REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
GB Jack

Anyone else collect watches on here?

spring
1 hour ago, salmontogue said:

My daily wear watch.  An Omega Seamaster Professional Chronometer, about 25 years old.  The case and band are titanium.  It was a gift from my parents when I passed the USCG masters exam.

I also have a gold Universal Geneve and a Rolex that were my dad's.  He brought them back from Switzerland and the end of WW2.  After many years, the Rolex needs a new balance wheel.  If anyone knows a source I would be most appreciative.

My aunt and uncle gave me a gold Seiko pilots watch when I passed the FAA twin engine commercial licensing exam.

IMG_7420.JPG

My weekend watch; it has been with me on a lot adventures over about the same time you’ve had yours. 

A tale about mine is that somehow I lost it about 2 years ago at my farm. Looked and looked and couldn’t find it. Then one day about a year after it was gone, my son showed up with it. He had found it on a farm road while coming in from deer hunting. I guess it fell out of my pocket or who knows what, but the fact that it lived outside for a year, may have been driven over by trucks or tractors, didn’t impact it all. It’s Friday, and as usual, I’m wearing it right now. 

328A9CFB-75B1-4D5A-9315-2A8996A9A7E6.jpeg

DennisMcFeely

I've had lots of watches come and go over the years but my prized possessions are my maternal grandfather's pocketwatch and my paternal grandfather's wristwatch.  These will be passed down when the time comes.

POCKETWATCH.jpg

OMEGA.jpg

steveziv

That SMP Chronograph was big and titanium before big and titanium were cool.  Yeah, had one circa 2000.

I always thought this SMP would be the ultimate big blinged out watch if I ever found myself living on a yacht in Miami.

That never happened but I've been through dozens of Seamaster Pro's; Bonds, AC, Non-AC, GMT white & black, Chrono, Sword, Ti, 120m, multiples, repeats. 

Like I said, in remission.  In fact, how do I hide this thread?

om400peg01.jpg

DennisMcFeely

The Seamaster 300m references are one of the most successful lines in Omega’s history.  I wear this one 

E789B261-1464-4EE9-9DAF-34EE37C55855.jpeg

dogrunner

Damn mines only good to 50 meters, I may need to up grade for my next free dive. 

51A2CDA9-73D5-4BC3-B0B3-C60197E04327.jpeg

GB Jack
On 5/30/2019 at 11:04 AM, DennisMcFeely said:

Yes, I've been collecting for more than thirty years.  I like watches of all types and price points.

Agreed 

GB Jack
On 5/30/2019 at 11:21 AM, Novicecamper said:

I like mechanical watches, got an oris that I never wear, also a marathon general purpose benrus movement, only 600 made. It’s my fav, wear it everywhere but work.

Oris make a a fantastic watch , they are growing leaps and bounds after the artelier lunch and their new launch of the pro pilot , great pieces 

GB Jack
9 hours ago, spring said:

My weekend watch; it has been with me on a lot adventures over about the same time you’ve had yours. 

A tale about mine is that somehow I lost it about 2 years ago at my farm. Looked and looked and couldn’t find it. Then one day about a year after it was gone, my son showed up with it. He had found it on a farm road while coming in from deer hunting. I guess it fell out of my pocket or who knows what, but the fact that it lived outside for a year, may have been driven over by trucks or tractors, didn’t impact it all. It’s Friday, and as usual, I’m wearing it right now. 

328A9CFB-75B1-4D5A-9315-2A8996A9A7E6.jpeg

I own omega as well, very fond of them 

GB Jack
7 hours ago, dogrunner said:

Damn mines only good to 50 meters, I may need to up grade for my next free dive. 

An icon!!

GB Jack
7 hours ago, DennisMcFeely said:

The Seamaster 300m references are one of the most successful lines in Omega’s history.  I wear this one 

E789B261-1464-4EE9-9DAF-34EE37C55855.jpeg

I have a few omegas , love them, have been one of the most reliable and least repaired brands I own. Love em . 

GB Jack
7 hours ago, steveziv said:

That SMP Chronograph was big and titanium before big and titanium were cool.  Yeah, had one circa 2000.

I always thought this SMP would be the ultimate big blinged out watch if I ever found myself living on a yacht in Miami.

That never happened but I've been through dozens of Seamaster Pro's; Bonds, AC, Non-AC, GMT white & black, Chrono, Sword, Ti, 120m, multiples, repeats. 

Like I said, in remission.  In fact, how do I hide this thread?

om400peg01.jpg

Hahaha they are fantastic pieces . Have one on as we speak ;)

Marc Ret

My father was a collector of what I guess you could call "blue collar" pocket watches. Pictured is a clock he made with some of them. There's a few Walthams, Elgins and Hamiltons hanging there along with a few dime store pocket watches. 

I have a Mickey Mouse Hamilton wristwatch I need to dig out of the safe. Certainly not a monetarily high value watch but plenty of sentimental value. It was a gift to me from my Aunt Nancy when I was just a tot. She worked at the Hamilton Watch Co in Lancaster, PA most of her adult life and was there till it's end in the U.S.

image.jpeg

DennisMcFeely

That’s very cool.  My grandfather took watchmaking classes and serviced his own pocket watch. 

DennisMcFeely
28 minutes ago, GB Jack said:

of the pro pilot 

Yes. The big crown and Aquis lines are tremendous watches for the money IMO 

Brad Eden
17 hours ago, dogrunner said:

When I wore a watch, it was this one or close to it. Cheap Timex Expedition indiglo. Seemed to last forever. If I remember right when you pushed the crown the face would illuminate. Handy at night or in the dark.