REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

Favorite ford bronco

TB Owl

I like the early ones the best.   I had one of those Bronco II's(1987) and liked everything about it except it bled me dry in repairs at a time in my life when I could least afford it. I had bought it used so who knows how it was treated before me.  I found it capable for my uses on jeep trails in the desert .  Far more comfortable and enjoyable than my 1978 CJ7 I had years before.

Don Steese

I guess mine must have been a 66 since, according to the folks here who know a thing or two, they didn't start making them till then?? I loved that little truck and it saved my wife's life!! A few days after our daughter was born, must have been about Feb 12th or 13th 1972, Judy started bleeding heavily. This was during a massive snowstorm with about 20 inches on the ground and it was still falling heavily. We  called the hospital, I rounded up a few strong neighbors, and in 4wd, with three guys pushing, we got the Bronco out of the trailer park. The road was only marginally better but we got to the hospital. The Doc arrived on a snowmobile and operated. He said later that if we hadn't made it she likely wouldn't have either. Bravo Bronco!!

Marc Ret
20 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

I guess mine must have been a 66 since, according to the folks here who know a thing or two, they didn't start making them till then?? I loved that little truck and it saved my wife's life!! A few days after our daughter was born, must have been about Feb 12th or 13th 1972, Judy started bleeding heavily. This was during a massive snowstorm with about 20 inches on the ground and it was still falling heavily. We  called the hospital, I rounded up a few strong neighbors, and in 4wd, with three guys pushing, we got the Bronco out of the trailer park. The road was only marginally better but we got to the hospital. The Doc arrived on a snowmobile and operated. He said later that if we hadn't made it she likely wouldn't have either. Bravo Bronco!!

Kind of ironic that you and Judy started out your life together in a trailer and now you're spending your golden years together... in a trailer (almost). 

Jakeismydog2
55 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

They came out in 1965 but we're model year 1966

Don Steese
55 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

Kind of ironic that you and Judy started out your life together in a trailer and now you're spending your golden years together... in a trailer (almost). 

It was a very nice mobile home by 70's standards in an equally nice park which is still in operation but now a skid row park. That trailer had a tragic beginning and end for us. We got the money to buy it from a settlement brought about by a head on car crash that nearly cost the two of us our lives. We sued the drunk who hit us and won. Bought the trailer and a couple years later it and all our other worldly possessions were completely destroyed in the 1972 Agnes flood. We were only a stones throw from the banks of the beautiful Susquehanna, which wasn't too beautiful that day!! Been an eventful life!

kgb

One trip with a couple friends got me wondering about the SWB vehicles as we ran down a rutted, sloppy secondary road.  I was the passenger in an extra cab S10 and the other guy was driving a Bronco II.  We were mostly sloshing around a bit where that shorter truck was being whipped around pretty bad.  Weight difference might have had something to do with it as well, but the wheelbase seemed the main culprit.  Ramchargers look stubby, I've wondered about their ride on and off road.

paul frey

1st generation was the best looking one I think. If I could get one I would. Had a 1980? 302 engine. I really liked it but it was a gas hog. I was in the military at the time and not making a lot of money so I traded it in on a small Japanese compact car. I wish I could

get that one back. Drive a Chevy Silverado now

gunsrus

I'm in the two door SUV camp but mine is a 1999 Chevy 2 door Tahoe . Lots of ground clearance , easy turnaround , plenty of room for three dogs and gear . 10 ply tires and ready for Maine logging roads . End of the season back to the detailer to buff out all the branch rubs into the paint . The dedicated "grouse mobile" .

IMG_0726.JPG

gunsrus

IMG_1009.JPG

frak

Memories of my uncle bouncing us across the landscape in the open back, from one pond to another in northern MN, to fish & swim all summer long.  Turns out, when I googled around, he had an International Scout, not a Bronco.  Both were fun cars.

chilly460

Easy one, the Gen1 1966-1976.  I had a '66 with a 351windsor and a c4, 4.10s and 35" tires.  I bought it and fixed some sins from the prior owner, needed to have the body lift reduced but never go to it before selling.  Very cool little trucks, and look very good when setup correctly.  Love the 78-79 too. 

DSCF0076.JPG.51882f032ad1e618fa8dce04cfb2df88.jpg

Marc Ret
18 hours ago, Don Steese said:

It was a very nice mobile home by 70's standards in an equally nice park which is still in operation but now a skid row park. That trailer had a tragic beginning and end for us. We got the money to buy it from a settlement brought about by a head on car crash that nearly cost the two of us our lives. We sued the drunk who hit us and won. Bought the trailer and a couple years later it and all our other worldly possessions were completely destroyed in the 1972 Agnes flood. We were only a stones throw from the banks of the beautiful Susquehanna, which wasn't too beautiful that day!! Been an eventful life!

Geez, quite the ride Don. IIRC, your home (not the one with wheels and an engine) is in the Northumberland area. Was that where you were living when Agnes hit? I don't remember Agnes (wasn't born till '73) but I've seen pics from that flood. Devastating. 

Glad circumstances have improved a bit for the two of you in the intervening years. 

Don Steese
1 minute ago, Marc Ret said:

Geez, quite the ride Don. IIRC, your home (not the one with wheels and an engine) is in the Northumberland area. Was that where you were living when Agnes hit? I don't remember Agnes (wasn't born till '73) but I've seen pics from that flood. Devastating. 

Glad circumstances have improved a bit for the two of you in the intervening years. 

No, we were living across the river from Lewisburg. The place was called Bucknell View Trailer Court because the University was right across the river. 

jeff88
On 7/14/2019 at 9:22 AM, Don Steese said:

Straight six, three speed on the column

You had all of the old pharts, especially me, with this ^.

jeff88
On 7/14/2019 at 9:31 AM, WPG Gizmo said:

You can buy a new old style 1st Gen 66-77 Bronco if you have the cash they go for $120,000- 180,000 https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/07/1966-ford-bronco-gateway/

Just read about this in the WSJ as well.  You name the old ride, it can be restored and made better.