REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
GB Jack

Anyone else collect watches on here?

GB Jack
1 hour ago, spring said:

Calatravas are wonderful pieces, in fact the first PP that I ever saw; stopped me in my tracks. This is a 3970 i’ve had for a while. 

Well, i can honestly say I saw one 3970 and I can say it’s probably the most beautiful  watch I’ve ever personally seen. Congrats on that piece .

MAArcher

For the low low price of $30 million, why not add it to your collection?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Antoinette_(watch)

DennisMcFeely
On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:21 PM, spring said:

For those that can appreciate a different point of view, here’s The Far Side....😀

0C310247-DA4C-465A-9C76-EBCE30DA0478.jpeg

That's beautiful

gunsrus
45 minutes ago, DennisMcFeely said:

That's beautiful

Really ?????

1971snipe
On 6/3/2019 at 5:21 PM, spring said:

For those that can appreciate a different point of view, here’s The Far Side....😀

0C310247-DA4C-465A-9C76-EBCE30DA0478.jpeg

So, what time is being displayed?  

Zoli 16ga.

i believe thats the back of the watch.

steveziv

For those who like a peek under the hood.  My FIL bought this one in the Bahamas many years ago.

seamasterwbfl002.jpg

P1010047.jpg

And as long as I'm in PB, here's a pristine vintage Heuer LM5100 chrono I should have hung onto.

P1011044.jpg

And this Broad Arrow for that matter.

BADial.jpg

Craig Doherty
On 5/28/2019 at 9:47 PM, grouse28 said:

200919EC-7861-4520-877D-0D44527A7A76.jpegOr a rock on a string.

Cool. but I'd rather see the bird knife collection!

spring

I've enjoyed my Omega Seamaster for 20 years or so (picture posted earlier), but there's a reason I got it besides just keeping time.  When I first got out of college and before I began my career, I loaded my backpack and went to Europe on a "how long can I go before I run out of money" trip. The trip lasted about 6 weeks, but while in Zurich, I met a friend of my dad's from there and he showed me around for a day or so, and the impressionable me saw some of the best watch makers located around the Bahnhofstrasse; really nice fellow. He wore an Omega.  As I was leaving to head on the rest of my trip and soon beginning of what has now been 38 years with the same company, he said, "One day when I come to America to see you, I'll ask you to send your driver to the airport to pick me up."  Well, I've never gotten the driver, but I did get the Omega. 

GB Jack
30 minutes ago, spring said:

I've enjoyed my Omega Seamaster for 20 years or so (picture posted earlier), but there's a reason I got it besides just keeping time.  When I first got out of college and before I began my career, I loaded my backpack and went to Europe on a "how long can I go before I run out of money" trip. The trip lasted about 6 weeks, but while in Zurich, I met a friend of my dad's from there and he showed me around for a day or so, and the impressionable me saw some of the best watch makers located around the Bahnhofstrasse; really nice fellow. He wore an Omega.  As I was leaving to head on the rest of my trip and soon beginning of what has now been 38 years with the same company, he said, "One day when I come to America to see you, I'll ask you to send your driver to the airport to pick me up."  Well, I've never gotten the driver, but I did get the Omega. 

Great story, that’s why I like them all, Malay as many memories with each watch as the piece itself 

CheckCord

What is the drive to collect watches?  This isn't a snarky question so please don't take it that way.  Id be considered a Gen X'er and It's never been anything I've been exposed to. 

1971snipe
15 hours ago, Zoli 16ga. said:

i believe thats the back of the watch.

Ha!, thanks.  I should have placed a smiley face after my comment.  Still, that'd be a pretty cool watch to wear.  I was guessing that the time was 10:15.  

steveziv
2 hours ago, CheckCord said:

What is the drive to collect watches?  This isn't a snarky question so please don't take it that way.  Id be considered a Gen X'er and It's never been anything I've been exposed to. 

Well for one thing, aside from a wedding band, it the only piece of jewelry many men would consider wearing.  As such, they are an opportunity to express one's personal style.

For me there's an admiration of the dial, sub-dials, hands, windows, bezels, movement all being encapsulated in that little disc sealed behind a crystal.  I've sometimes thought I might be happy collecting watch dials.  I recognize and admire the details in all of these components.

That's why someone might like a watch, the collecting aspect is universal I suppose.  You have one you like, you see another one you like, now you have two, etc.

spring
2 hours ago, CheckCord said:

Plenty of psychology to explore when trying to answer that question. Of course we ask the same thing to a guy that appreciates and loves English shotguns, particularly when you could argue that you can just as easily take a quail with a budget gun bought at Wal-Mart.  And while that's true, how do you explain to someone the joy of walking into the field with a classic side-by-side, a gun you've admired for years, and then ultimately rewarded yourself with it as you brought it home?   What is the drive to own such a thing? Rarity? Hand-crafted? Traditional and fine-tuned design?  Mass production of some things has its appeal and benefits, but for some, just the opposite does as well.

