REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Smoker Tips, Techniques & Recipes

Snipeaholic

B767F77D-493E-44B0-AE28-DF7BA1134751.thumb.jpeg.b8a5f9934490d1080a3c205573fd6750.jpeg

Spin
On 9/30/2020 at 9:39 AM, molliesmaster said:

I have a pitboss smoker and an Akorn kettle.     I like the akorn better but the pitboss makes life easier if you don't have time to babysit through the cooking process. 

True but if you feel OK about spending the cash there are a few automated and semi auto add on systems that work well and make" low and slow" a whole lot easier.

Scar

I've smoked a couple cabbage heads this summer and really enjoyed them.  Here's how I've been doing it.

1 medium head of green cabbage cored

stuff hole with butter

wrap bacon over top of cabbage dust generously with a dry rub of your choice and place in pan large enough to hold all the liquid created 

pour a bottle of stout style beer in pan.

wrap foil loosely over everything and puncture foil with a fork in several places.

Smoke with your wood of choice for 3 hours (give or take) at 225.  Once cabbage is soft remove from smoker and cut up in pan with juices.

cabbage.jpg

cab2.jpg

dogrunner
46 minutes ago, Scar said:

I've smoked a couple cabbage heads this summer and really enjoyed them.  Here's how I've been doing it.

1 medium head of green cabbage cored

stuff hole with butter

wrap bacon over top of cabbage dust generously with a dry rub of your choice and place in pan large enough to hold all the liquid created 

pour a bottle of stout style beer in pan.

wrap foil loosely over everything and puncture foil with a fork in several places.

Smoke with your wood of choice for 3 hours (give or take) at 225.  Once cabbage is soft remove from smoker and cut up in pan with juices.

cabbage.jpg

cab2.jpg

I thought after 3 hrs you would just throw the cabbage 🥬 out and eat the bacon 🥓 and have more beer 🍺 

Scar
2 hours ago, dogrunner said:

I thought after 3 hrs you would just throw the cabbage 🥬 out and eat the bacon 🥓 and have more beer 🍺 

You'll be surprised how long it takes a head of cabbage to cook down.  It's like a brisket but healthier (only by a bit).