Your Whitetail Buck Preference?

Weight or Rack  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What your preference?

• 200 lb Whitetail buck with 100 inches of antler.
    • 100 lb Whitetail buck with 200 inches of antler.
    • Spike Horn.

Option three for me is a nice mature dark stained wide, tall and heavy beamed Mule deer buck. I can run a grinder and jerk a lot of meat if need be.

There is no harder to find trophy than a big buck mule deer free ranging the mountain ranges in the northern Rockies. 

I might shoot another whitetail buck in the right place at the right time. A couple years ago I had a five point (western count) whitetail come within twenty yards while watching a trail an elk herd was using to get to a hay meadow. He was fairly tall and wide but the antlers weren't very heavy. I debated for a good ten minutes while he and I sized each other up. Then as I decided maybe I should shoot him a spike whitetail walked up. Between the two of them I couldn't move a muscle without getting busted. It ended up being an uneventful day for all of us.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sharptail grouse

• Brad Eden

• garyRI

• kgb

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After 20+ years?  I'll take any buck and call it a trophy--to perseverance if nothing else.

If it were up to me I'd shoot yearling deer every time with an occasional "decent" buck just so I still feel manly!  Our yearling deer are usually 100lbs and there isn't a piece of meat on them that n

This is the smallest of the three bucks I shot last year. Got it on public land in MA and they require all bucks to be checked in. Weighed 156# and gross green scored 120.  I do not "get" comment

Posted Images

Best I could do was 235 lbs dressed with a 178 inch rack I need something bigger for it to be a trophy so if it is brown it is down that is the group I am in

sharptail grouse
4 hours ago, WPG Gizmo said:

Best I could do was 235 lbs dressed with a 178 inch rack I need something bigger for it to be a trophy so if it is brown it is down that is the group I am in

What planet do you live on where a 178 inch rack is not a trophy? And I'll speak for Brad and ask you where a 235 pound dressed buck is not a trophy. .....at least in Maine.

sharptail grouse
11 hours ago, Felix said:

I'll answer honestly. (Thought that might be a refreshing change)

If a 200 inch buck shows up, I'M SHOOTING IT!   That's huge.  I would gladly eat beef the for a whole year for a 200 incher.

Thank you for being honest!😁

I usually will be all in on this type thread however the only deer I won't shoot at is one of those old long nosed does......  Any other deer presentation would be decided at the moment.

I voted for the spike, in TX deer is king so to get a place with good genetics you have to pay out the wazoo. I can show you lease adds for deer where they are asking $10K for deer season. Quail hunting ruined me for deer hunting

The 200 inch without a doubt

That would leave me with 11 more tags for meat down here...

As mentioned this Poll is for kicks and giggles mostly. You can't fully cover all the bases with a Poll directed at people from all over the country. All highly regional like most everything. Regardless, so far The Poll results indicate most like a lot of meat over a lot of bone. So far.

Wouldn't pass up a trophy, got a few on the wall, but since I have to drag them out myself I much prefer a Spike or Forkhorn. 

31 minutes ago, WMassGriff said:

Wouldn't pass up a trophy, got a few on the wall, but since I have to drag them out myself I much prefer a Spike or Forkhorn. 

That's my take, who is doing the dragging and under what conditions?  I shoot deer because they are tasty.  Antlers from the bucks are sitting on shelves in the garage.

Birdcountry70

A venison steak will be digested and flushed the next day but antlers are forever.😛. I love the challenge of hunting for mature bucks.  Besides, we own cattle so usually have plenty in the freezer. If not, there are multiple doe tags available. Honestly  I hate to see people shooting dink bucks on the wife's family ranch. Feels like a missed opportunity to grow a stud buck.  If they just want meat I ask em to shoot some does.

sharptail grouse
7 hours ago, kgb said:

That's my take, who is doing the dragging and under what conditions?  I shoot deer because they are tasty.  Antlers from the bucks are sitting on shelves in the garage.

You got any 200 inchers collecting dust in the garage?

I didn't think so.....