatDSC_5008.thumb.JPG.8de210689b499c35efa1692f172dd43b.JPG