REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Brad Eden

Your First Vehicle?

Jakeismydog2

The photo isn't mine. Mine had hub caps. Otherwise that one is a dead ringer for mine.

1966 Ford Bronco. I was on the wrestling team in high school. We had a Saturday tournament in another town, on the bus ride over I saw a 66 bronco posted in the news paper classifieds. I thought how can I get out of this tournament to go look at that? My dad showed up at the wrestling tournament (my folks never once watched me wrestle in high school) which I thought was quite strange. He had the newspaper in his hand. We left as soon as I was eliminated from the tourney. Bought it that day. I don't remember exactly but it was around $2000. 170 straight 6, original oil bath air cleaner, and mechanical full pump that was different than the ones put on the falcons. It was designed to operate at extreme angles. Fenders were uncut. Typical bronco floorboard rust, otherwise pretty rust free. I still own it.

1966-ford-bronco.jpeg

Rockdoc
9 hours ago, Jakeismydog2 said:

The photo isn't mine. Mine had hub caps. Otherwise that one is a dead ringer for mine.

1966 Ford Bronco. I was on the wrestling team in high school. We had a Saturday tournament in another town, on the bus ride over I saw a 66 bronco posted in the news paper classifieds. I thought how can I get out of this tournament to go look at that? My dad showed up at the wrestling tournament (my folks never once watched me wrestle in high school) which I thought was quite strange. He had the newspaper in his hand. We left as soon as I was eliminated from the tourney. Bought it that day. I don't remember exactly but it was around $2000. 170 straight 6, original oil bath air cleaner, and mechanical full pump that was different than the ones put on the falcons. It was designed to operate at extreme angles. Fenders were uncut. Typical bronco floorboard rust, otherwise pretty rust free. I still own it.

1966-ford-bronco.jpeg

That 170 ci straight 6 was a pretty bomb-proof engine and a direct predecessor to the 300 ci 6 that Ford used up until the mid-90's. It had seven main bearings and a cast iron block and heads. It could really take abuse. A friend had a 170 in an early Econoline van (with the engine between the seats). His spark advance went out and the engine started running poorly. I opened up the cover to the engine while we were driving and there was the exhaust manifold glowing red hot! We figured out the problem (a bad vacuum line to the distributer advance mechanism), fixed it and the Econoline ran great for years afterward. I hope you've kept the engine throughout the years you've owned it.

Steve

Windrider

1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 350CID

back bored, polished, racing fuel pump, geared low for towing and a few other goodies.

0-60 in less than 7 seconds with me driving it when it was tuned up right.

Made many a brand new mustang GT owner cry back in the late 80s.

You could slam the accelerator to the floor at 55mph and put rubber down on the interstate.

Jakeismydog2
11 hours ago, Rockdoc said:

That 170 ci straight 6 was a pretty bomb-proof engine and a direct predecessor to the 300 ci 6 that Ford used up until the mid-90's. It had seven main bearings and a cast iron block and heads. It could really take abuse. A friend had a 170 in an early Econoline van (with the engine between the seats). His spark advance went out and the engine started running poorly. I opened up the cover to the engine while we were driving and there was the exhaust manifold glowing red hot! We figured out the problem (a bad vacuum line to the distributer advance mechanism), fixed it and the Econoline ran great for years afterward. I hope you've kept the engine throughout the years you've owned it.

Steve

Those Ford straight 6s were a good engine. They suffered from the 1 piece head design with only a 1 barrel carb. With no real easy way to remedy the issue.

browndrake

I too had a VW bug for my first car.   I was 17 and had just finished my first year of college.  Dad was stationed in Japan for a year, unaccompanied.  I had been driving his van the whole time he was gone, as mom and my older sister couldn't drive a standard.  Just finished finals and I was off to the mountains for a week of fishing.  About 30 mins out of town, the engine blew in that old VW bus.   We swapped the old bus for a couple bugs, a nice one for dad and an old beat up one for me...I was going to baja it.  I think I had it torn apart for more time than it was together and driving.  For somebody without and auto mechanic experience, I sure did a lot with that old bug. 

Dad got home from Japan, drove his bug for about two months, then I ended up with my second car.....his bug.   He wasn't really in love with the bug and was in love with the new Ford Rangers.