REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
DennisMcFeely

Guy de la Valdene article

DennisMcFeely

There’s a short article on him in the current issue of Covey Rise magazine for anyone who may be interested 

hayslope

Thanks for the heads up Dennis!  The man wrote one of my favorite woodcock books.

Jack L

To say Guy has had an interesting life is an understatement. 

I really enjoy his books . 

Big Pine

Thanks for the heads up. He’s probably my favorite writer on birds and bird hunting.

Larry Brown

I loved it when he tried to feed toast and trail to the Cajuns.  I thought it was impossible to gross them out, but he succeeded.

Ben Hong

Whoooeee Gaston, dis here Frenchman likes to eat woodcock chitlins!

Sage Hen

I met Guy in Ketchum ID. in the late 80s and although we only talked a short while I'll say he was not the sort of man you were likely to forget.

406dn

I have several of his books and he comes across as an exceedingly interesting man. Thanks for the heads up.

Scrappy

He wrote my favorite book on upand bird hunting.

kgb

I may still have one of his books, and either in that book or in a separate article he expressed a rather denigrating view of the locals somewhere in the upper Midwest (the U.P. I think) which gave no reason to care further for his writing.

DennisMcFeely
6 hours ago, Big Pine said:

He’s probably my favorite writer on birds and bird hunting.

Mine too. 

1971snipe
5 hours ago, kgb said:

I may still have one of his books, and either in that book or in a separate article he expressed a rather denigrating view of the locals somewhere in the upper Midwest (the U.P. I think) which gave no reason to care further for his writing.

I've heard and read that there are many that feel that way, some very strongly.  Personally I've not yet read any of his stuff, so I'm neutral.   Never read Covey Rise either.  I turned through one issue that was at a B&N, but that's it.  I'm way behind on my reading, I guess.  

Larry Brown
16 hours ago, kgb said:

I'm pretty sure that passage is in "Making Game".  I'll have to check and see if I can find it.  I seem to recall something about an elderly woman who looked like a witch.

Larry Brown

Found the passage I was thinking of in "Making Game".  It does indeed refer to a "practicing witch", including a most unflattering description and a reference to her being  "the  mother of four mongoloids".  But the previous page makes another reference Michiganders in particular might not appreciate:

"South of Traverse City, where we often hunt, the land is poor and the inhabitants poorer.  Rampant unemployment, alcoholism and a certain inbreeding have left in their wake a brutish demeanor in the carriage of men."

The same section also contains the following lines:  "Americans are people born with cap guns strapped to their legs.  They are shooters, unfortunately of a kind whose undeniable rights have also won them the dubious honor of killing each other at a rate one hundred times that of their closest rival."

He does, however, go on to suggest that Americans are the best natural shooters, even though they use "for the most part an ungainly, gas-operated automatic that bears all the charm and balance of a ratchet".  He compares that to shooting fitted guns in Europe . . . but he does admit that the American "shoots better than his French counterpart, who by nature is not very coordinated."  And he doesn't have very kind things to say about Parkers or Smiths or Foxes in comparison to British bests.

Result:  There are undoubtedly those who will find reason to take offense at some of the things he's written.

C.J.L.
2 minutes ago, Larry Brown said:

Found the passage I was thinking of in "Making Game".  It does indeed refer to a "practicing witch", including a most unflattering description and a reference to her being  "the  mother of four mongoloids".  But the previous page makes another reference Michiganders in particular might not appreciate:

"South of Traverse City, where we often hunt, the land is poor and the inhabitants poorer.  Rampant unemployment, alcoholism and a certain inbreeding have left in their wake a brutish demeanor in the carriage of men."

All those folks now live in Florida so it's cool.