REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
blanked

Favorite ford bronco

jeff88
13 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

No, we were living across the river from Lewisburg. The place was called Bucknell View Trailer Court because the University was right across the river. 

Don, nowhere near the misfortune you suffered but over in PGH, Agnes was no lady.  I recall the Highland Park Dam on the Allegheny, all 20' high under normal circumstances, completely under water.  

chilly460
22 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Just read about this in the WSJ as well.  You name the old ride, it can be restored and made better.

I've seen the market on the old Broncos absolutely explode, look on Ebay and there are bunch of them for $50k or more.  Makes me shake my head, as they're dead simple to restore, there's no chrome or other doodads that has to be restored to make them so expensive, that I can see.  They are generally rust buckets, and being 4wd costs a bit more to restore, but I just don't understand it.  I don't know who's buying them up, but they must have become popular outside of normal "car guy" circles to be bringing those prices.  Someone paying $120k for such a simple vehicle makes my head hurt, even if everything was done "premium" I'd have a hard time figuring out how to spend $40k building one.  

jeff88
8 minutes ago, chilly460 said:

I've seen the market on the old Broncos absolutely explode, look on Ebay and there are bunch of them for $50k or more.  Makes me shake my head, as they're dead simple to restore, there's no chrome or other doodads that has to be restored to make them so expensive, that I can see.  They are generally rust buckets, and being 4wd costs a bit more to restore, but I just don't understand it.  I don't know who's buying them up, but they must have become popular outside of normal "car guy" circles to be bringing those prices.  Someone paying $120k for such a simple vehicle makes my head hurt, even if everything was done "premium" I'd have a hard time figuring out how to spend $40k building one.  

There's a lot I don't get, this is one of them.  Maybe something a bit more exotic or classic like a land rover defender.

Have to ask my neighbor who bought his three kids two brand new, 4 door jeep wranglers and an f150 crew cab - all 4wd -- none of which has ever left the pavement.  Why?  That's what his kids wanted when they turned 16.  Both girls got jeeps, the boy got the pick-up.  Dad drives an s-class benz, mom a lexus suv.  Seems like something he might do.

mccuha
3 hours ago, chilly460 said:

Around here you will have a hard time finding for sale. If you do they are asking a ton for them.  This is the first gen. I can remember when you could get them dirt cheap.  

chilly460

Yep, the one pictured in my post I bought for $5k in 2001, I added the wheels and some seats out of a Celica, but otherwise same as pictured (plus fixing a lot of things that really didn’t cost much).  I sold it for $8500, it would easily bring $15-17k from what I’ve seen today.  Just nuts

sidepass

Just this weekend at a family function my 80 year old cousin and I were talking about his Bronco. A 1971 Stroppe Baja Bronco equipped with a 302  and C4 auto and a hardtop that has never been removed. It has the red white and blue paint job all the Stroppe Broncos were painted. Mostly used for deer hunting Wyoming some years back.

Ron reported he's been offered 80K plus for this thing. Not for sale as he doesn't need the money. Just crazy.

chilly460

It's interesting because, IMO, they aren't as iconic, but the 78/79 Broncos are pretty cool with the removable top and two year only body, but are DIRT cheap still.  At this phase of my life, I'd love to do one.  Super simple to get parts for as they're basically an F150, take easy engine swaps, nice wheelbase and interior room balance.  My '66 was cool but it would wear you out on drives longer than an hour.  I suspect their value has lagged because the 80-96 "big" bronco filled the same niche.  

The 76/77 Broncos came with disk brakes, power steering, good axles, v8, etc...but a lot of the earlier ones were missing these pieces and they can be pricey to retrofit.   I put a Dana 44 under my truck and used a bastardized mix of Ford and Chevy 1/2 ton parts to put disk brakes on it, but they were still manual brakes and it was manual steering.  Usually it's fairly easy to upgrade to power brakes but early Broncos require a bracket that angles the brake booster so as to not hit the valve cover, and at the time it was $$.  The power steering box alone was $450 for a core, 15yrs ago.  

67diesel

If you guys like first gen Broncos, you will love the new one coming out.  I had a '74 that I had welded on new door pillars and tailgate, then practically gave it away to pay for my last semester at MSU.

kgb
14 minutes ago, 67diesel said:

If you guys like first gen Broncos, you will love the new one coming out.  I had a '74 that I had welded on new door pillars and tailgate, then practically gave it away to pay for my last semester at MSU.

I hope it has some ground clearance, no air dams or similar hanging just above the ground.

dogrunner

How bout a nice Eddie Bauer all ready for the snow. 

65F04930-742E-42E2-AEC5-2A5EC5620F01.jpeg

AA324288-1AFA-40A0-ABE7-D9106B7F55DF.jpeg

Jakeismydog2

I can across this Bronco II recently. Those bronco ll's don't get much respect. My buddy had 2 of them when we were in highschool. We hunted out of that rig a ton. Worked pretty well for 2 guys and 2 dogs... Until a dog found a skunk!

It's not often you find bronco ll's in good shape. So I had to take a picture of this one. It was in immaculate condition for a Bronco LL.

IMG_20190824_121337.jpg

Jakeismydog2

IMG_20190824_121409.jpg

OldSarge

I had two of the small originals when I was a kid. Then they were just old trucks. Now they are “iconic”. One was an automatic T shifter on the floor. The other was three on the tree. Both had 302 motors. One was red and white, the other black and white. They started having mechanical issues so my dad took them to my uncles house for repairs. Uncle passed away before he could work on them and the broncos sat in the field next to his barn. When I finally realized what I had a few years later, I went to my uncle’s old house to try to claim them from the new owner of the property. Vehicles were gone. To scrap. I wanted to puke. Drove an ‘89 full size for many years while in the Army, until it was rear ended by a dump truck. 

bobman

You can buy early 90s models down here for 3-5 k in nice shape

I would use one of them with a manual and eliminate the fuel infection and computers. Go back to a simple carb system but have the much improved suspension and brakes compare to those early ones, ford doesn’t support early electronic computer controlled transmissions or fuel injection systems 

I couldn’t believe it when I just looked on Craigslist and 60s versions are going for 50 k, that’s just stupid people with way too much money

but it’s their money so different strokes for different folks 

Marc Ret
50 minutes ago, bobman said:

You can buy early 90s models down here for 3-5 k in nice shape

Is there a secret handshake you have to know to get those prices?

Broncos w/in 500 miles of Monroe, GA