As for watches, something you can enjoy every single day, the psychology and rationale to own or invest in one is quite similar.  You can certainly find watches more accurate, particularly the digital ones, you can certainly find them dramatically cheaper, and for that matter, just like a shotgun, many people don't need them at all. But when you look under the hood and see the results of centuries of craftsmanship compiled in a tiny case and learn what some of these watches, can do, it's almost nothing short of staggering.  Not only can they keep time, but tracking the moon, leap years, being a stop-watch, the day of the week, and adjusting all of this precisely with only hand-crafted gears and springs that you wind (either by hand or through your daily movement) and interact with every morning brings with it an admiration and romanticism that electronic pulses and microchips can’t quite match.

Here are some reasons some people like high quality watches that covers things much better than I can: 

1. A timeless piece

Let’s face it. A unique watch looks more authentic than a mass-produced piece. In fact, many people are prepared to pay more for a one-of-its-kind watch simply because there are fewer chances of meeting someone wearing a similar piece.

Other than its good looks, it also has a timeless appeal. Nevertheless, you still need to be cautious to avoid being duped or buying a fake piece thinking it’s genuine.

2. Uniqueness

Did you know that many men will simply buy a watch because it’s very unique? Yes, it may not be a big brand or very expensive.

But the fact that it’s only him who owns such a piece will drive a man to purchase a watch. It may be only one of its kind because only a few pieces were made or it’s an antique or classic piece.

3. Admiration and Pride

Men have always loved watches. In fact, many are quite obsessed.

They will feel funny not wearing one or will always glance at the wrist even when not wearing a watch.

A majority love the attention they get from fellow men and compliments from other people about a watch. In fact, it can be a nice conversation starter in many situations.

4. Sentimental Value

Watches that are unique aren’t just loved for their rarity or exclusivity, but are also adored by many people for the sentimental value.

Yes, the watch may not cost an “arm and leg,” But the sentimental value will be great.

Many a collector will pay a high price for a rare watch even though it may not be very high quality. Actually, many will forgo a more expensive modern piece in favor of the unique piece.

5. Good value for money

You will come across different types of watches. Some are pretty affordable and costs a few hundred dollars while some are quite expensive will set you back thousands of dollars.

However, like other things, the value or price of the item declines over time due to aging, wear and tear. But this isn’t the case with a rare watch. Actually, the price may increase due to its rare nature.

6. Sense of achievement

Men collect unique watches in order to satisfy their sense of achievement. Just like kids who love collecting toys, stamps, cards and other things, men feel a sense of satisfaction if they own a unique piece.

Many will take extra care of it so as not to mess it and some will wear it only on rare occasion. 

7. Obsession

Truth be told. Many men are obsessed with wrist watches. They can never leave the home without one, claim to feel odd if not wearing their favorite piece, and some will even take insurance for the timepiece.

This fascination becomes stronger if the watch is unique. Firstly, very few people own it. Secondly, it has a high sentimental value. Thirdly, it makes them stand out. I mean, common is boring, right?

8. Fashion Statement

Men have always used watches as a fashion statement. They will try to match their dressing with the watch.

Will wear shirts that allow other people to see the watch, and some will do anything for you to notice the watch. A leading brand or expensive watch will get lots of attention but not compared to a one-of-its-kind watch.

A man with a unique piece will stand out and be more admired than one wearing a more expensive but common watch.

9. High Craftsmanship

If you are keen on wrist watches, you may already know that unique pieces are usually higher quality than the mass-produced pieces.

This is even more noticeable today with so many cheap and fake watches finding their way into the market.

One reason that may make a watch unique is that it was crafted by a master watchmaker.

It had to go through many checks, features top grade materials, and is also very precise.

It takes much longer to produce a handmade watch compared to a machine-made piece.

10. Collector’s Pride

Collecting watches is a hobby for many men and the less-common the piece the more appreciated or valued it is.

Majority of men owing several pieces do so because of the satisfaction and sense of achievement it gives them.

Many will spend lots of time and money researching and searching for unique and rare pieces.

Conclusion

There go the reasons why men like to collect unique watches. There are those who want to stand out or to increase their collection, others are drawn to the sentimental value, while some like the high-quality craftsmanship.

You may also do it because of the great value for money, sense of achievement, as a fashion statement and much more.

Whichever the reason, collecting unique watches make you proud and also allow you to feel good adorning the timeless piece.

https://supwatch.com/blog/top-10-reasons-why-men-like-to-collect-unique-watches

Don Steese
3 minutes ago, spring said:

Plenty of psychology to explore when trying to answer that question. Of course we ask the same thing to a guy that appreciates and loves English shotguns, particularly when you could argue that you can just as easily take a quail with a budget gun bought at Wal-Mart.  And while that's true, how do you explain to someone the joy of walking into the field with a classic side-by-side, a gun you've admired for years, and then ultimately rewarded yourself with it as you brought it home?   What is the drive to own such a thing? Rarity? Hand-crafted? Traditional and fine-tuned design?  Mass production of some things has its appeal and benefits, but for some, just the opposite does as well.

