REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Official 2019 Garden Thread

Allen McCallie

The glories of the blueberry bushes are about 3 weeks past down here, but they sure were great while they lasted!

IMG_4320.JPG

Dave in Maine

Still coming on.  The broccoli rabe - volunteer from last year - was good.  Swiss chard is doing well - made a crustless quiche with it yesterday and oy, was that good. Plenty left for during the week, too.  I had a good crop of strawberries.  Once it warmed up I was getting about 2 quarts every other day.  Total 10 or so quarts.  That went into lots of eating and then 2 batches of jam.

The landlord's raspberries came in while they went up to camp, so I just finished making a batch of jam rather than let them go to waste.  More still on the canes.

My tomatoes are flourishing but no ripe ones yet.  I suspect they'll start coming in this week.  Lettuce is good.

I plant a good bit of herbs.  This year I added borage (2 plants) both because they are pretty and have lots of blue flowers the bees love and because they are a key ingredient in Frankfurter Gruene Sosse, a herb mixture folded into a mayo/sour cream mix to make a fine topping for all sorts of stuff.

I should go weed, but I'm wiped and have a 0300 wakeup - working out of town.

Nice raised beds, Brad.

Chief Paduke

Marc Ret

The fruit wasn't from my trees but I did make some yummy plum jam yesterday. 

image.jpeg

BBlizzard18

Peas are done, first picking of bush beans are pickled/frozen, cucumbers are slowly showing up, should have plenty for pickles and relish in a few days.  Favorite pickle around here is dill fridge pickles.  Pack a large jar with some cukes, couple heads of dill, peppercorns, and mustard seed, and pour a hot brine over the top, let cool and in the fridge.  

First tomato was yesterday, lettuce is in a continuous flow, carrots are thinned.  When I pull the first round of beans I’ll plant some greens that can tolerate the cooler weather in fall.

Most raspberries from the 20 plants don’t make it inside, pumpkins seem to be growing a couple feet a day.  1/4 acre of brassica blend going in next week for deer, which we’ll steal turnips from.  It was a slow start, but things are catching up. 

1A0364DB-5021-4152-8CE4-BDA52CF9C788.jpeg

BBlizzard18
16 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

The fruit wasn't from my trees but I did make some yummy plum jam yesterday. 

image.jpeg

I planted 4 plum trees 3 years ago specifically for plum jam, I think I have a couple years to go before I get enough.  

Marc Ret
4 hours ago, BBlizzard18 said:

I planted 4 plum trees 3 years ago specifically for plum jam, I think I have a couple years to go before I get enough.  

Plum jam is my favorite (peach is a close second) but I have no trees planted. I do have a couple dwarf apple and peach trees I put in a couple years ago but have not gotten any fruit off them yet.

That was only four pounds of plums to make seventeen 1/2 pints and two full pints. With four plum trees, that's going to be a whole lot of jam once your's start producing. Mmmm.

1971snipe

Canning a few pears.  Extracting juice from the remaining fruit, core and all, to try my hand at some wine again this year.   Also picked a pumpkin from a volunteer vine behind the back fence.

IMG_20190731_105819181.jpg

IMG_20190731_105849686.jpg

Marc Ret

With the truck at the shop for state inspection today, it was a good time to do some corn. Started shuckin' early and was able to get 50+ pints in the freezer by lunch. 

image.jpeg

Felix

First patch of pickles for this year.  Besides dill and Garlic, I put a hot pepper in a couple of the jars for a little heat on those cold winter days.

Pickles.JPG.11fa2e5685a9e6ef47c421828384f2f3.JPG

Brad Eden

Nice to see this Topic is still clicking. Tomatoes are finally coming into red. Lots of cucumbers, pulled all the onions yesterday and they are drying out. I'll likely bunch them and hang in garage til freezing temps. Potatos tops have fallen and dying off. I really need to dig them before wet dirt starts to scab them up. Looks like a fair amount of buttercup and butternut squash on vines and a few decent sized pumpkins. Lots of carrots, all greens gone by and pulled. Kale refuses to die...Corn stalks look great and tasseling, but cobs are small. Worst case is the stalks will be used for fall decor. Been a very good garden this year.

Felix

The garden is in full production mode. I picked this nice mix of veggies and herbs this morning for a batch of Garden Salsa.

Veggies.JPG.8ad631301228b01eea44fcdc634c0591.JPG

Hot peppers on the lower left, sweet peppers on the lower right, tomatoes of course, cucumbers and a couple of zucchini.

Herbs scattered about: Parsley, Purple Basil, Rosemary and Oragano

Chief Paduke

I planted 5 hills of pumpkins with 4 plants each. There are lots of flowers  on them, but they are almost all female flowers. Out of all the vines, there are only 3 pumpkins. How did this happen?

BBlizzard18
19 minutes ago, Chief Paduke said:

I planted 5 hills of pumpkins with 4 plants each. There are lots of flowers  on them, but they are almost all female flowers. Out of all the vines, there are only 3 pumpkins. How did this happen?

The male flowers appear first close to the planting sites, and the females appear later a little further down the vine.  It might just be a little early for your plants and you’re seeing male flowers.  

Felix
26 minutes ago, Chief Paduke said:

I think you have it backwards.  The female flowers are the ones that bear fruit.  I'm thinking that you have mostly male flowers. 

This happened to me with my zucchini this year, so I've only got 5 zucchini so far. I googled it and apparently sometimes the male flowers bloom earlier than the females for some reason.  Maybe the cold, wet spring had something to do with it??????

I'm still getting some female flowers so I think I'll get a few more zucchini but not a great year.