Your Whitetail Buck Preference?

Weight or Rack  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What your preference?

• 200 lb Whitetail buck with 100 inches of antler.
    • 100 lb Whitetail buck with 200 inches of antler.
    • Spike Horn.

Fire Marshal Bill

I'm in Gary's (Gizmo) camp, if it's brown it's down. Don't care about size, just want to put meat on the table. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sharptail grouse

• Brad Eden

• garyRI

• kgb

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After 20+ years?  I'll take any buck and call it a trophy--to perseverance if nothing else.

If it were up to me I'd shoot yearling deer every time with an occasional "decent" buck just so I still feel manly!  Our yearling deer are usually 100lbs and there isn't a piece of meat on them that n

This is the smallest of the three bucks I shot last year. Got it on public land in MA and they require all bucks to be checked in. Weighed 156# and gross green scored 120.  I do not "get" comment

Posted Images

shoot-straight

I'm an antler guy regarding bucks- put simply the meat on many bucks I have cleanly killed, field dressed and butchered was borderline inedible. 

I wont shoot one that won't go on my wall. Plenty of does here to shoot.

On 6/11/2019 at 7:32 AM, Brad Eden said:

Me either but with all the Farm raised mega bucks being bred...it might happen...

I cull on a 6000 acre ranch in S Texas with 1000 acres high fenced. They feed protine all year and corn deering deer season. The old/big bucks are all arounf 200#

5 minutes ago, garyRI said:

I cull on a 6000 acre ranch in S Texas with 1000 acres high fenced. They feed protine all year and corn deering deer season. The old/big bucks are all arounf 200#

No doubt. I was thinking of the deer farm raised bucks with racks so big the deer can hardly hold up its head. Freaky in my opinion. Offspring of those bucks are sold both doe and buck as well as semen when people want to infuse rocking chair racks in their deer. From what I understand.

PS, I vacationed in the area of TX that you have said you hunted. The bucks I saw there were well proportioned, as far as body/rack. I'd be proud to take some of the bucks I saw.

None. Had a guy doing garage door work start talking about deer, he was a trophy hunter. I asked him if he'd look at the one big rack sitting by my tool box and he said he already had. Figured it for 140 and I had to ask what that meant, so he told me how they're judged. Okay by me, I had been shooting what seemed like the same year and a half old 6-point each year from the same area (biologist at the deer check station ages them) and the bigger rack came around during muzzleloader season so I shot him.  

You know, sharptail, in the event you mature a bit, you'll realize some people just like to shoot deer to eat them, enjoying the journey and ties to when they started out hunting. No big drama, hard-core push to kill a monster more for bragging to others on similar ego trips, it's just how some people enjoy the sport.  Mostly older guys like me, slated to turn 55 in a little while.  

Kirk

20 hours ago, sharptail grouse said:

Best I could do was 235 lbs dressed with a 178 inch rack I need something bigger for it to be a trophy so if it is brown it is down that is the group I am in

What planet do you live on where a 178 inch rack is not a trophy? And I'll speak for Brad and ask you where a 235 pound dressed buck is not a trophy. .....at least in Maine.

Clearly you did not understand what I was saying so let me explain it 46 years ago when I was 16 I shot the above buck that was the Trophy of a lifetime in NH at the time it was #4 in the state record book for many years and it is still in the top 20. 

Do I ever expect to see another bigger then that no so I dont hunt for trophy deer if it is brown it is down but for the record I have kiiled about 100 deer in my life I prefer them to be around 130-150 dressed that I find is the best eating for me antlers or not it matter not one bit to me.

6 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

PS, I vacationed in the area of TX that you have said you hunted. The bucks I saw there were well proportioned, as far as body/rack. I'd be proud to take some of the bucks I saw.

6 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

The open range Hill Country bucks I've seen have small bodies. I shot an eight point with a decent rack that weighed 120 tops.

sharptail grouse
12 hours ago, WPG Gizmo said:

Clearly you did not understand what I was saying so let me explain it 46 years ago when I was 16 I shot the above buck that was the Trophy of a lifetime in NH at the time it was #4 in the state record book for many years and it is still in the top 20. 

