Your Whitetail Buck Preference?

Weight or Rack  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What your preference?

• 200 lb Whitetail buck with 100 inches of antler.
    • 100 lb Whitetail buck with 200 inches of antler.
    • Spike Horn.

14 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Mission accomplished. I love it when a plan comes together.

😚

He was punked.  Brad doesn't rate the size of his trophy bucks in inches of antler instead by lbs of back straps

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sharptail grouse

• Brad Eden

• garyRI

• kgb

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After 20+ years?  I'll take any buck and call it a trophy--to perseverance if nothing else.

If it were up to me I'd shoot yearling deer every time with an occasional "decent" buck just so I still feel manly!  Our yearling deer are usually 100lbs and there isn't a piece of meat on them that n

This is the smallest of the three bucks I shot last year. Got it on public land in MA and they require all bucks to be checked in. Weighed 156# and gross green scored 120.  I do not "get" comment

Posted Images

sharptail grouse
41 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Mission accomplished. I love it when a plan comes together.

😚

Mr. Moderator -

Are you waiting for me to let "the monkey Sh** fly"?

And ..... you still haven't answered the question at hand........

sharptail grouse
33 minutes ago, mccuha said:

He was punked.  Brad doesn't rate the size of his trophy bucks in inches of antler instead by lbs of back straps

Uh Huh. Sure.

sharptail grouse
On 6/12/2019 at 3:37 PM, kgb said:

None. Had a guy doing garage door work start talking about deer, he was a trophy hunter. I asked him if he'd look at the one big rack sitting by my tool box and he said he already had. Figured it for 140 and I had to ask what that meant, so he told me how they're judged. Okay by me, I had been shooting what seemed like the same year and a half old 6-point each year from the same area (biologist at the deer check station ages them) and the bigger rack came around during muzzleloader season so I shot him.  

You know, sharptail, in the event you mature a bit, you'll realize some people just like to shoot deer to eat them, enjoying the journey and ties to when they started out hunting. No big drama, hard-core push to kill a monster more for bragging to others on similar ego trips, it's just how some people enjoy the sport.  Mostly older guys like me, slated to turn 55 in a little while.  

Kirk

Well I'm slated to turn 58 and as I said before my days of spending  hours sitting in one spot waiting for a big racked whitetail are behind me, though sitting practically motionless on the ground in one spot has its charms, even at -15. You get to see a lot of cool Sh**. In any event I'd rather bird hunt and as I said earlier I shot a spike last year for the freezer and was happy to be done with it. All I have been trying to say is this:

If that 140 incher stepped out with a 200 incher which would you shoot? Honestly?

There doesn't have to be any "big drama, hard-core push" to appreciate a buck with a big rack. We all do. Otherwise you probably would have passed up that buck you shot for one with a bigger body ;) 

Come on. There seems to be no sense of humor when talk of "trophy" Whitetails comes up. That's for sure. They do strange things to people, all over their range. That includes me. Started this Poll for fun, and some ribbing, and I'm still having fun. Others mileage may vary.

I’m not much of a deer hunter.  I do hunt them, but until bird season then I’m done.  I only hunt trophy deer ( our trophy deer are not huge maybe max 140 class) . I do like deer meat but don’t live off it due to the wife not caring one bit for it. I will go several years without shooting one and I’m fine with that.  I will kill a doe if someone really wants meat but the little bucks are off limits.  We have let kids that have never shot a buck shoot a small buck but that’s about it.  If we ate deer and stocked the freezer with it I doubt I’d shoot a small buck and instead shoot some does. The does in my opinion taste better anyway. 

sharptail grouse
53 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Come on. There seems to be no sense of humor when talk of "trophy" Whitetails comes up. That's for sure. They do strange things to people, all over their range. That includes me. Started this Poll for fun, and some ribbing, and I'm still having fun. Others mileage may vary.

Oh I'm all in for the fun, though I have to say that comment "in the event that you mature a bit" stung a bit 😖But whatever. I probably deserved it. I usually do. I got over the trophy thing a long time ago.

I should start a new poll: What would you rather do?

A) Hunt for 15 minutes on opening day and bag 3 nubbin spurred, pin feathered roosters

B) Hunt all day in December and finally come up with a dragon tailed, scimitar spurred methuseluh of a rooster

44 minutes ago, sharptail grouse said:

Oh I'm all in for the fun, though I have to say that comment "in the event that you mature a bit" stung a bit 😖But whatever. I probably deserved it. I usually do. I got over the trophy thing a long time ago.

I should start a new poll: What would you rather do?

