REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Jazz4Brazo

2020 Ford Explorer Platinum vs. Toyota Highlander Platinum

Curt
40 minutes ago, NECarson said:

Indiana is in America. 

Oh, is that where the profits end up...Indiana?  

25 minutes ago, Curt said:

Oh, is that where the profits end up...Indiana?  

Worker pay, yes. 

Corporate profits? They are both public companies. 

Curt
7 minutes ago, NECarson said:

Worker pay, yes. 

Corporate profits? They are both public companies. 

Yep I know that.  All I'm saying is that Ford's world wide corporate headquarters is in Dearborn, Mi., an American company.  Toyota's world wide headquarters is in Japan, a Japanese company.

25 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yep I know that.  All I'm saying is that Ford's world wide corporate headquarters is in Dearborn, Mi., an American company.  Toyota's world wide headquarters is in Japan, a Japanese company.

And I'm saying that making a couple of rich people richer is irrelevant to me, regardless of where they are from. 

A bunch of average workers paying bills happens in both cases. 

Curt

And of course you're free to buy anything you like as am I.  What ever gave you the idea I would care what kind of vehicle you buy?  I simply stated that I prefer to buy Ford, that's my personal preference.  It wasn't said to rile anyone up, I don't give a hoot what anyone else buys.

RookieEP
11 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Since the Highlander doesn't have a 3rd row of seats, doesn't seem like that is part of the decision mix.  Then what about Honda's new Passport?  It's a two row seating SUV that has a similar approach to AWD (like the Explorer) with settings for various conditions.  It's basically a shortened Pilot with better AWD running gear.  Honda seems to have bought into the MDX SH-AWD system for this as well - it uses true torque vectoring instead of quasi-torque vectoring employing braking.  My belief is the Acura SH-AWD is the best over the road AWD system out there, adding conditional settings to that seems like a good idea.  AWD will never be as good off-road as 4WD with low range but you might not need that level of performance.  Honda's are as bullet proof as Toyota's for build quality.  

BTW, if this is down to the Highlander, I'd also look at the latest Acura RDX - it seems about the same size but nicer than the Toyota.  

My wife's highlander has a 3rd, we opted for captain chairs for middle rows- Kids think they are high rolling.  I own a H. Pilot and the highlander is a lot quieter and drives smoother but doesn't have the room of the Pilot.  

Lurch
4 hours ago, NECarson said:

Indiana is in America. 

We talk funny and can't pronounce our city names (lie Versailles, for instance), but we're still 'Mericans...

Can't help you with an explorer, but if you're looking for a non-rich Hoosier to make  a little richer,  can I offer a suggestion?

Lurch

double post :(

4 minutes ago, Lurch said:

We talk funny and can't pronounce our city names (lie Versailles, for instance), but we're still 'Mericans...

Can't help you with an explorer, but if you're looking for a non-rich Hoosier to make  a little richer,  can I offer a suggestion?

I owe you a beer for the wit you shared so generously with a Texan! 

jeff88
14 hours ago, RookieEP said:

we opted for captain chairs for middle rows- Kids think they are high rolling.

...and it keeps them separated!  "Dad, Herman touched me!"  

When we were just 4 of us on a long trip in our Expy, I folded down the middle row for luggage and the dog with the two of them in the 3rd row.  They loved that set-up, that seat had a lot of room and they felt like they were more on their own.  With a bike rack hanging off the 2" hitch, it also made loading/unloading from the middle a lot easier.  

DoubleAuto

Bought a new Highlander Limited in 2017.  Have put about 33,000 miles on it and love it.  Would buy another one.  Replaced a Toyota Venza with 125,000 miles on it that I had planned to keep till it dropped.  But one of my granddaughters badly needed a reliable vehicle and we gave it to her.  It is also running strong.  Looking to buy a Rav4 to replace my wife's Accord (just because an SUV is more convenient for her).