REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Spiller

Combined tracking and training collars questions.

Jhiggins

The alpha is a great system I use it for both my French Brittany's and Beagles. If I didn't use it on my beagles I would get the Garmin pro 550 plus. The alpha I find is a little harder to make corrections with when you need to which I thinking time is more critical with bird dogs then running beagles. 

Ridge Runner

Re geo-fence.  All that I read is that the Garmin will alert you if dog leaves the boundries set up.  The fencers do more than alert you.  So, is there a way to program the Garmin to do more than alert you?

RR  

Ridge Runner

Re geo-fence.  All that I read is that the Garmin will alert you if dog leaves the boundries set up.  The fencers do more than alert you.  So, is there a way to program the Garmin to do more than alert you?

RR  

Speaks
On 8/18/2019 at 9:38 AM, Ridge Runner said:

RR  

No, because of GPS sway its not accurate enough to be good for auto correction. Position can change and be off 20 feet or so at times. Dog could be napping in the yard and all of a sudded get a correction for no reason. Its handy but not quite good enough for corrections. 

Ridge Runner

Thanks

dvmweb

I have used the Garmin Alpha since the get go. 4-5 years plus.

Replaced a gps for me, beeper collar and shock collar for dogs. Cost was a wash.

I have learned to use it.

Quiet, my dogs hold pretty well so the system directs me right to them.

I do regular software updates and calibrate the compass often.

We have worn out 2 collars.

Garmin has excellent service and the rig is dependable.