REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Your First Vehicle?

salmontogue

1965 Pontiac GTO Convertible, 389ci Tri-power, 4spd synchromesh Hurst.  My memory is 360hp and fast.....several state troopers suggested improved driving habits.  I joined them some years later.

kgb
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:49 AM, Tim Frazier said:

The last 67 had a 350 with enough cam to handle a 396 4 barrel I got cheap.  With a 4:11 rear end you could punch it at 55 and watch the gas gauge go down!

Tim, does the small block cam fit in a big block among the Chevrolet motors?

I've heard of gas gauges dropping like that but figured it was from fuel surging away from the pickup.  Tanks conforming to the shape of a trunk floor that houses the spare tire can operate quite non-linearly, the first 1/4 of the gauge on my old car drops really fast.  Then, mileage improves greatly!

Threads like this can be a source of answers to security questions, not a high likelihood of being an issue but I usually make up those responses anyhow.  Then forget them and get locked out.  Not so much my first car but the one I really wanted to learn to drive in was a 1970 Olds Delta 88 Royale powered by a 455.  Just prior to me getting a permit, my mom ran the big blue beast into the fender of a Cadillac on an icy road.  Replacement car was a Buick Century with a 231 V6, and without a turbo those things were dogs trying to pull along a larger car like that.  Fortunately, dad picked up a Dodge Van with a 360.  

Edited by kgb

Tim Frazier
8 minutes ago, kgb said:

I've heard of gas gauges dropping like that but figured it was from fuel surging away from the pickup.  Tanks conforming to the shape of a trunk floor that houses the spare tire can operate quite non-linearly, the first 1/4 of the gauge on my old car drops really fast.  Then, mileage improves greatly!

There are MANY here that know more than me but the guy who built the engine had told me he had put a mild cam in it and just never finished it with good carb.  I had little to no money then but went to parts store and they had a rebuilt factory 4 barrel they told be was for a 396 but would likely work and I got it really cheap.  It never seemed to be too much as long as I let the RPMs build a little before flooring it.  I was a hack mechanic at best but it was one hell of a truck and after 4 years sold it for what I had in it.  In honesty, being it was a 67 short bed, I should have just stuck its gas sucking hull in a barn.  Probably would have kept up with the stock market!! Ha

Tim Frazier
1 hour ago, kgb said:

Threads like this can be a source of answers to security questions, not a high likelihood of being an issue but I usually make up those responses anyhow.  Then forget them and get locked out.  Not so much my first car but the one I really wanted to learn to drive in was a 1970 Olds Delta 88 Royale powered by a 455.  Just prior to me getting a permit, my mom ran the big blue beast into the fender of a Cadillac on an icy road.  Replacement car was a Buick Century with a 231 V6, and without a turbo those things were dogs trying to pull along a larger car like that.  Fortunately, dad picked up a Dodge Van with a 360.  

The only other car I saw do the "watch the gas gauge go down trick" was an Olds 98 with a 455 that a buddy from the Army had.  It may have had something to do with the fuel system but I know that beast ate gas like crazy!

Don Steese

1952 Ford two door coupe. Flathead V-8, 3 speed on the column. $250.

Chukarman

When I was 17 I bought my first car... a 1952 MD TD. It was cool.

john mcg

1969 Bug with a bus engine in it..I had fun with that car.

WPG Gizmo

65 Buick Skylark was a graduation gift in 1975 had a lot of good times in that car. 

Next was a 72 240Z first car I bought myself that was 1977 that car was a rocket ship it was fast that was when I realized that fast cars and fast bikes were going to be the death of me if I didnt slow down.

Jazz4Brazo

Paid $600 CDN in around 78/79 for an early Chevy Vega that had seen its day already...4 cyl aluminum block that required I keep a case of oil in hatchback at all times...fill her up and add a quart...belched out on shift changes...one day had to reassemble the carb when the float rattled loose...clutch eventually slipped so bad I had to take runs at the hills on Hwy 491 when  I went to visit my girlfriend in London...give this if flat land Ontario tells it all...eventually sold it for a dual fuel gas/propane Lada (Russian built Fiat) with a cut over switch under the dash...would stall on HWY to you hit the switch when you ran out of propane...it died at a stop light once when black smoke filled the cabin LOL.

Don't  ask why...young and stupid with no family direction and no car experience...live and learn!

images.jpeg.jpg

bigjohnsd

1951 International Harvester Pick Up.  $125 in 1967 age 16

Jacobs

1993 Ford Taurus. Saw plenty of off-road use getting me to hunting spots. I miss that car to be honest, as most people do with their first. It wouldn’t start one morning and I had to call out of work, we had the money, and my grandparents needed a car so I gave it to them and bought a then-new Mazda3. I love the Mazda: it’s a stick, which I love, it’s never had any issues, and it handles like a dream for an inexpensive car; but you end up romanticizing the smell of a little burning oil, the hard shifts, and the worn-out shocks of your first car. 

co_setter

1967 Plymouth Barracuda notchback.  Complete with a ton of rust and a 225 slant six.  It was tough as nails and put up with a lot of abuse.  Drove it 3 years and sold it for pretty close to what I paid for it.

RJR

65 Plymouth Satellite sport convertible. 318 engine with automatic in console between the bucket seats. Bought it for fifty dollars in 72 and drove it four years. It was ragged out but didn’t matter to a teenager. 

Hammergun

My first vehicle was a 1953 F100 Pickup with a 229 Flat Head V8 with an Oil Bath Air Filter. My Father had bought this truck in 1955 used from his neighbor. He drove it for starting his construction company with his brother called the Pearl Bros. Construction Company until 1966 when they bought a 1966 Chevrolet Blue Pickup. They gave it to my Grandpa Pearl figuring it was worn out then. He put a couple of engines in it and drove it until 1975 when he got cancer and passed away in February of 1976. He called it his sports car and would let us grandkids push the starter button when he was ready to go. I turned 16 in January and my dad didn’t believe that kids should be given a car. He arranged for me to buy it from the estate for $300. I had it repaired and repainted in its original Vermillion Red color and the seat recovered. I drove it all over and up to college until the engine block cracked in my sophomore year. My dad had a new engine put in it but it stayed in the barn and wasn’t driven for years. When my dad died my cousin wanted it and was going to restore it. So I sold it to him. It was regrettable now and it still sits in his front yard. Perhaps one day I will buy it back. I miss it. 

sidepass

Year 1972 car a 1962 Chevy Impala 2 door . I rebuilt the 283 small block and painted the car in mom and dads garage. Drove it for 5 years and gave it to my future sister in law. Had always wished it was an SS version with the 409 big block.