REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Smoker Tips, Techniques & Recipes

Brad Eden

I thought this might make for a resourceful Topic.

I'll start.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recipes for smoking a 1-2 pound venison roast? Marinate, dry rub, type of wood, temp, time etc., etc.?

sharptail grouse

Thanks Brad. I've been thinking about getting a smoker too. I would think smoked huns would be pretty delicious.

Brad Eden
3 minutes ago, sharptail grouse said:

Thanks Brad. I've been thinking about getting a smoker too. I would think smoked huns would be pretty delicious.

No doubt. I didn't realize it but I found a final ruffed grouse in the freezer from last season. I'm thinking it might be added to the smoker.

ruffneck

Deer can be tricky due to lack of fat. It will dry out fast . 

bigdog MN

1-2# is not very large, its not going to take long in the #1. I would set temp for 200 or 220 and check after 1.5-2 hours for internal temp unless you got a remote thermometer yet. I would not go over 140 for internal but I like more rare meats.  Add a pan of water to bottom of smoker, I use a disposable foil backing loaf pan from the grocery, about 2" x 6" or so. it fits between smoke box and side wall.

Not sure how grouse will smoke up being such a dry meat, people have had lots of trouble with skinless chicken breasts. maybe do a bacon wrap.

I did two 5# beef roasts, smoker at 225 and internal temp to 185 (I was shredding them so needed higher internal temp than for a prime rib). They were well done after 4-5 hours.

SODAKer

With venison I'd wrap in bacon and roast over apple wood.

Not venison roast, but taking a bone-in or boneless rib-eye roast and smoking with applewood at 225 is killer. 

Brad Eden

I'm thinking I'll rub the rear quarter round roast, and wrap the neck roast in bacon. (Both small in the 1.5lb range.) Add a water pan for moisture and leterrip at around 200° -225° for a few hrs, using some cherry wood that arrived today compliments of bigdog MN. I'll report back. I need to get a meat thermometer for sure. Just winging it right now.

WPG Gizmo

Get a good thermometer like this one Thermo pro it give you both the food temps and the pit temps both are important dont go by the gauge on the smoker they can be way off

Also get a good instant read thermometer like this one from Thermoworks it is expensive but it will read air temps it is that good https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4

Brad Eden

IMG_1100.JPG

Boy oh boy...the Smoker is going down in the "Why did I wait this long to get this"'category.

About 1.25lb venison quarter round roast from last falls Muzzleloader Doe. Generously coated with Rib Rack "Original" Dry Rub. Loosely wrapped in thick bacon. About 6 ounces of dry Cherry wood chunks split to smaller pieces. Smoked and cooked for about 2.5 hours at 225°. Turned down temp to 200° the last hour. Tender, delicious almost Brisket like in flavor. 

Pork of some sort next.

terrym

Son of a B....., I don’t have one of those damned smokers in my fun budget this summer. Please stop with the pictures. 😳

dogrunner

Looks good, one tip don't burn your meat, pork is a great choice. 

garyRI
On 6/6/2019 at 2:50 PM, bigdog MN said:

1-2# is not very large, its not going to take long in the #1. I would set temp for 200 or 220 and check after 1.5-2 hours for internal temp unless you got a remote thermometer yet. I would not go over 140 for internal but I like more rare meats.  Add a pan of water to bottom of smoker, I use a disposable foil backing loaf pan from the grocery, about 2" x 6" or so. it fits between smoke box and side wall.

Agree here but being so lean I would never smoke venison.

Brad Eden
Just now, garyRI said:

Agree here but being so lean I would never smoke venison.

Trust me it works. I put a pan of water in Smoker and with the wrapped bacon, and only 2.5 hrs cook time, the juices were running when cut warm. I'll do it again, but I think I'm out of roasts.

Brad Eden

OK. The store didn't have any pork or beef ribs on bone so I bought a package of bonesless pork ribs. Sacrilege I know, but am still experimenting. Again, any thoughts on rub, marinate, cooking time, wood type temp etc., etc?