REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Official 2019 Garden Thread

paul frey

my tomatoes are going to be good this year once they turn red. Lots of flowers and big healthy plants. Trying eggplant this year just starting to flower. I do some cucumbers a plant of jalapeños. All plant

in pots

Spiller
On 6/26/2019 at 7:53 AM, Brad Eden said:

IMG_1125.JPG

Good start for a Maine northern climate. Far back beds are both dedicated strawberry beds. Far left are the new beds that went in late with squashes and mixed greens and pumpkins and corn. Next row from back to front are yellow and red potates. Summer, Zuke, butternut and buttercup squash, red cabbage; Radishes, onions, carrots, kale; Spinach, assorted lettuce types. Right back to front; broccoli, cauliflower; Wax and green bush beans; Pumpkins, cucumbers; Tomatos. Small herb bed on far right with basil, celantro, mint, chives etc.

Nice lookin set up....What is the wood used in your raised beds?   Hemlock? Cedar? something else?    I have two 8' x 4' beds that I built maybe 4 or 5 years ago. I used 2x6 hemlock - two boards high with 4 x 4 corners. One is already falling apart...My garden is a mixture of in-ground beds, 8 by 4 raised beds and half whisky barrel containers. I plan to add 4 more 8 by 4 raised beds, and a couple of 4' by 4' ones for next year.  I've heard of people using pressure treated pine but it doesn't sound like a good idea as far as leaching chemicals into my veggies, but maybe it is okay? Curious what do you use?....FWIW, My garden has taken off in the last 2 weeks since the 4th, i've been harvesting beet greens, snap peas, blueberries, strawberries and all kinds of herbs. What is the white stuff and what is it for on the bed in front?

Brad Eden
On 7/19/2019 at 9:01 AM, Spiller said:

Nice lookin set up....What is the wood used in your raised beds?   Hemlock? Cedar? something else?    I have two 8' x 4' beds that I built maybe 4 or 5 years ago. I used 2x6 hemlock - two boards high with 4 x 4 corners. One is already falling apart...My garden is a mixture of in-ground beds, 8 by 4 raised beds and half whisky barrel containers. I plan to add 4 more 8 by 4 raised beds, and a couple of 4' by 4' ones for next year.  I've heard of people using pressure treated pine but it doesn't sound like a good idea as far as leaching chemicals into my veggies, but maybe it is okay? Curious what do you use?....FWIW, My garden has taken off in the last 2 weeks since the 4th, i've been harvesting beet greens, snap peas, blueberries, strawberries and all kinds of herbs. What is the white stuff and what is it for on the bed in front?

Not sure. I inherited all of the 4x8 raised beds when we bought this place in 2014, except for the two on far left. They are treated so are likely prsssure treated pine. My guess is they are close to 15 years old and still holding up. I put in the two 2.5x8 beds this season. I used pressure treated pine. The chemicals they use these days aren't supposed to be a problem. That is a cold frame I built for fall, late winter greens last year. It has two hinged doors that I took off for summer. I'm using it as a sort of green house for tomatos.

1971snipe

Enjoying this thread.  

Quick question/opinion poll:. Are jalapenos still good for pickling if they've aged to a brown or red color?  

IMG_20190720_143930126.jpg

Spiller

Hell yeah...as far as the jalos....

1971snipe

Cantelope vines so far produced just one fruit, which I've been allowing to ripen on the vine.  Then yesterday evening I glanced out back and saw my grandson's lab carrying it across the yard.  I took it from her and brought it in, toothmarks notwithstanding.  

IMG_20190708_194305662.jpg

From nestled beneath muscadines, to the kitchen counter, courtesy of a yellow lab.  

IMG_20190721_092919017.jpg

1971snipe

Meanwhile I discovered that one of the banana trees has bloomed.  Not sure if these are edible, but I've never had any that fully ripened before.  They either get hit by hurricane or frost. These seem to be here early, though.  This could be bad news.  My observation has been that whenever we have bananas we have a hurricane.  Hope I'm wrong this year.  

IMG_20190721_091842355.jpg

ruffneck
21 hours ago, 1971snipe said:

Enjoying this thread.  

Quick question/opinion poll:. Are jalapenos still good for pickling if they've aged to a brown or red color?  

IMG_20190720_143930126.jpg

Yes as long as they're still firm

gaberdeen

Made zucchini stuffed with Swiss chard and tomatoes from my garden. Pretty dam good.

744D35A7-F250-4680-9EA0-45119DB5047F.jpeg

DTB

Key Limes really coming on strong.

This tree blew over in hurricane Irma two years ago.I hitched it to my truck to pull it upright and used cables and stakes to keep it there.

Took awhile but it is producing well again.

Pie last week. Limeade last few days.

IMG_1526.thumb.JPG.e29d0fa6367d41768b6b05e24538fc74.JPG

gwponr

I hd made dill pickles last week the come out good, this weekend I made 51/2 quarts of bred nd butter pickles. Today I pickled pepperocinis and another small batch of dill today I used back tea leaves for tanins to keep them crisp, the last batch i used grape leaves. I will see which of the two I like better

Treerooster

I plant my garden fairly late. Some early veggies get planted in April, but much of the other stuff is planted the 1st of June when I get back from turkey hunting. I eat some veggies as they come due but freeze/can most.

I've been harvesting a few veggies. Peas are all in and plants pulled, 16 pints froze. Carrots are being harvested now, not quite half in. Planted a few more carrots to harvest come fall all a few days ago. Broccoli is being harvest and froze.

Had corned venison and cabbage for lunch today, very good. Along with my tomato juice the whole lunch was from garden & hunting.

Made a bunch of turkey casserole, froze some in vacuum seal bags for camp meals. Canned 22 pint of venison stew, that had carrots &peas in it so it was time to make it. 

Spinach is done and pulled. Ate a bunch fresh and made a gallon of pesto with it and froze that into small cakes about the right size for the wife & I. Still getting lettuce for salads and such too but it's about done. Need to plant some more of that.

Brad Eden

I also plant earlier than most here in Maine. Have been enjoying the usual, but still waiting on corn, beans, cukes, and tomatos and winter type squashes and pumpkins. I need to blanch and freeze a load of cauliflower and broccoli before they flower. Already pulled one section of spinach that bolted and replanted more. My lettuce has gotten too big and gone bitter, so will pull that and try some replanting.  The Kale never dies.

Brad Eden

IMG_1177.JPG

How quickly the northeast growing season winds down. Pulled my spinach and radish and lettuce bed this morning. We got plenty but it had bolted and gotten bitter. Probably won't take in August heat but I reseeded the same in the raised bed. This bucket full went into the compost bin. Used Lil Brutus instead of a wheel barrow because I'm trying not to tax my meniscus scoped knee right now. 

We have been swimming in most everything except for tomatoes that torture us up here. Eating young fresh cucumbers which We love. Also pulled some new red potatoes. Too early to tell how winter squash and pumpkins will turn out. Also the small corn block looks good but I'll believe it when a I chomp down on a sweet ear.

1971snipe

Pickled some jalapenos, including some red ones.  BTW, if anyone has a recipe to share?  I just diluted vinegar, added some salt and a dollop of olive oil, brought it all to a boil, and poured it over the peppers.  

IMG_20190728_113619738.jpg