Do I ever expect to see another bigger then that no so I dont hunt for trophy deer if it is brown it is down but for the record I have kiiled about 100 deer in my life I prefer them to be around 130-150 dressed that I find is the best eating for me antlers or not it matter not one bit to me.

No, I understand it well I think. I have a couple a hair under 170 and another a little smaller. I don't trophy hunt any more either - last year I shot a spike and if given a choice I'd much rather shoot a cow elk than another whitetail. But if a 200 inch whitetail stepped out in front of me first I'd shoot it and I think 99.99 percent would. I don't pursue him exclusively, but.......

Congrats - that's big deer you shot. But I can see how a dinky 170 wouldn't hold much for you anymore. I'm kind of glad I wasn't 16 when I shot my biggest deer though. 😉

A 200" wild buck is something very few hunters will ever see.  I only shoot mature bucks but where I hunt that doesn't mean they'll be monsters.  120 to 140" is about the best I can expect.  The genetics and nutrients just won't let them grow bigger.  I'm happy with them and consider them trophies.

For full disclosure I started this Poll to try and get under Sharptail Grouse's skin....

I know the choices arent realistic. I honestly like a balanced body/rack mature buck no matter the size of the body. A lot of "preference" is based on what is available in the area you live and/or hunt. In Maine we are in the northern range of the Whitetail. Very little agriculture and year round feeding management compared to many other states. So the deer concentrate their energy on putting on weight to deal with the harsh climate. In general their rack size pales in comparison. When we do shoot a buck with a good rack, it's a real plus and I've had a few of those mounted. So it's only natural to "judge" a mature buck by weight up here, although as mentioned, that is changing with the new generation deer hunters who lust for large measurable racks. 

sharptail grouse
4 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

For full disclosure I started this Poll to try and get under Sharptail Grouse's skin....

I know the choices arent realistic. I honestly like a balanced body/rack mature buck no matter the size of the body. A lot of "preference" is based on what is available in the area you live and/or hunt. In Maine we are in the northern range of the Whitetail. Very little agriculture and year round feeding management compared to many other states. So the deer concentrate their energy on putting on weight to deal with the harsh climate. In general their rack size pales in comparison. When we do shoot a buck with a good rack, it's a real plus and I've had a few of those mounted. So it's only natural to "judge" a mature buck by weight up here, although as mentioned, that is changing with the new generation deer hunters who lust for large measurable racks. 

Ha! 

Of course it depends on where you live. But the question was.........

I very seriously doubt there is a 200" buck within 200 miles of where I live either (and probably damn few within 500 miles). As you say one has to factor in a lot of things when you consider what a "trophy" is where you hunt. My biggest deer was just under 170 and very heavy, but it was also so old that its teeth were at gum line - what the biologist called an 8 - 11 year old deer. That deer never came close to 200".

BUT - a 200" buck is a 200" buck......and again - the question was.........

And our survey says..........!

2 hours ago, sharptail grouse said:

And our survey says..........!

Your comment apparently spiked some meat eaters to join the Poll. Closing in.....!

sharptail grouse
5 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Your comment apparently spiked some meat eaters to join the Poll. Closing in.....!

Uh huh. Sure.

I have no doubt that there are a few purists out there (old farts) that would pass up many once in a life time chances (you name it - literally - use your imagination 9_9  - and it would probably not surpass a 200 inch whitetail in reality) just to say they would. That's just how they are. That or I have gotten under their skin >:(

Brad - you have not definitively answered this question yet yourself - just repeatedly danced around the edges......:D 

Besides, nobody said you couldn't eat that 200 inch deer. That old buck I referenced above? One of the best tasting whitetails I've ever shot - in every way! And I am being honest in saying that I would not ever trade those antlers for an extra 50 pounds of deer meat. Unless I was starving to death. 

7 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Mission accomplished. I love it when a plan comes together.

😚

1 minute ago, Brad Eden said:

Mission accomplished. I love it when a plan comes together.

😚

You should be careful, this board is moderated and guys like you with your rabble rousing ways can disappear in an eyeblink!