Above and Beyond English Setter Rescue

2 minutes ago, Mike Connally said:

That is not the case with ABESR. 

Your participation is a wonderful gift to the dogs.  You have my personal hoorah, hoorah.  I'm certain the personal satisfaction is wonderful too.  I was initially gobsmacked when the group I belonged to decided not to place dogs anywhere they would be hunted.  They lost five very active members, myself included, who fostered and transported dogs, all at our own cost.  The group placed one of the primary hunting breeds.

God bless ABESR and you for your efforts.  Wishing I was closer, I would help in an instant.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mike Connally

• john mcg

• gunsrus

• salmontogue

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve been helping this rescue group for a few years now. As a transporter, I join others by taking a leg in the dog’s journey from a shelter to a foster home. Sometimes it’s a journey from a foster to

You're a good man Mike .

No Hunter is a black and white guy of pretty fair size for a setter, he's a wonderful guy but is very skittish, he is very loving and loves affection, problem is just some little thing will set him of

Posted Images

Back around 2006 or so, I rescued a setter from these folks.

An older fella, transported Buddy all the way from TN and stayed with me and hunted with me for a few days.

It was a pleasant time.

Mike Connally
1 hour ago, salmontogue said:

God bless ABESR and you for your efforts.  Wishing I was closer, I would help in an instant.

These folks operate all over the eastern US. If you like I could give you a contact. 

7 minutes ago, Mike Connally said:

These folks operate all over the eastern US. If you like I could give you a contact. 

That would be great.  Thank you.

Mike Connally

This one popped up today. In a kill shelter, down to its last day or so. 

ABESR was notified and immediately offered to foster the dog. It may yet get adopted locally, because there finally seems to be some interest. If not it will be rescued. 

Oklahoma. Almost certainly a bird dog. 

22FD417A-942D-472C-BB5B-AE77A0B9AE58.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this, currently I have three setters from Above and Beyond, and have three that have passed, all were great hunters and great buddy's. I have also fostered and transported for Above and Beyond, hunting did not ever come into the rescuing.

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2019 at 9:26 PM, MUSTANGER7 said:

Wondering if you did not help transport "Lucky" one of our Above and Beyond fosters about 3yrs ago or so, we have his brother Hunter who is pretty mixed up emotionally so we adapted him, fail Fostering 101 repeatedly? He was headed to Pittsburg, PA. At the moment we have three of their setters and have adapted three others in their senior years and have now passed. The couple worked at Quantico Marine Base????

Hey Mustanger7, is Hunter the little tiny setter that was orange and white and kind of had buggy eyes? I actually convinced my wife to let us apply to adopt him but he was already claimed by the time I submitted my application. If you have him, how is he doing? 

No Hunter is a black and white guy of pretty fair size for a setter, he's a wonderful guy but is very skittish, he is very loving and loves affection, problem is just some little thing will set him off and he'll start running. He runs circles in the back yard always to the right, he sleeps right next to me, where he came from before we think?? he was never socialized and also treated badly mostly verbal as just talking loud with frighten him. I take him out some on a check cord dropped a couple of times and he will just keep going the direction he's pointed. Tried minor obedience of sit, stay etc but it freaks him out, so he'll have a good life as house dog and buddy. He is a good looking setter in the picture he is at the far end of the couch, the other setter is Ben an 8yr old we rescued last March, took Ben out this morning for the first time as it finally got cool enough. He did very well seems to work pretty close 50 yds or less and listens well, from what his past owner (jerk in my read) and what the guys wife said Ben had been worked with a really heavy hand, I rely more on bonding and leadership with how I handle my guys, its always worked well, we've buddied up since March so I have high hopes. Sometime around the house and yard we get Hunter and Ben confused.

IMG_3867.JPG

Yep, that's a different dog. We ended up rescuing a golden retriever and it took him about a year to totally trust us and become a loving, awesome dog. I'll rescue a setter one of these days. Glad those boys ended up with you. It looks like they've got it good now. 

I am so glad that you have taken this fella to heart.

It both breaks my heart and encourages it.

You have done a very good thing.