REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Your First Vehicle?

Coalman

1972 Ford Mustang convertible. A 302 with a three speed stick.

It was a chick magnet.

Birdcountry70

My first car was a 1970 Dodge Challenger that my dad found being sold for parts. We fixed it up and put a fresh 440 and torque flight automatic in it.  When I was 20 I totaled it and was very lucky to walk away from the crash. 

IMG_20190810_104849042.jpg

walt lister

1939 Ford five window coupe in 1955, somewhat like the pic but on it's last legs. $65 of my saved up part time job money at a local auction. Drove it for over a year then it died (bearings). Traded it and not much money for a 1947 Studebaker Land Cruiser at a local junkyard and drove that for another year, leaked oil like a sieve. A drunk ran into it when it was parked on the street so I bought my first "good" car, a 1950 Olds 88 two door fastback. The Ford had a good body and would be worth a small fortune now.  

ford%20usa%201939_ford-deluxe-5window-cp

jeff88

My 1st car was a '74 Datsun 610 Wagon, a similar one is pictured below, same color as mine.  4 sp manual and front disc brakes.  Datsun 510's and 610's were pretty good drivers for their day.  It had an AM/FM radio where I added a cassette player that played into the car speakers which I also updated with better sounding ones.  Oddly enough, it was replaced in '77 with an older car, a '73 Volvo 144S, also a manual and also red.

Like almost all Japanese cars in the rust belt that 610 started to rust really fast.  Had it not been so badly corroded, the engine and all other parts would have gone long past the body parts.  

Datsun 610 Wagon.jpg

MUSTANGER7

57 Ford Hardtop Convertible blue/white, didn't know anything about cars but it taught me. I was a young Lance Cpl (E3) making $99. a month, that taught me a lot too!

NCgrouse

In 2004, at 20 years old, I bought a 1999 mercury sable station wagon. Yes, right in the heart of my college career. Lets say the ladies didn't love me for my wheels! Paid for by working at a school supply shipping company and a dairy farm. 

I was driving back and forth from Orono to western MA for holidays and school breaks, so I could load all the junk I needed back and forth pretty easily. It also was great for putting dead critters in the back. As I guess one would describe me...practical, and quite uncool. She crapped out about 2012. The rust was too much for her and the steering knuckles were about falling off due to the abuse and road conditions up north. Motor was still nice and strong and clean.

C.J.L.

I can't believe no one said anything by AMC???

No wonder they went out of business.  

Bluegill68

1976 Pontiac Ventura, inline 250 with a automatic, bought it for the tidy sum of $700.00 from my cousin. Drove it from '84-'92, from Pensy to South Dakota numerous times and was the centerpoint for many of my first, girls, sharptails, mule deer and even a Kegger once.   I hated the darn thing when I first bought it and gave up on ever owning a fast set of wheels, sold it for a C-note in Rapid City when the frame rotted through the second time.  

Samuel Hoggson

'64 Ford Falcon wagon, got it around '70, had it for about two years.  A large service truck blew through a red as I was going through a slushy intersection, T-boned driver door.  Manchester, CT. 

Happened before mandatory seat belts - I slid over to the passenger side before impact.  Which was a good move.  Scalp laceration was all I got.  Well, the driver's employer sent me a check for $500 to cover everything..........

Rockdoc

My first car was a badly rusted 1955 T-Bird. The good news was it ran okay. I don't have any photos and anything I could poach off the internet wouldn't do the vast amount of rust damage justice. I was 17 and paid $700 for the car and in retrospect $100 would have been too much.

Steve 

MAArcher

1982 Dodge Omni like this one:

Omni.jpg

Chick magnet.

rideold

1970 International Harvester Scout 800B.  I bought it for $500 in 1986.  If I hadn't beat the snot out of it I would be wishing I still had it.  That said, I'm probably remembering it more fondly than I would if I still had it.  It was a rattly, squeaky bucket.  No windshield wipers and not much in the way of heat.  Everyone got a blanket in the winter.  Perfect truck for a teenager.  

canvasback
1 minute ago, rideold said:

1970 International Harvester Scout 800B.  I bought it for $500 in 1986.  If I hadn't beat the snot out of it I would be wishing I still had it.  That said, I'm probably remembering it more fondly than I would if I still had it.  It was a rattly, squeaky bucket.  No windshield wipers and not much in the way of heat.  Everyone got a blanket in the winter.  Perfect truck for a teenager.  

Worth a bunch of money now if in half decent shape.

rideold
17 minutes ago, canvasback said:

Worth a bunch of money now if in half decent shape.

I bet they are.  Mine wasn't in good enough shape to be worth much in the 80's let alone today!

steveziv
3 hours ago, C.J.L. said:

I can't believe no one said anything by AMC???

No wonder they went out of business.  

My dad bought me an AMC Gremlin that was apparently a bit of a hot rod.  He and my BIL fixed it all up and decided it was too hot for a new driver and sold it before I got my license.  Which was great because I did not want to be seen in that goofy thing.  My Dad seemed to love AMC's, because he was cheap I guess.  I remember many miserable nights spent in the freezing cold and snow holding a flashlight and handing him tools.

Sophomore year in college my GF's parent came to visit and brought her car.  I was dismayed to find it was an AMC Pacer with the Southwestern interior.  Deep down I knew it wouldn't last.