REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

Favorite ford bronco

blanked

What era bronco had the best appearance 

WPG Gizmo

1st Gen was the best looking I had a Full size 2nd Gen that was OK the Bronco 2 was a waste

max2

I like the OJ bronco style 😀 seriously though I do

Ruger1
19 minutes ago, WPG Gizmo said:

1st Gen was the best looking I had a Full size 2nd Gen that was OK the Bronco 2 was a waste

Couldn't disagree more. I had a Bronco II XLT in the mid-80s, 4-speed manual and a V-6. It was certainly peppy enough on the road and as I recall gas mileage was pretty good. The cabin was large enough to hold two side x side dog crates but the wheelbase short enough to do easy  turn-arounds on abandoned railroad grades when grouse hunting in Michigan's U.P.

Ruger 1

Samuel Hoggson

Had a '78 with the 351.  Really liked all that room.  MPG was about 15, same as my 6.2L F250.  Thought the older ones had nicer looks.   

Don Steese

As a card carrying member of The Loyal Order of Old Pharts, I always have a story to bore folks to tears with. My very first 4X4 was a 65 Bronco that had been rolled over. Bought it from the insurance co. for a tune. Ordered a half top for it and made myself a little pickup truck. Thought the top would come in one piece but it came in six. Had no welding rods so we welded it together using coat hangers.  Straight six, three speed on the column, vacuum wipers, and lock out hubs. Fun little truck!!

GuyO

My wife and I were in Altoona taking care of more of my Mom’s affairs last Thursday. An older fully restored Bronco came up right beside us. I assume it was restored. There’s no way it was still that perfect after all these years. I would say it was early seventies. It was that Ford blue with white top and white wheels. It had small red and dark blue pin stripes around wheel wells. I drove slow beside him for a distance and ogled it! It was sweet!!

BlacknTan

Never owned a Bronco, but the original was. by far, the most appealing to me.

Everything you needed... nothing you didn't!

Marc Ret
18 minutes ago, BlacknTan said:

Never owned a Bronco, but the original was. by far, the most appealing to me.

Everything you needed... nothing you didn't!

Bill, I had an '89 Eddie Bauer Bronco for a while back in my twenties. It was Black and Tan to boot! Loved that vehicle but wasn't practical when I started doing construction so I sold it and bought my first F250. 

Pulled this pic off the web but it looks exactly the same as the one I had. I'd like to have another if I could find one with a 351, in good condition for not a lot of coin...

image.jpeg

Brad Eden

My favorite is whatever that small boxy year was. Old I guess.

Tim Frazier

I passed on a chance to buy a 2nd generation, 81' I believe, with a 4 speed (T18 maybe) and straight 6.  I have kicked myself often as I think that would have been the best bird hunting vehicle ever made.  Such is life.

First generation Bronco's are the iconic ones though, like CJ5s.  Cool, maybe not practical.

WPG Gizmo

Early Jeeps like the CJ5 or 7,  Fj40 landcruisers, Scouts and 66-77 Broncos all had their place as work horse vehicles meant to get you into and out of the places you had to go there was nothing fancy about them just solid working vehicles. 

Once they started adding creature comforts they all went down hill now a days you cant not buy a FJ40 Landcruiser or Scout or even a Bronco at the dealer they dont make them any more.

You can still get a Jeep Wrangler but it is not the same as a CJ and while it is the most purchased 4x4 vehicle made today 90% never get used for what they are made for they get all dressed up to go to the Mall not the woods.

Jakeismydog2

Well finally a topic I actually know a little about!

My first vehicle was a 66. I took my senior pictures with that truck. I still have it. In storage back in my hometown. That one had a 170, with a three we moved to the floor. It had a different steering box than even later 66 models. The turning radius on it was only hindered by the tires hitting the frame.

After that one my dad and I started collecting others we found. The one I drove the most back in high school and college was a 1972 half cab. It had been repainted at some point. My dad called the color calf scours yellow, my buddies called it the copper crapper, I called it big sexy. It was rusty and awkward. And I realized later that my dad thought it was perfect because there was no way to get anyone pregnant in it. It had bucket seats in the front with the transfer case shifter blocking the way, the "bed" which want big on a bronco was made smaller by having a too box installed. Plus most ladies were repulced by the look of it, and it's lack of AC.

We also had a 77 that had a 302 and 3 speed. It was actually quite sharp looking and I think I despised it some looking so nice. Those were the three we drove the most. The others we collected mostly just sat in storage.

When I went to college my dad and mom thought I needed AC in order to go on dates. So I got a 1990 Eddie Bauer bronco. It actually was a very nice truck and served me well. However once the weather cooled down I would switch back to the 72.

My hunting buddy back then had an 85 bronco ll that we Hunter in a bunch, then he upgraded to an 89 bronco ll. People tend to hate on those bronco lls and they were not great trucks but they were perfect for 2 guys and 2 dogs hunting... Unless the dog got sprayed by a skunk.

I never had a 78-79 body style truck. While not nearly as good looking as the early broncos I did like them and think it would be fun to have one.

mccuha

First gen.  I like that Jeep look.  

A ford dealer in town has the first one that came to the dealership when his dad started. His dad kept it.  He spent a ton but brought it back to original condition. Keeps it on the showroom.  I really like going and checking it out every once in a while. He even has his dad’s original bird dog box that his dad used in it.