Name that snake

Without looking it up. One is sorta easy and one might throw ya off with the unusual pattern.

11234_resized.jpg

1234_resized.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• quailguy

• C.J.L.

• Tim Frazier

• erik meade

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's amazing to me how some very competent woodsmen are terrified of snakes.  A lot of it is socialization.  I was in a back swamp in Louisiana with a really great guide and I reached down in the swam

Ones a belt the other a hat band 

I think the first one is Improved cylinder, the second may be modified or improved modified.

Posted Images

I'm not that knowledgeable about snakes but based on the shape of their heads neither one appears to be a pit viper. I'm guessing the top snakes a king snake and the bottom's a gopher snake.

Steve

Birdcountry70

I only know Montana snakes but the top one looks like a blue racer and I have never seen the bottom one before.

Looks like a faded blue racer and no idea of bottom one. That one isn't found in the northeast I don't think. I have absolutely no aversion to snakes. Somehow that instinct was missing at birth. We don't have any venemous snakes where I live and have lived, maybe that's why. I've caught, handled and admired pretty much every species. 

Crazy Horse

I wonder if either of those snakes taste like chicken???  ;~)

Tim Frazier

Blue Racer and maybe a Bull Snake.  Racers are cool snakes but mean as hell, never had one that settled down like a Black Rat or Corn snake will.  They also do a great rattler imitation in the leaves!

Ones a belt the other a hat band 

44 minutes ago, Tim Frazier said:

They also do a great rattler imitation in the leaves!

They sure do.  That one was shaking his tail just like a rattler.  Beanie got a little snake aversion 101when that thing tried to bite his nose. Tob wanted nothing to do with it.

111222_resized.jpg

22 minutes ago, interlochen said:

That's a blue racer and an eastern hognose

Correct. Never seen a hognose with that pattern before.  Pretty snake.  Had a big garder snake getting his sun on in the road too last night.  It was a snakey day for sure.  

And no I didn't step on it's head.  They flare out their head to look bigger.  Play dead too.  

00190522_184306_resized.jpg

Looks like a Black Mamba and Fer de Lance to me. Better leave them both alone. 

Tim Frazier
5 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

Correct. Never seen a hognose with that pattern before.  Pretty snake.  Had a big garder snake getting his sun on in the road too last night.  It was a snakey day for sure.  

And no I didn't step on it's head.  They flare out their head to look bigger.  Play dead too.  

00190522_184306_resized.jpg

That's a great photo of a hognose flattening out.  As good as any I've seen.  I have kept snakes for years, since childhood, and I've never had the chance to see a Hognose in the wild.  Pretty cool.