REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Official 2019 Garden Thread

1971snipe

Been picking muscadines grapes all week.  They'll all be for jelly.  But I've got a gallon of pear juice fermenting in a pail.  Is there a brewing thread around here somewhere?  

Mike da Carpenter

First time doing beans this year (green and wax),   Green beans are doing just ok, but taste great.  The wax beans are awful looking and taste.  Those plants go in the trash today.

The gypsy peppers have been on the plant for weeks, but just don’t seem like they are going to start ripening (stay green).  Had the same problem with tomatoes in the same location last year.  Might have to ad some fertilizer (carp and store bought granular) and will have to do some research.

Cucumbers are doing phenomenal and all my wife’s clients grab some on the way out.

Just because corn cost under $2 for 4 started plants, we tried it.  Funniest looking corn on the cob you ever saw and I will get pictures when we pull the next ones off.  Tastes great, and I’m just guessing it was the fertilizer, or lack there of, in the dirt.  My wife wants to do the entire area in corn next year and just forget about doing anything else.  In all honesty, I have no problem with that as it is simple to grow and will get eaten.  Not to mention, it looks pretty neat driving through the neighborhood and seeing the corn growing next to our home.

If anyone has a suggestion on how to get our peppers to turn color (red, orange and yellow), please let me know.  I’ve tried the paper bag “trick” and all that happened is they turned into leather skinned unripened peppers.

ddack

12 gallons of pear juice, 3 gallons of raw honey and a handful of champagne yeast and 11 months in a carboy makes 15 gallons of an earthy semi-dry pear alcohol I will call wine for lack of a better word'

Brad Eden

Not much new to report. I blanched and froze a bunch of wax beans and green beans for winter eating and pulled those plants yesterday. The cauliflower and broccoli are all eaten or blanched and frozen and plants are on compost heap. Cukes are winding down as Tomatoes are taking off. Just watching winter type squashes and pumpkins grow, and keeping fingers crossed on the small block of corn. I did resow a bed of spinach, lettuce and radish but they are slow going in heat of summer. They all might take off as temps cool. We'll see. We have a nice arrangement with JoAnn's boss at a local hospital. He didn't grow a garden this year but has laying hens. We exchange a bag of vegetables for a couple dozen eggs every week or two.

Spiller

We have a nice arrangement with JoAnn's boss at a local hospital. He didn't grow a garden this year but has laying hens. We exchange a bag of vegetables for a couple dozen eggs every week or two.

I haven't eaten a store egg in like 20 years, can't stand them after switching over to "real" eggs, so that sounds like a good deal as far as I am concerned.  

I am just giving away quite a bit of our garden's bounty without any bartering, but will hopefully be getting some good karma for it.  

BTW, I saw that you were evidently sneaking around my expanded archery zone in another post, what up with that hot spotting of Big City Bangoah? hahahahahahaha

gwponr

Tomatoes:  Do you can them or do you freeze them?

I have always canned some whole tomatoes but this year someone talked about bagging and freezing them, so I was going to try that this season. I don't eat a ton of tomatoes so 4-5 quarts last me all year so I  don't need a bunch. When I can them I usually have some issue with a jar or two when boiling them, either from not leaving enough head space in the jars or the lid to tight or to cool when put into the boiling water. I had the same thing this year when canning tomatillos, when the liquid in the jars expanded some of the tomatillo juice leaked out and the jar never sealed and the rest of my jars were sticky from the leakage. Yesterday evening I picked a 6 gallon pail of tomatoes, I roasted enough to fill a 5 quart pot with the roasted tomatoes that I am going to bag and freeze. I will try and can some also since I have never tried freezing them so not sure how they will keep. 

The black hungarian peppers I planted are just going off right now so I have ton's, they look like a jalapeño but are black. If I leave them on the plant they turn a deep red, these peppers aren't real hot but have great flavor, they are what I used to make the tomatillo salsa I canned last month. Purple tomatillos and the black peppers made a really flavorful salsa without a lot of heat.