A) Hunt for 15 minutes on opening day and bag 3 nubbin spurred, pin feathered roosters

B) Hunt all day in December and finally come up with a dragon tailed, scimitar spurred methuseluh of a rooster

C. Kill 'em all.  They deserve it.  The bastages.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:11 PM, sharptail grouse said:

You got any 200 inchers collecting dust in the garage?

I didn't think so.....

I misread this as a genuine expression, for that I apologize for thinking you so base.  I didn't realize the spirit of the exchange Brad started with this thread, I should have read more closely.

I like shooting big bucks. And they might not be quite as tender but they still eat well if handled properly. I'm retired and widowed so I have a lot of time and the 150 nearby acres where I am the only guy with permission is about 5 minutes from my house. I took two 130-140 bucks off that property last season. And one in that zone the year before. All three around 200#s. Until last year I thought 130-140 was the biggest buck that territory could produce. Lasy year I saw a buck on that property, with long drop tine, that easily went 150. This year I'm getting the trail cameras out and maybe buying one that transmits to my cell phone. If I see that big guy I'll be waiting for him all season.

sharptail grouse
9 hours ago, kgb said:

I misread this as a genuine expression, for that I apologize for thinking you so base.  I didn't realize the spirit of the exchange Brad started with this thread, I should have read more closely.

It was easily misread and I'm glad you now see it in the spirit in which I meant it. That's the problem with these forums (and my sense of humor) and its why I use so many emojis. Any deer rack that brings back memories of the how, where and why of the hunt is a trophy deer rack. But the whole trophy thing has gotten out of hand and as Brad pointed out too commercialized. Its turned into a business to sell crap we don't need. I have often thought that if I ever shot the world record anything I'd hang it in my house and never enter it in a book. Bottom line is if you like to hunt whitetails pretty soon it becomes obvious that if you shoot the first buck that walks by you are done hunting.  This is good if you'd rather be hunting something else but anticlimactic if you want to keep looking for a buck.

From my perspective its not the size of the deer but the size of the hunt.

A few examples of Maine bucks. None would make MASTC/Maine Antler & Skull Trophy Club. 

image.jpeg

Top is my biggest bodied buck and "biggest" 10 pt rack. 222 lbs dressed and a weird 24" wide rack, with a sorta drop tine on a long main beam with double broken off brow tines on that side. Rather pedestrian hunt. I put myself in the right place at the right time. The far right mount on bottom is a heavy 9 pt that went 205 dressed. That was shot within 50 yards from that wide buck about 6 years apart. Again, I had found a spot that held at least one good buck every year. The small European mount in middle is one of the few deer I have managed to catch up to and kill while tracking in the snow. Small buck, huge hunt. The average 6 pt on bottom left was my first "decent" racked buck that I shot in Maine, way up on a local mountain, hard and long hike to  to get to, the spot had that feeling.

image.jpeg

Last truly big buck I've shot and you don't see any gray in beard so it was awhile ago. Shot up on the side of the same  mountain exactly where I shot that 6 pt. I was sitting on the ground against a huge boulder at first light, catching my breathe from the hike up, and had just done my first Bleat call Series. He grunted which caught my attention as he cruised up the ridge 75 yards to my right, I threaded the needle through the beech whips. 200lbs dressed. Again nice rack but wouldn't score particularly high.

IMG_0518.JPG

What you can expect from most 2 or 3 year old Maine bucks. 170 pounds dressed, basic 8 pt, but was a bow kill that required significant scouting and patience. Bow kills typically rate high on the big hunt scale.

On 6/12/2019 at 5:37 PM, kgb said:

Figured it for 140 and I had to ask what that meant, so he told me how they're judged.

Lots of talk about big racks (140 point rack is big & 178 is huge) without any pictures.

4 hours ago, garyRI said:

Lots of talk about big racks (140 point rack is big & 178 is huge) without any pictures.

I__00008.JPG

IMG_0908.JPG

How very true that is.

Top is the buck I was after last fall in expanded bow zone, caught on trail camera. Looks eerily like a buck mount spoof cam photo, but isn't.

Bottom is that same buck that  was shot with bow by my buddy who is the landowner in this management zone.

The minimum score to make the Maine Antler & Skull Trophy Club for typical is 125". Not sure what this buck scored by taxidermist but it wasn't enough to make that club. And it was a huge antlered buck by Maine standards.

No 140" racks here, just a few respectable PA bucks. The shoulder mount was my first archery buck back in the day. Nothing big rack wise (it was a healthy, for this part of PA, 152lb dressed deer) but it was memorable and a first. Otherwise, I'm not much of a mount guy. 

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg