Brad Eden

Your First Vehicle?

spinfly

My first owned was a 1976 Chevy Nova, forest green, got it the year I graduated HS ('81) before heading off to college. It was a tremendous POS, all I  can say is it got me from Point A to Point B, and was glad to get rid of it.

Starsky

First was a 1964 International Scout that I bought soon after graduating high school in 1968.  That fall I went to a little college in eastern Oregon where I used the Scout to major in big game hunting.  Got a nice bull elk, a mule deer buck and a black bear during my first term of college.  Studies didn't go all that well.  Wish I still had a Scout.

Recoil Rob

In 1974 I bought a 1966 Triumph Spitfire...

Not the exact one but exactly the same...

IMG_1570-1.jpg

Spitfire_3_edit-e1490054161317-940x678.j

WI Outdoor Nut
1 hour ago, Speaks said:

My first was an 89 Chevy celebrity that we bought from my grandma for $500 when she got to old to drive in 2000. I guess my parents owned it so not sure if it counts or not, but effectively it was mine. The first in my name was an 04 Honda accord that we bought in 2002 when I was going to college. It was in my name but parents bought it (deal we made that if I hit a specific GPA that year, think it was 3.8) that they would pay x amount for a car for me to take to college so not sure if that counts either. First I bought on my own was a 98 GMC sierra when I was 21 right after graduating from college. 

Not my first car I OWNED, but the 1st car I drove, was the Chev Celebrity wagon.  While the 4 cyc engine was a dog and kept me out of trouble from high speed, seating for 8 and seats that laid down flat is not a good idea for a boy who loved big parties and chasing girls.  A lot of good memories in what we called the Power Wagon. 

OutlawTorn

I bought a white '97 Chevy Silverado with about 60k miles for $10k when I was 18 in 2002.  I loved that truck and it enabled some of my best memories as a young adult.  I sold it with about 160k miles to a Canadian guy years later because I just had to have something newer, wish I'd never done that.  Saw it about a year after the sale smashed up in a bad accident, waiting on the side of the road for a tow truck.  Every truck I've bought since has been white.

topdog1961

Not this exact Rally Nova, but just like it, same color, 3 speed on the floor. Except mine had Keystone black spoke mags. I did some crazy stupid stuff in that car when I was 16, but ironically crashed it when not trying to go fast. As was common in the day it had far wider tires in the back. This must have really whacked out the wet road handling because on the two occasions the front tires broke loose in the wet, it scared the hell out of me. The steering wheel would violently rip loose from your hands and rapidly spin one direction, hit lock, spine the other direction, hit lock, repeat until the car came to a near stop after violently whipping back and forth across the road. The first time it stayed on the road, but I had no control over that. The second time was in a hard left curve on the side of a mountain, in the dark, rain, with gravel. On the right it dropped off over the mountain. Fortunately the car ended up spinning almost a 180 and ended up in the left ditch against a rock face. It buggered up the front end so I went  to a junkyard and got a blue front end and swapped it myself. I drove it two tone for about a year before selling to my best bud as his first  car. 

EA777DB5-EC09-4BB0-892B-A7E0336B1026.jpeg

Lurch

already posted MY first purchased car, but the car my little (6'7") brother and I (6'6") learned to drive in was a hand-me-down '79 Dodge Colt, identical to this one.

Except that we removed the rear seats and relocated the front seat track back about 8" so we could fit. When sitting in it we would look sideways out the back windows.

colt.JPG

fishvik

In 1972 I bought a 63 Ford 1/2 ton 2WD for $650. 223 straight six, 3 on the tree and steering by Armstrong.

stripersonfly

The very first car I owned was a car I bought from my parents.  It was a Chevy Cavalier station wagon. It was the absolutely cheapest model my dad could buy.  It was a 4-speed manual transmission, no ac, no radio, no lighter, no power anything.  It looked like the car below (Note these are not my photos, but ones I got of the web)

48488420086_84c333b218.jpg

The very first new car I purchased, all on my own was a 1992 VW Fox.  It looked something like this, without the red racing stripe

48488420041_fc0099aa48.jpg

CptSydor

Not sure it counts as 'buying' but my parents gave me (when they bought a new) the family 1993 Mercury Topaz in exchange for work I did on an apartment building they owned. This was in my 3rd year of university, blew the head gasket before I graduated and sold it cheap.

Second vehicle was a 2002 Toyota Corolla, technically own by girlfriend/fiance/wife at the time. She bought it on a loan from my parents (my parents hated investing in anything but a guaranteed thing, so they eagerly loaned us money at better than the going interest rate for us, and better than a GIC for them), she had full-time job while I was in grad school, but we shared general expenses, her slightly more than me. 

First vehicle I ever went out and bought straight on my own was a 2006 Chevy Colorado after I finished grad school and got a job. 

92113321990716.jpg

2006-Chevrolet-Colorado Regular Cab-FrontSide_CTCLR061_505x375.jpg

stripersonfly

On a related note...just last night I took my oldest son, Jake (24) to buy his first new car.  He is the proud owner of a 2019 Honda Civic....he picks it up tonight.  It was funny to watch the bitter sweet moment.  Bitter as he empties a god portion of his checking account for the down payment.  Sweet as  he look as the new car.  Cannot wait to pick it up. 

Dakota Dogman

After first year of college mom and dad gave me a '78 2 wheel drive Toyota long bed to get back and forth to college in.

After got married grandparent-in-laws wanted their princess to have something nicer. Told me to go buy her a car. I said I would love to, but no money.

Grandpop said no worry about the money, get her a car. So we ended up with an '89 Buick Riv. Last of the decent Riv. body styles (to my eye).  Miss that car.

First one I bought? a '78 IH Scout in '96.  I hadn't had a 4 wheel drive since dad's in HS & couldn't wait to have some traction again.  It was a yellow one with a traveler cab (2 door, but long bed hatch back).  Didn't know it at the time, but IH had made some with a light 4 wheel drive, just a button on the dash that you pulled out for 4 high.  (IH mechanic laughed at me and called it the chick truck!) Ah well, it still ran like a Scout!

God BLess, 

MNice

Early 80's Nissan 200 SX. Only had it a few months though once I discovered it was a "salvaged" vehicle from Florida (pre-internet days). It was fun to drive, fast (really wanted a Supra) and boy did it have issues. The car would die making left turns (dead short) and when it rained heavily for a few days, things started to add up. I fixed the short but to my surprise instead of dying making a turn, I was doused with about five gallons of water that accumulated in the roof. I took out the head board and interior trim to discover that both front posts were separated from the body and there was "sugar sand" everywhere. I removed the floor boards and found more problems...put all the trim I had taken out into the hatch back, drove to the dealership, parked the car (blocking their service entrance), and walked to my neighbors office, an attorney. 

After some strong words of encouragement, I was told to return to the dealership and pick up a check. When I arrived, of course the check wasn't ready and there was a moment where I thought the owner was going to take a swing at me. Long story short, I received a full refund a few days later after my father paid a visit. Drove the family Suburban for a few years before I bought my fist new car, a VW Jetta. Had trucks and suv's ever since.

Greg Hartman

A 1948 Willys Jeepster. 

1948-Willys-Jeepster-132016.jpg

Technically, this was my very first car.  It was red and had white wall tires like the fancy one pictured above, but was a rusty ruin with a WWII surplus Jeep 4-banger engine in it, no windows (side-curtains), ragged top, etc.  I think I paid $50.  Due to the gearing and the engine, top speed was about 45 mph, with the engine screaming.  But, I only had it a month or so before I blew the engine out of it, so I'm not sure if this counts as a first car.

Wanted something able to really go.  Bought a totaled 1958 Austin-Healey 100-6 for $100 and, with the help of some buddies, rebuilt it from the frame up into this:

Old Pic - Me and Betty in the Healey - 1966

This was my car for most of my youth.  Got into road racing and rebuilt again it for that purpose by removing bumpers, messing with the suspension, installing straight pipes that exhausted just in front of the rear wheels, gumball tires, etc. 

Old Pic - Getting ready for the big race - 1968

It stayed my one and only vehicle until I went in the Army.  Sold it because I figured I wasn't likely to return.  Wish I still had it!

mccuha
5 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

This subject matter has probably been hashed over before but not for awhile I don't think. The working teenagers Topic inspired it.

What was the very first car or truck you owned. Not a parents car, but the first vehicle you personally owned and drove on the road. How old were you? Where did you get it? Why did you get that vehicle? How long did it last, etc?

IMG_1196.JPG

I don't have any actual photos but this is the exact car I bought when I was 16.5 years old, soon after I got my drivers license. A white 1967 VW Beetle. I found it in what amounted to a junkyard. Can't remember what I paid for it, but not much in the scheme of things, but a lot for a teenager. It was all I could afford with the money I had saved up from odd jobs.

What distinguishes this from other VW bugs is that it was the last year they came with the bow tie bumpers, and they have thin decorative trim as opposed to thicker aluminum trim like years prior. It was the first year for the 1500cc engine, first year for 12-volt electrics, first year for the standard upright headlights. There are many one year only parts on the 67 model year too. The 67 is considered one of the most desirable old beetle amongst collectors.

Mine needed a lot of work, had the usual rotted out floor boards and heating ducts resulting in little or no heat in cold weather. The engine ran OK and sounded like the signature bag of nickels. When it started acting up I simply changed the plugs, points and condenser. It was a 4 speed manual and generally a real POS and a death trap. Back in the mid to late 70's there wasn't a lot of state car inspections going on, so if it ran it could get registered. When something went wrong that I couldn't fix there was a VW repair shop close by. There was always a small greasy VW repair shop around back then. They could swap an engine in a couple hours or so.

I think I had it for around 2-3 years, and can't remember whether I junked it or sold it. If I was a wealthy man I'd look for and buy a restored 67 Beetle just to have for nostalgia. 

This was my first car as well.  Dad bought it brand new in 66. I got it when I turned 15.  I drove it for a year or 2 until my dad got tired of seeing me strapping deer over the hood and as well was tired of having to come get someone to pull me off a muddy road I shouldn’t have been on.  He then hit me my first true hunting rig.  1979 4x4 blazer.  Wish I still had that thing.  It was like a tank and never got stuck.  Got close a time or two.  Side note.  

Dad bought the bug new for 3k.  18 yrs later he sold it for 3k.  It was a very dependable ride