REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Your First Vehicle?

Brad Eden

This subject matter has probably been hashed over before but not for awhile I don't think. The working teenagers Topic inspired it.

What was the very first car or truck you owned. Not a parents car, but the first vehicle you personally owned and drove on the road. How old were you? Where did you get it? Why did you get that vehicle? How long did it last, etc?

IMG_1196.JPG

I don't have any actual photos but this is the exact car I bought when I was 16.5 years old, soon after I got my drivers license. A white 1967 VW Beetle. I found it in what amounted to a junkyard. Can't remember what I paid for it, but not much in the scheme of things, but a lot for a teenager. It was all I could afford with the money I had saved up from odd jobs.

What distinguishes this from other VW bugs is that it was the last year they came with the bow tie bumpers, and they have thin decorative trim as opposed to thicker aluminum trim like years prior. It was the first year for the 1500cc engine, first year for 12-volt electrics, first year for the standard upright headlights. There are many one year only parts on the 67 model year too. The 67 is considered one of the most desirable old beetle amongst collectors.

Mine needed a lot of work, had the usual rotted out floor boards and heating ducts resulting in little or no heat in cold weather. The engine ran OK and sounded like the signature bag of nickels. When it started acting up I simply changed the plugs, points and condenser. It was a 4 speed manual and generally a real POS and a death trap. Back in the mid to late 70's there wasn't a lot of state car inspections going on, so if it ran it could get registered. When something went wrong that I couldn't fix there was a VW repair shop close by. There was always a small greasy VW repair shop around back then. They could swap an engine in a couple hours or so.

I think I had it for around 2-3 years, and can't remember whether I junked it or sold it. If I was a wealthy man I'd look for and buy a restored 67 Beetle just to have for nostalgia. 

aje4

1969 Chevelle SS with a 396, 4 speed Hurst shifter....thing was amazing and I crashed in the snow two weeks after I got my license!

steveziv

A Ford Maverick.  Three on the tree, under dash 8-track and a very light rear end.  My first one spun out in the rain and was totaled, my second one did 360 spins in the snow twice while staying on the road, and that with sand bags in the trunk.  This car probably should have been the subject of a class action suit.

bright-orange-ford-maverick-antique-car-

sharptail grouse

1976 Datsun pickup. It was a great rig for me at that time when all I cared for was hunting, trapping and and fishing.Of course it all changed in a year when the evil opposite sex pushed all that aside and I just had to buy a 1977 Grand Prix.

RuffChaser

A 1969 Plymouth Valiant. It was my Grandmother's. The year was 1986 and I had just graduated from High School.

OldSarge

1977 Ford Thunderbird. Maroon paint, White top. 351 Windsor under a hood so long you could play football on it. Had all the bells and whistles. Paid $750 for it in 1986. The rocker panels were rusty when I got it and rotted half way up the doors when it died from a collision with a snow bank. Dang road salt.

406dn

My first car was a white 65 Chevy SS 396 with sadly a power glide tranny. I got it in the summer of 1970, I think. If memory serves it cost $1050. While it wasn't the best hunting rig, it was fun to drive. I do remember turning the horsepower loose from time to time. It lasted thru college, got sold to a guy who wanted the engine.

chilly460

1986 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, turbo 4cyl 5spd.  I desperately wanted a Mustang but my father, very wisely, knew I'd kill myself in it.  Spent months searching for one, mine was a little "beat" but funny because it had leather and dual power seats back when those sort of things were still a BIG deal.  Maroon with maroon leather interior, just as pictured.  

We paid $3500 from Dealin' Dave's car lot near Harrisburg, PA...one of those cheapie car lots you find near big auto auctions.  I think I kicked in $1500 on it.  

I had it for two months and kicked out a rocker arm while beating on it terribly, I would hammer on that poor car every time I drove it. As said, it wasn't well cared for, lack of oil changes allowed the cam to wear enough that the rocker arm had enough clearance to pop out, amazing it even ran.  Those little 2.3L Pinto engines held up to 15psi of boost from the turbo back before knock sensors and somehow lived with a kid putting cheap gas in them, no idea how. 

Found a shortblock out of an SVO mustang that had been rebuilt, guy rolled the car and was selling it.  Had the cylinder head rebuilt, put it together and installed it after football and then wrestling practices.  I thought my Dad was a maniac for making me do it after school and practice and then laying on concrete while temp was in the 20s, but looking back it was a great experience as I really appreciated the car much more after that.  I had to bum rides and beg to drive my mom's 87 Taurus wagon while I was working on the Thunderbird. That was in 1992, drove the car til 1998 when clutch and heater core were on their way out and bought a Ranger.  

1985-Turbo-Coupe-L.jpg

C.J.L.

1974 Mustang II.  Brown hatchback with the right side full of bondo.  Did the job

Tim Frazier

1967 Chevy Pickup that had a 327 from an old Vette put in it.  I rolled it before I turned 16 1/2 and ended up with a 68 followed by another 67.  Lord only knows where there might be pictures but I'm sure there are some.  The 68 was pristine with a polished oak bed and went to a collector when I was in my 20s.   The last 67 had a 350 with enough cam to handle a 396 4 barrel I got cheap.  With a 4:11 rear end you could punch it at 55 and watch the gas gauge go down!

67-c10-james-k.jpg

gaberdeen

1970 Buick Riviera. 1984 just turned 17. Car had been my grandfathers. 455 big block with a 4 barrel carb. Wish I still had it.

Virgil Kane

63 Chevy Nova.  No pic's but drove that car all over.  With the 194 ci straight six engine I could never get it to go faster than about 60mph even going down hill.

Virgil

chilly460
6 minutes ago, gaberdeen said:

1970 Buick Riviera. 1984 just turned 17. Car had been my grandfathers. 455 big block with a 4 barrel carb. Wish I still had it.

Awesome first car, the ultimate long range cruiser!!  

SelbyLowndes

I had no car of my own until I was a sophomore in college.  You guys had some nice vehicles, mine was a well used Plymouth Valiant with no power steering and the push button transmission.  I put a knob on the steering wheel so I could parallel park the thing.  I thought it looked pretty good with a canoe on the top most of the time.  The car's long gone, but I still have the 17 foot Feathercraft aluminum canoe...SelbyLowndes 

SEPAlander

A 1984 2-door Chevy cavalier, in what can best be described as doo-doo brown. Paid $800 flor it, previous owner had wrecked it. To get it to pass VA inspection, had to shim the driver side headlight with wood so it would point where it was supposed to. Previous owner also did something to the wiring installing an aftermarket radio, so I had to install a toggle switch on the dash to switch between low and hi beams. Total POS, but it got me back and forth from northern VA to Virginia Tech for 3-years. Wasn’t at all sad to see that one go.