As for watches, something you can enjoy every single day, the psychology and rationale to own or invest in one is quite similar.  You can certainly find watches more accurate, particularly the digital ones, you can certainly find them dramatically cheaper, and for that matter, just like a shotgun, many people don't need them at all. But when you look under the hood and see the results of centuries of craftsmanship compiled in a tiny case and learn what some of these watches, can do, it's almost nothing short of staggering.  Not only can they keep time, but tracking the moon, leap years, being a stop-watch, the day of the week, and adjusting all of this precisely with only hand-crafted gears and springs that you wind and interact with every morning brings with it an admiration and romanticism that electronic pulses and microchips can’t quite match.

Here are some reasons some people like high quality watches that covers things much better than I can: 

1. A timeless piece

Let’s face it. A unique watch looks more authentic than a mass-produced piece. In fact, many people are prepared to pay more for a one-of-its-kind watch simply because there are fewer chances of meeting someone wearing a similar piece.

Other than its good looks, it also has a timeless appeal. Nevertheless, you still need to be cautious to avoid being duped or buying a fake piece thinking it’s genuine.

2. Uniqueness

Did you know that many men will simply buy a watch because it’s very unique? Yes, it may not be a big brand or very expensive.

But the fact that it’s only him who owns such a piece will drive a man to purchase a watch. It may be only one of its kind because only a few pieces were made or it’s an antique or classic piece.

3. Admiration and Pride

Men have always loved watches. In fact, many are quite obsessed.

They will feel funny not wearing one or will always glance at the wrist even when not wearing a watch.

A majority love the attention they get from fellow men and compliments from other people about a watch. In fact, it can be a nice conversation starter in many situations.

4. Sentimental Value

Watches that are unique aren’t just loved for their rarity or exclusivity, but are also adored by many people for the sentimental value.

Yes, the watch may not cost an “arm and leg,” But the sentimental value will be great.

Many a collector will pay a high price for a rare watch even though it may not be very high quality. Actually, many will forgo a more expensive modern piece in favor of the unique piece.

5. Good value for money

You will come across different types of watches. Some are pretty affordable and costs a few hundred dollars while some are quite expensive will set you back thousands of dollars.

However, like other things, the value or price of the item declines over time due to aging, wear and tear. But this isn’t the case with a rare watch. Actually, the price may increase due to its rare nature.

6. Sense of achievement

Men collect unique watches in order to satisfy their sense of achievement. Just like kids who love collecting toys, stamps, cards and other things, men feel a sense of satisfaction if they own a unique piece.

Many will take extra care of it so as not to mess it and some will wear it only on rare occasion. 

7. Obsession

Truth be told. Many men are obsessed with wrist watches. They can never leave the home without one, claim to feel odd if not wearing their favorite piece, and some will even take insurance for the timepiece.

This fascination becomes stronger if the watch is unique. Firstly, very few people own it. Secondly, it has a high sentimental value. Thirdly, it makes them stand out. I mean, common is boring, right?

8. Fashion Statement

Men have always used watches as a fashion statement. They will try to match their dressing with the watch.

Will wear shirts that allow other people to see the watch, and some will do anything for you to notice the watch. A leading brand or expensive watch will get lots of attention but not compared to a one-of-its-kind watch.

A man with a unique piece will stand out and be more admired than one wearing a more expensive but common watch.

9. High Craftsmanship

If you are keen on wrist watches, you may already know that unique pieces are usually higher quality than the mass-produced pieces.

This is even more noticeable today with so many cheap and fake watches finding their way into the market.

One reason that may make a watch unique is that it was crafted by a master watchmaker.

It had to go through many checks, features top grade materials, and is also very precise.

It takes much longer to produce a handmade watch compared to a machine-made piece.

10. Collector’s Pride

Collecting watches is a hobby for many men and the less-common the piece the more appreciated or valued it is.

Majority of men owing several pieces do so because of the satisfaction and sense of achievement it gives them.

Many will spend lots of time and money researching and searching for unique and rare pieces.

Conclusion

There go the reasons why men like to collect unique watches. There are those who want to stand out or to increase their collection, others are drawn to the sentimental value, while some like the high-quality craftsmanship.

You may also do it because of the great value for money, sense of achievement, as a fashion statement and much more.

Whichever the reason, collecting unique watches make you proud and also allow you to feel good adorning the timeless piece.

https://supwatch.com/blog/top-10-reasons-why-men-like-to-collect-unique-watches

It may sound quaint but before everybody had a damn cell phone surgically implanted, we found watches to be quite handy for determining what the time was !