REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Your First Vehicle?

Lurch

1967 Olds Delmont 88 convt just like this one but with a red interior. Found it on the north side of denver, drove it home in a snowstorm with the top down just as a Bronco game was letting out - got a lot of strange looks from folks.

Factory 425 - Hauled @ss and Burned G@s!

delmont.JPG

Mike da Carpenter

1980 mustang with a 4 cylinder.  Got it when my Grandma passed away in 1989 when I was 17.  Sold it to the neighbor’s daughter the day before I went into the Army.

Not the one I had, but a close match.  Mine was blue and white and didn’t have the hood scoop.  When I’d press on the gas, I always waited for a voice to come over the speakers and ask “What is this?”.  It was a dog, but got me to school, then work and back till Uncle Sam provided me everything I needed.

F7C93370-E313-4D2A-B8D0-9AC6A2237534.jpeg.8eceb13837f49835ba91ac08c72688b4.jpeg

Jack L

Great minds think alike Brad.

Mine was a  Green 1967 VW Bug, it had several adventures. I got it stuck in a snow drift, hit a deer.   It was a fun car. 

bigdog MN

1972-1976 generation, two-door white Mercury Montego. Same style as the Starsky and Hutch car.  Hood was a mile long and doors were about 4' long. Covered the rear seat with old carpet for the dog and put a roof rack on to carry the duck boat. Car road like a dream on the highway but not much clearance for trails.

ccavacini

1956 Blue Ford with 3 snow tires.  Padded dash melted away.  Girlfriend's dad wouldn't let me park in their driveway because it leaked oil.

Heater worked but the fan made a horrible noise.  Radio worked---that's all I needed.

Loved that car.

canvasback

My first (and second and third) car was a 1972 Datsun 240Z in silver. After totaling it, I bought a 1973 model in this orange. And finally I ended up with a black 1971.

I bought the first one about a week after I turned 18 in 1976. I had moved several months earlier from my family home in Winnipeg to the big city of Toronto. Moved out in early April....first thing was to get a place to live, then get a job. Then get a car. Things were going pretty damn well by the time mid August rolled around. I even hunted with those cars. Mind you, I also off roaded for hunting in my 1963 Volvo B18, my Acura Legend, my 67 Camaro RS/SS convertible.....pretty much most cars I've owned. Haha!

For someone 18 to 23 in the late 1970's, they were almost the ideal car. Simple to work on. Great looking. Fast for their day. Great handling. Tons of interior room given they were just 2 seaters. Reliable and cheap to fix. Too bad the Japanese hadn't figured out rust yet. You hardly ever see one any more. I've had lots of great cars since but none I loved as much as my 240's.

12247208-1972-datsun-240z-std.jpg

gunsrus

Graduated HS in '69 and bought a '65 Ford Galaxie XL , two door , Red with Black vinal top , $1000 . Bucket seats with back seat bigger than my living room . 

Lots of fun in that car . 

Sold it a year later and bought my first muscle car a "67 442 with Hurst 4 Speed . Wish I still had that . 

Canuck

1959_Ford_Country_Squire_Cars_c3f669c3-1

In 1968 I bought a 1959 Ford Ranch Wagon all fins, fake wood siding and chrome. Paid $125 for it and a stock car. Switched engines between the two and sold the stock car for $35. Great hunting and fishing vehicle. Comfy bed in the back. 

A good friend of mine did a nice job of painting "The Shaggin' Wagon" on both front doors. My girlfriend's mother was not too impressed.

Sold the car for $100 to a couple guys from Moose Jaw heading west. Told them to check the oil when they filled-up with gas. They blew the engine before they reached Swift Current. Wanted their money back but to no avail.

Speaks

My first was an 89 Chevy celebrity that we bought from my grandma for $500 when she got to old to drive in 2000. I guess my parents owned it so not sure if it counts or not, but effectively it was mine. The first in my name was an 04 Honda accord that we bought in 2002 when I was going to college. It was in my name but parents bought it (deal we made that if I hit a specific GPA that year, think it was 3.8) that they would pay x amount for a car for me to take to college so not sure if that counts either. First I bought on my own was a 98 GMC sierra when I was 21 right after graduating from college. 

Marc Ret

Started out in a hand-me-down '79 Chevette POS that had been my older brother's. Had enough of that rusty piece of junk after six months and bought myself a 1986 Jeep Comanche 4x4 in 1991. Been driving 4wd vehicles ever since. 

NC Quailhunter

My first was a hand me down 1976 Chevy Vega. Had it for a year and then I went to boot camp and it died while I was gone. I learned how to do a lot of different repairs with that car.

RayB

66 Chevy Malibu bought it when I was on leave after I rotated back to the lower 48 from AK. 283 with a slush box two speed auto.

GuyO

In 1972, my senior year in high school, I bought a 1964 Ford Fairlane from my Grandad. I don’t remember what I paid him. I think it had a 289 V6. That car could scoot!

NW River Mac

image.jpeg.dc378028d13871fc201040392176e78f.jpeg1972 Toyota 1600 deluxe  What I remember most about it was that  it held a lot of empty beer cans and bottles.

Dave Erickson

Rusty '75 orange Chevy Vega.