REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
bennelli-banger

camry gas pedal feels strange

bennelli-banger

we have a 2012 camry that is a kids car; I drive it once in a while.  It was brought to my attention this winter that it doesn't accelerate the way it used to.  I drove it, and it seemed that the gas pedal lacked the distance from the initial contact to the point at which it can't be pushed down any further, if that makes sense.  If there used to be 3" of total distance it could move up and down, it feels like it is now half that  distance.  Do pedals move that way?  Mind you, I am not bothered that my son doesn't have the acceleration capability he used to, but in heavy traffic, it would be nice to have that pep again.  It is going to be seen by a mechanic, just curious if this situation has been experienced by anyone here???  Thanks.

Kansas Bound

Is the floor mat bunched up behind the pedal? Just trouble shooting the easy stuff.

bennelli-banger
15 minutes ago, Kansas Bound said:

Is the floor mat bunched up behind the pedal? Just trouble shooting the easy stuff.

anything is possible!  I will check when I see the car again...thanks much.

RookieEP

Toyota had a recall about that a ways back a floor mat could slide up under the pedal

bennelli-banger
On May 21, 2019 at 9:03 PM, RookieEP said:

Toyota had a recall about that a ways back a floor mat could slide up under the pedal

yes!  floor mat was in upside down!!!!  thick ridge on both sides of mat that is about 2" thick!

RookieEP

Kinda scary.  Glad it got fixed!

WPG Gizmo

They way Toyota fix the problem was to cut the bottom off the pedal

Brad Eden

My understanding is the problem with Toyotas was unexplained acceleration, causing people to drive through store fronts, etc. and it was found to be the mat. Never heard a lack of acceleration issue. 

Sudden acceleration in Toyota vehicles. ... The first major cause of unintended acceleration was found in March 2007, when an engineering analysis showed that unsecured all-weather mats had led to pedal entrapment and drivers accelerating up to 90 mph with decreased braking power.

bennelli-banger
On May 21, 2019 at 8:15 AM, Kansas Bound said:

thanks again for the thought....that solved it!

WI Outdoor Nut
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 3:38 PM, Brad Eden said:

My understanding is the problem with Toyotas was unexplained acceleration, causing people to drive through store fronts, etc. and it was found to be the mat. Never heard a lack of acceleration issue. 

Sudden acceleration in Toyota vehicles. ... The first major cause of unintended acceleration was found in March 2007, when an engineering analysis showed that unsecured all-weather mats had led to pedal entrapment and drivers accelerating up to 90 mph with decreased braking power.

decreased breaking power?

Yes, when your throttle is 100% open, I hope your car has decreased breaking power - jesh........