REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
C.J.L.

Name that snake

Grouse Gunner

Ran into this guy in central PA turkey hunting a few weeks ago.  Didn't even rattle.  Caught movement while slowly walking.

rattler.jpg

gwponr

I used to rent a house that butted up to a canyon, one room was an office where my secretary worked out of. One day I was standing in the hall talking with her while holding the cord attached to the pull down ladder access to the attic. I was pulling on it when a 5 ft long gopher snake fell out of the attic onto my shoulder, I grabbed it pulled the attic door down enough to throw him back up there. My secretary is freaking out at me tossing it back up there, I told her "he is up there for a reason, when his food source is gone he will find his own way out". 

erik meade

This one time I saw a snake. Not sure what kind...  it was a snake.  And I didn’t kill it or anything.  I just let it be.  I am proud of myself.  

erik meade

The aforementioned snake was in a box or cage in Tim Frazier’s front yard.  I really didn’t look all that closely to be honest. But the point is, I did not kill it.

Tjasper
On 5/23/2019 at 5:50 PM, Grouse Gunner said:

Ran into this guy in central PA turkey hunting a few weeks ago.  Didn't even rattle.  Caught movement while slowly walking.

rattler.jpg

Geez...I grew up on the Ohio river near Cincinnati. Spent a ton of time in the woods and never saw a timber rattler. Now I have lived in AZ for 20 years. Have seen a bunch of rattlers. I have never heard one rattle. I haven't even seen one coiled. They are always just sunning or crawling along in that slow deliberate rattlesnake way. I tend to give them a pretty wide berth though.

Alaskan Swamp Collie
2 hours ago, erik meade said:

This one time I saw a snake. Not sure what kind...  it was a snake.  And I didn’t kill it or anything.  I just let it be.  I am proud of myself.  

You're braver than me.

quailguy
On 5/23/2019 at 5:57 PM, Birdcountry70 said:

Good advice Tim! If you don't know it don't touch it, that's what I always say. People who are uneducated in species identification should keep their distance. Here is a picture of a nice adult garter snake that was right next to my truck at one of my favorite sharptail spots.

IMG_20150902_154151.jpg

DAMN, he has a real problem; he looks just like a prairie rattler.

1971snipe
On 5/23/2019 at 1:03 PM, quailguy said:

I used to find both of those snakes in east Texas. We had a great number if racers, blue and buttermilk. Hognosed snakes were not uncommon either.

+1, but hognoses not too often.  And they don't call them racers, racers, for nothing.  They're incredibly fast.   

I've saved the lives of various rat snakes several times, from a neighbor that wanted me to kill them.  I just caught and relocated them, to my neighbors satisfaction, although she said that she'd forgive me if I killed it, and God would too.  They sure like hanging out at her place for some reason.  But she gets upset if I suggest a few reasons.  

Water mocassins, I hate, and if I'm able to I'll kill it.  Rattlers, pretty-much the same.  

SelbyLowndes
On 5/23/2019 at 7:02 PM, Chief Paduke said:

I came out of the quail pen the other day, and had a black racer make two charges at me with his head up in the air like a Mamba. 

Do you have a quail pen in Zimbabwe?...SelbyLowndes

Chief Paduke
1 hour ago, SelbyLowndes said:

Do you have a quail pen in Zimbabwe?...SelbyLowndes

The closest I ever was to Rhodesia was a 1950's-1960's era National Geographic out in Kevin White's garage. More than likely we were not searching for Black Mambas.

quailguy
On 5/23/2019 at 7:02 PM, Chief Paduke said:

I came out of the quail pen the other day, and had a black racer make two charges at me with his head up in the air like a Mamba. 

Well, the SoB is not a mamba so give him a swift kick or slap with a hoe handle to remind him of his place in this world.  

Wildcat
On 5/23/2019 at 9:40 AM, Tim Frazier said:

I had a guy not talk to me for 10 years after doing that...It was a big Black Rat snake that was very docile but that didn't seem to matter!

haha, that same guy put a small alligator (3 footer) in my sleeping bag and it caused me more damage than that damn snake I put in his bag.

Spin

First one isn't a blue racer. It's a common water snake. They were common as dirt in Illinois. They are bad tempered however and will bite. 

The teeth aren't all that large so they really can't do any true harm. 

The second an Eastern Hog Nosed snake, freshly shed of it's old skin. They aren't the only snake that flattens out or spreads it's neck into a Hood, but outside the cobras they put on the best show. If that doesn't scare you off they may strike only they don't open their mouths. Failing with that and they may roll over onto their backs and play dead.

They have enlarged rear teeth (Non Venomous) to puncture the lungs of toads, a principle prey who inflate themselves to prevent other snakes from swallowing them.

What I missed was the decidedly up turned snout that lends them their name.

Brad I've never seen one so vividly colored or marked in the wild either.

C.J.L.
22 minutes ago, Spin said:

First one isn't a blue racer. It's a common water snake. They were common as dirt in Illinois. They are bad tempered however and will bite. 

Nope. Blue Racer

Spin
22 minutes ago, C.J.L. said:

Nope. Blue Racer

Yep I apologize,  I don't know why but I was picturing it as being heavier bodied and without the white under side of the jaw running up onto the tip of the nose.

I'd be better off actually looking directly at the picture of the critter in question before opening my mouth. I'll lean one of these days. Any how here's a good  image

link:       

Blue Racer

Blue Racer (Coluber constrictor foxil) found in northern two-thirds of the state.

Blue Racer (Coluber constrictor foxil) found in northern two-thirds of the state. | Source