REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
C.J.L.

Name that snake

NCgrouse

Im guessing Rat snake for #1, and corn snake for #2?

Big Al
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I also bought a red-tailed or common Boa Constrictor when I was in my late teens. "Isaac" was 16" long and grew to over 6' before I sold him some years later. He traveled with me to college at UMass Amherst and I hid him in my dorm room. There was a line down the hall on every feeding day. He ate live mice and eventually small rabbits and dead rats that I bought at the pet store. Dead rats because they can injure a snake before being swallowed.  And you have to keep buying bigger Aquarium type cages as they grow. After college with jobs and moving around I decided he was too much to deal with so I sold him. He was never aggressive, very docile actually.

I think Isaac might have retired to Florida and took up residence in the Everglades. 

walt lister

I'll name 'em---------Fred and Ralph.

C.J.L.
4 hours ago, quailguy said:

Blue racer and eastern hognose snakes. 

Where did you find them?

Buckley Michigan.  Hot spotting for snakes.  

quailguy
Just now, C.J.L. said:

Buckley Michigan.  Hot spotting for snakes.  

I used to find both of those snakes in east Texas. We had a great number if racers, blue and buttermilk. Hognosed snakes were not uncommon either.

erik meade
5 hours ago, OldSarge said:

Looks like a Black Mamba and Fer de Lance to me. Better leave them both alone. 

Exactly. 

erik meade
2 hours ago, Tim Frazier said:

I had a guy not talk to me for 10 years after doing that...It was a big Black Rat snake that was very docile but that didn't seem to matter!

Only 10

stripersonfly

I agree with the blue racer and the gopher snake, it does not look like a hog nose snake to me based on the head.

I have always felt that snakes were cool.  Never had a fear of them.   Caught my share of gartner snakes & milk snakes as a kid, and even a black rat snake once.  I let each of my sons have a pet snake, one is still with us, and albino corn snake, and it is probably 5 feet long now.  We donated the other one to a petting zoo when my son went to college and did not want to take care of the snake anymore.  I know snake haters are not going to believe this, but I am going to build on what Brad mentioned about snakes as pets.  Corn snakes make great pets.  First, they have been bred in captivity for so long that they have a huge variety of different colors and patterns that you can buy and are beautiful.  They are incredibly docile.  The snake has never even looked like it was going to bite.  They are easy to care for.  They need to be fed ~1/week.  You feed them frozen dead mice.  When you first buy a corn snake you usually get a juvenile that is about the size of a pencil.  You start with little baby mice called 'pinkies' and work up to immature mce called 'fuzzies' and then into 'hopper' mice and finally adult mice.  The mice are all dead and frozen.  Simply thaw and serve.    Aside from the 1/week feeding simply keep its water bowl filled.   Clean the cage once every 4 - 6 weeks.  If you are going to go away on vacation, no need to board it or find a kid to come feed it....it will be fine.  Fill up the water bowl and leave.  A fed snake can easily go a week or two between meals.  Even longer but I would not push it myself.    They are much less work than hamster, guinea pigs or fish.   One nice thing about corn snakes is the max out at 5-5' and a weight of maybe 3-4 lbs.  Boas & pythons get much much bigger. 

topdog1961
7 hours ago, WPG Gizmo said:

Ones a belt the other a hat band 

That’s a KY response right there. We know what to do with snakes. That.....or RUN. 

C.J.L.
1 hour ago, stripersonfly said:

I agree with the blue racer and the gopher snake, it does not look like a hog nose snake to me based on the head.

Welp, that is a hog snake.  If you google hog snakes on MA one of the first pics you see will be of one that looks just like the one I came across yesterday. Agree, it wasn't typical and I never seen one like it before.

Birdcountry70
7 hours ago, Tim Frazier said:

To me snakes are like mushrooms.  I only mess with what I absolutely know and if I have a question, I just leave it alone.

Good advice Tim! If you don't know it don't touch it, that's what I always say. People who are uneducated in species identification should keep their distance. Here is a picture of a nice adult garter snake that was right next to my truck at one of my favorite sharptail spots.

IMG_20150902_154151.jpg

SelbyLowndes

Uh Oh...SelbyLowndes

Marc Ret
46 minutes ago, Birdcountry70 said:

Good advice Tim! If you don't know it don't touch it, that's what I always say. People who are uneducated in species identification should keep their distance. Here is a picture of a nice adult garter snake that was right next to my truck at one of my favorite sharptail spots.

IMG_20150902_154151.jpg

That poor garter snake, looks like the tip of his tail got stuck in an egg slicer. 

Marc Ret
10 hours ago, OldSarge said:

Looks like a Black Mamba and Fer de Lance to me. Better leave them both alone. 

I had two encounters with Mambas when I hunted in Zimbabwe and a good friend had a "unique" Mamba experience in the kitchen of the place he was staying while hunting Namibia. Those damn things will definitely put a pucker in your backside. 

Chief Paduke

I came out of the quail pen the other day, and had a black racer make two charges at me with his head up in the air like a Mamba.