How do I track my own wandering on a hunt, as to how far I walked.

I realize this may have been covered many times before.

Signed, tech Luddite 

Cooter Brown
36 minutes ago, grouse28 said:

How do I track my own wandering on a hunt, as to how far I walked.

I realize this may have been covered many times before.

Signed, tech Luddite 

From the home menu scroll down to "Trip Computer".  Press that.

You'll see lots of info there including an odometer.  Press on the menu which is the three bars at the bottom.

You now have a series of choices including "Reset".  Choose that.

You'll now have four choices.  Choose the top one, "Reset Trip Data". That'll reset the odometer and other info to zero.

Be careful not to choose "Delete All Waypoints", though if you do you'll be asked if you're sure you want to do that.

It dawns on me that tracking collars and their receivers must both have GPS receivers on them.  I had guessed the collars were the only units in need, they'd send coordinates back to the handheld which was basically a map to display the data.  I've been contemplating a GPS-only collar, really just for the az/range data rather than mapping, to keep track of a dog.

10 minutes ago, kgb said:

It dawns on me that tracking collars and their receivers must both have GPS receivers on them.  I had guessed the collars were the only units in need, they'd send coordinates back to the handheld which was basically a map to display the data.  I've been contemplating a GPS-only collar, really just for the az/range data rather than mapping, to keep track of a dog.

In order for the mapping to work in the field, the receiver must also have GPS, so it knows how far/what direction from where. 

8 hours ago, NECarson said:

In order for the mapping to work in the field, the receiver must also have GPS, so it knows how far/what direction from where. 

I'm whatever class tech luddite is at least 2 steps below grouse28, and assumed the unit simply used a collar sensor's locational data to display on the map.  Did not take the step to consider the handheld keeping track of its relationship to the collar, and recording that, until the question of how to display such a history came up here.  Generally the tales are of how far/fast a dog runs, I chalked anything past that to "magic", likely involving a compass but left it there.  My prior experience is with a Garmin GPS12, marking where the truck was parked and how far/which direction to head to return to it.

1 hour ago, kgb said:

I'm whatever class tech luddite is at least 2 steps below grouse28, and assumed the unit simply used a collar sensor's locational data to display on the map.  Did not take the step to consider the handheld keeping track of its relationship to the collar, and recording that, until the question of how to display such a history came up here.  Generally the tales are of how far/fast a dog runs, I chalked anything past that to "magic", likely involving a compass but left it there.  My prior experience is with a Garmin GPS12, marking where the truck was parked and how far/which direction to head to return to it.

I basically only like technology where I see a value for my life. Lol

The stuff is confusing! 

Cooter Brown
3 hours ago, kgb said:

The Alpha and Astros are based on Garmin's 60 series GPS platform which is the most robust of their offerings.  The long antenna is a radio antenna to communicate with the collar.  The short, stubby thing next to the long antenna is the GPS antenna.  The other Garmin platforms have an internal "patch" antenna like cell phones do.  The external antenna is used because it gives better GPS reception.

The upshot is that the Alpha is a very good stand alone GPS.

If you look at the map on the Alpha as you move around, you'll see that it leaves a track for you as well as the dog(s).  You can change the color of this track so that it contrasts with the color of the dog tracks.  I use the track for navigation.

3 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

The Alpha and Astros are based on Garmin's 60 series GPS platform which is the most robust of their offerings.  The long antenna is a radio antenna to communicate with the collar.  The short, stubby thing next to the long antenna is the GPS antenna.  The other Garmin platforms have an internal "patch" antenna like cell phones do.  The external antenna is used because it gives better GPS reception.

The upshot is that the Alpha is a very good stand alone GPS.

If you look at the map on the Alpha as you move around, you'll see that it leaves a track for you as well as the dog(s).  You can change the color of this track so that it contrasts with the color of the dog tracks.  I use the track for navigation.

I've only started looking at the Astro, not wanting a combination trainer and tracker as I already have a trainer, a 2000 T&B from years ago that keeps on plugging.  Checking through some of the posts on collars now I see complaints about the Alpha's touch screen, another reason to look at just an Astro.