Brad Eden

If JoAnn is motivated she will sometimes bottle (can?) tomatoes . I sometimes make basic tomato sauce and freeze. Then doctor it up for lasagna or spaghetti sauces. Depending on the haul, I may try freezing.

Spiller

We eat and grow a lot of tomatoes....

I say yes to trying freezing....don't know about the bagging option...

I have enough canned (as in Ball jars) tomato relish and canned tomatoes to last me for a year out just from last year and this year's crop is already coming in fast and heavy...I usually grow 4 dozen plants...I have Early Girls (which I'm phasing out), Moscow's (which I'm phasing in), Brandywines and Beefsteaks.....I don't do any cherries any more...I'm gonna try Mountain Magics next year which is a cocktail size....

A moose guide told me last fall to blanche them quick and then slip them from their skins and throw them in a blender and then freeze them in plastic tubs like the kind that potato salad comes in from the deli counter...I already do this with sauce, he says it's easier than canning and the tomatoes work better in sauces and stuff...sorta like opening up a canned of peeled crushed tomatoes 'cept you have to defrost them first.....

...I haven't done it yet but am planning on it this season....

gwponr
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

If JoAnn is motivated she will sometimes bottle (can?) tomatoes . I sometimes make basic tomato sauce and freeze. Then doctor it up for lasagna or spaghetti sauces. Depending on the haul, I may try freezing.

I make a two tomato sauces both done in the dutch oven on an open fire

1 is just tomatoes fresh basil salt

2 is tomatoes salt brown sugar some sweet italian peppers, basaltic vinegar fresh basil and chianti 

then I add meat and more fresh herbs during use

Treerooster

Did the final picking on my green beans. This is the easy pick...just pull the plants and bring them over in the shade. Just got tomatoes, peppers onions, and squash (zukes, cukes, & watermelon) left in the garden. 

The dogs know I'll throw them a bean once in a while.

614700150_GreenBeans2019readyforfinalpick1Resized.thumb.JPG.5bcda965a351dd25193dd82c81a25785.JPG

All picked...and now the dogs are full of beans. 😊

1537391354_GreanBeans2019pickedResized(1).thumb.JPG.0d3d82415cebe7692480428b57a3f0bd.JPG

This picking is all canned (froze 2 more pints too) and I am done with beans for the year.

504230320_GreanBeans2019finalcanningResized.thumb.JPG.82b7725e74c0169a6189f5313e33de6a.JPG

BBlizzard18

I’ve had my eye on this mater for a while, I had to weigh it.  Almost 2lbs.  The variety is called “Golden King of Siberia”.  BLTs tomorrow.   

8AF98A93-2A51-4FBA-94F8-DC292632931C.jpeg

Chief Paduke

367-BDDA6-D766-41-C4-8254-A82-A77-EC7-B6

106-FC74-D-A9-BA-4-D2-A-9-AAD-5-D9047-A5

Zinnias have been the star of the garden this year. 

Mike da Carpenter

Like I was saying a couple weeks ago...Our corn is flat out embarrassing to look at, but in a taste test, you couldn’t find a better one.  Albeit, they would have to be blindfolded and then they’d be wondering if they were all eating from the same cob.  HA!!  Probably best to keep my Chernobyl corn to ourselves.  I sent this picture to one of the guys at work just now, and his reply was “I’d of let it go another day or two”.   Gonna try more corn and better prepared soil next year.

C4A4A351-0452-4658-93F6-D12755755DBD.thumb.jpeg.16428c9edb655e6a8426e51f74f861e8.jpeg

Treerooster

Probably bugs eating the silk on that corn. Might look into that.

1971snipe

Picked muscadines grapes the past two weeks, in competition with the labs and racoons.  Everything is done now.  Okra isn't making much, and birds took over the fig tree.  Jelly is made, last of the jalapenos are put up, and we have one jar of pears remaining.  Some pear juice is fermenting in a jug but doesn't look too promising.  I experimented with a different yeast this year.  

IMG_20190820_080947482.jpg