REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
DennisMcFeely

Guy de la Valdene article

1971snipe
4 minutes ago, kgb said:

I picked up a copy of Seasons of the Hunter for the same reason, lucked out as it was a library kill.

It's actually a pretty good read overall, really.  But this is the Valdene thread, so ...

But wrt Covey Rise Mag, I'll give it another look next time I see it on the B&N or other racks.  

DennisMcFeely
7 hours ago, sharptail grouse said:

Is there a link?

I don’t believe it’s available online 

DennisMcFeely
12 hours ago, lee sykes said:

the late, Michael McIntosh.  

He otoh was good.

Don Steese
On 7/1/2019 at 9:33 AM, C.J.L. said:

All those folks now live in Florida so it's cool.  

Not all! Some of them spend the winters in Arizona with me!!

I received the woodcock book as a gift. Found it quite engaging. There's probably some truth to his take on our love affair with guns, but it does  probably come across as condensation to a lot of folks. If I took offense at everyone who looks down their nose at me I'd hate everybody!

Larry Brown
13 hours ago, lee sykes said:

and they are pretty hard to tell apart.  Once discussed this with the late, Michael McIntosh.  Actually he brought up the similarity of their styles and having practically memorized the book,  years before, I did recall having to look to see which one wrote each story.  He admired both men a lot. 

That's interesting.  I've never thought of them as having similar styles, but I really enjoy reading both.  Smith, to me, comes across with a different sense of humor than Hill.  Maybe more like Corey Ford in his "Lower Forty" pieces in that respect.

Larry Brown
13 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Funny thing is, as I have mentioned multiple times  before. Steve Smith is one of my favorite writers. And that I wish he would edit less and write and publish more. 

Now that he's retired, Smith is writing more.  Recently came out with a book on pheasant hunting.

Larry Brown
44 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

I received the woodcock book as a gift. Found it quite engaging. There's probably some truth to his take on our love affair with guns, but it does  probably come across as condensation to a lot of folks. If I took offense at everyone who looks down their nose at me I'd hate everybody!

Don, I think you mean condescension rather than condensation . . . unless maybe you think he's a drippy writer. :)

lee sykes
1 hour ago, Don Steese said:

I got that book too from Carol Barnes for buying a couple of other books from her.  I thought it a real sleeper and read it thoroughly.  His section on patterning has been very useful and convenient.

Don Steese
3 hours ago, Larry Brown said:

Don, I think you mean condescension rather than condensation . . . unless maybe you think he's a drippy writer. :)

I knew what I meant but my fingers had a different take!!😁

Ben Hong
5 hours ago, Don Steese said:

"Condensation"? If that was intentional, bravo Steesie! If on the other hand it was a malapropism, blame spell check!

Ben Hong

In the realm of modern outdoor (upland) writing, there is Guy deLaValdene and Mike McIntosh and everyone else,  as they are erudite and educative. Many of the other praised and lionized writers will never be read several times over by me. Writers have to express an opinion, otherwise why would I want to spend time and money reading the same predictable paeans of pap over and over again? If your hobbies, region, country or predilections get a few words of criticism in a book...suck it up buttercup! It is far better than being completely ignored.

lee sykes

Well said, Ben.   "If thy right eye offendeth thee, pluck it out".   One of the most offensive suggestions ever.  

Larry Brown
17 hours ago, lee sykes said:

Well said, Ben.   "If thy right eye offendeth thee, pluck it out".   One of the most offensive suggestions ever.  

Especially if you happen to shoot right handed.

Brad Eden

My memory has dumped, but I think it was writer Steven Mulak who expressed a disdain for Woodcock in at least one of his ruffed grouse books. Don't hold me to that. I admit it bothered me but didn't stop me from biuyng and reading his books. My favorite Is Brown Feathers, which may be his first book.

kgb
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

My memory has dumped, but I think it was writer Steven Mulak who expressed a disdain for Woodcock in at least one of his ruffed grouse books. Don't hold me to that. I admit it bothered me but didn't stop me from biuyng and reading his books. My favorite Is Brown Feathers, which may be his first book.

Disdain for their flavor?  If so, I wouldn't hold it against him either.